Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 PM

Default 2nd bow buck down!!!

I have been hunting hard this year with my bow chasing many animals but mostly chasing the ever elusive whitetail buck. I had a great encounter in the first week of September where I spot and stalked inside 20 yards on a 150 plus but the oat field was thick and I could not tell where his body was to even put an arrow on him.

After that I have been in bow range of a few doe and fawn but not another buck. Seen more bucks but never in range. Even tried another full grown oat field stalk this time going right into the field and worked my way inside 70 yards before the buck jumped up and took off. Just to loud pushing through that thick stuff haha.

Until finally two mornings ago I had a hunch on a tree stand I had hung at the beginning of the 2016 season but never had made a sit in it to date. I had no trail cams on the area but knew from shed Hunting and walking the land it was a good spot between food and bed

So on the hunch I decided let’s go worst case it will be some great scouting. Well as soon as day break happened the action for fast and furious. First with a doe and fawn working their way right towards me ending up right under my tree before moving off. Next was two little bucks coming in again right towards me. Stopping about 20 yards out to rub his antlers on the trees. Then they moved off. ( I didn’t shoot because of the 3rd buck coming in from behind them)

Then the 3rd buck taking a different path than the first two came in 30 yards out walking perfectly into my shooting lane. I quickly realized he was a small 4x3 but made the decision I didn’t care as any opportunity in my young bow hunting adventures is great experience and something to be proud of.

So the buck fever kicked in I got the cameras turned onto his attention and followed him through the bush stopping the frame on my lane to allow me to draw back.

While drawn back the buck stopped perfectly into my lane so I didn’t bleet but just as I was about to let the arrow fly he started walking and I made the quick adjustments pin on and swoooosh! Arrow released. I heard the smack we all want to hear and the deer took off. Only running 30 yards then slowing to a hurt saunter.

I could see the arrow fletching sucking out buried in the entry and the arrow sticking out the back side. YES. A good shot so I thought. As time went on the buck kept walking then bedded then stood up walked then bedded then stood up and walked!!! MAN are u serious I’m thinking that shot looked good. So why wasn’t he down for the count.

Great thing about self filming is you can review the evidence and upon further review I see that my arrow hit a tiny branch on the way and deflected a touch low and back. Now I doubting did I only catch one lung

I gave the deer two hours before getting out of the stand and to my surprise I found great blood trail. Bright red and lots of it. Started to follow it until shortly after I was turning leaves just to find a spec. Ah man this is not good. I need to back out. So I did and went home. My plan was to give him a total of 8 hours then try again. I didn’t want to risk pushing him any further. Like I said I was between food and bedding and I was betting he went to the bedding area where he’s comfortable. If he’s going to die that’s where I’ll find him.

So the next 6 hours I researched the crap out of deer anatomy haha to see where did my shot enter and exit and wow I can tell you there is so much contradicting pictures showing the size, shape and position of the organs. That I really couldn’t conclude what the fate of that deer might be. Once the 6 hours at home was over I headed back out.

The game plan was to start at the nearest watering hole because an injured animal will try to find water in most cases and work my way back to the bedding area I felt he was heading to. About 45 mins into my walk I now made it to the bedding area and with the wind in my face I could actually smell the deer before I saw it and as I came thought a thick patch into an opening there he was expired!!! I was so thankful and happy to recover this deer.

I am very proud to have taken this deer although my smallest ever, to do it with my bow which is only the second buck I have taken is a success that I’m proud of because bow hunting is hard man!!! Haha

More pictures to follow and I self filmed the whole morning adventure so I’ll be sure to share on here when it’s all edited. If you look at the second picture closely you can see the arrow Sri king out the other side of the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Congrats! Always love a good read, giving him time and not pushing was the right choice!!

Cheers,
Z
Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 PM

Great story congratulations.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 PM

Great story.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Good works the joys of bow hunting even though you know in your mind it was a good shot there is always doubt when your following specs of blood. I've learnt the hard way tracking to early congrats again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 PM

And a great season keeps on rolling. Atta boy!!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:12 PM

I love reading your posts and experiences Nuge. Congrats and glad it worked out.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:02 PM

Good story. Congrats Nuge
Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 PM

Right on man! Its not about the size of the rack, its about the memories made and this hunt sure sounded memorable, congrats!!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Pepperoni

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
And a great season keeps on rolling. Atta boy!!
X2

Well done!

BW
Old 10-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Great stuff, Nuge! Congrats!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Well done nuge!! Congrats!

Anyone who bow hunts long enough will have this happen. Your response was textbook. Glad the coyotes didn't get him.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Always a pleasure to read ur stories and watch ur video s. Congrats
Old 10-26-2017, 02:25 PM

Nice job! Great post