Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Default 2007 Whitetail

It has been a great season this year. I got to spend a lot of time with friends and family hunting. I managed to get my second whitetail buck of the year this week. You got to love the quote hunts!

I was lucky enought to hunt with shedcrazy senior on his birthday this week and it was a great day of hunting.

At first light we glassed a meadow that a few good whitetail were travelling thru along the red willows. I spotted a great whitetail buck...guessing in the 160s. We quickly came up with a game plan and tried to cut him off since he was hot on a doe. It took about a mile of walking and stalking but we firgured we had him. Only problem was that he was almost at a no hunting area. At the fence line I had a small window to get a shot and estimated it around 300 yards...four does came across and I got into a prone postion the only way I was willing to take the shot. I waited several minutes and no buck..I got up and thought to close the gap. Then of course he popped up...I scramble to get into postion and he was on a dog run (rutting buck on the move!) chasing another doe. I quickly fired a shot before the fence and missed. I later range it and he had come out farther than the does and shot low! I was disappointed in not closing the gap more!
We walked down to the spot and here comes a truck. Which was the reason he was moving faster than the does. The guy drives across what I thought was an undrivable meadow!!! He asks if we saw anything and I mentioned I had just mised a buck but was just making sure in the little bit of snow we had. He procedes to drive right down the old trail and over the tracks and in the direction we were working It made looking for sign hard but found the tracks and it was a clean miss.
Just then another buck pops up with in 100 yards..A smaller 4*4 buck and both my dad and I take a rest to make sure he is not bigger. I offer the shot to pops and he passes. I then look over his shoulder towards the no hunting area and all I see are points on a rack coming out of the willows! I tell him not to move a muscle. He can't see the buck but it is less than 30 yards from us. I let him jump the fence and shoot! It was unreal.
He is not as big as the first buck but what a morning and a great way to spend my dad's birthday!
He is VERY tight but has 14 scoring points. He scores around 155 + 8" of abnormal points... I actually didn't beleive it when I put the tape on it because he was so tight.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

Default 2007 Whitetail

Way to go Shane. More antlers for your collection.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Nice looking buck, congrats
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM

corgats again nice buck !!!! have you shaved yet
Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Now thats a great lookin buck. Congrats

AKA MAVERICK