Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 PM

Default First Lite Clothing

Does anyone have any experience with the brand? How is the quality of the clothing? Is there a duty like with Kuiu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE RULES View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the brand? How is the quality of the clothing? Is there a duty like with Kuiu?

Not sure where your from, but Milarm in Edmonton has it in stock all the time so you can go check it out in person. If I ever decide it's time for new camo, first lite is how I will go. Right now almost everything I have is Sitka and would prefer to have first light baselayers for sure if money grew on trees.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 PM

I'm on my second year wearing it and I'm mostly satisfied. I have some slight concerns about durability. A pair of liner gloves and a pair of socks both grew holes after only a few wears, and the print on the bottom half of my pants is fading a little.

The base layers are great and I like them more than polyester or other wool I've owned. That's gonch, 3/4 long johns, and the shirts. The socks are on par or nicer than Wigwam or similar aside from the tear I mentioned. The shirts are again top shelf though I find the tail a bit short.

Overall it's high end gear that will keep you comfortable and dry. Their materials are generally top quality, but on a couple pieces their design doesn't seem to stand up to their intended uses.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 PM

great stuff. Jims bows has it as well. I mix and match kuiu and first lite I LOVE the kuiu zip off long johns but I find first lite to be just as good in different ways. Its simpler which I have found more useful with some of the products
Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
I'm on my second year wearing it and I'm mostly satisfied. I have some slight concerns about durability. A pair of liner gloves and a pair of socks both grew holes after only a few wears, and the print on the bottom half of my pants is fading a little.

The base layers are great and I like them more than polyester or other wool I've owned. That's gonch, 3/4 long johns, and the shirts. The socks are on par or nicer than Wigwam or similar aside from the tear I mentioned. The shirts are again top shelf though I find the tail a bit short.

Overall it's high end gear that will keep you comfortable and dry. Their materials are generally top quality, but on a couple pieces their design doesn't seem to stand up to their intended uses.
Check out Darn Tough socks. They are the only socks for hiking/snowboarding/hunting that I will buy. Lifetime warranty too.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellswrong View Post
great stuff. Jims bows has it as well. I mix and match kuiu and first lite I LOVE the kuiu zip off long johns but I find first lite to be just as good in different ways. Its simpler which I have found more useful with some of the products

I have Kuiu 210 merino zipoffs but it's pilling badly. The concept behind the zipoffs is awesome now if the material actually held up would be even better.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 AM

I'm into my second season of using First Lite Kanab 2.0 pants. It appears they've discontinued the Kanab but the new Obisidian Merino pants appear to have many similarities to them.

They are incredibly comfortable, pair well with long underwear, and breath well too. I'd recommend them although they are pricey.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 AM

I just got a set of their Brambler gaiters and am very impressed. They seem to be made of properly tough material, but I am still careful of walking over rocks and particularly sharp stumps.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM

I've got a few things from them. Really like what I've got.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:21 PM

I have a few items as well, try to only buy on sale. Merino is awesome but inherently fragile. I'll never buy any next to skin bottoms again. Have the obsidian pants and llano top. Both awesome so far but pricey for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 04:59 PM

I have the First Light merino long underwear and a heavier zip up shirt. I love merino clothing, and I have lots of stuff from Icebreaker and Smartwool, and although I like them all, they all have pluses and minuses compared to others. I find First Lite to be very well made, but I find it stretches more than any of my other merino products. Not a big deal, but it's noticeable after a few days in the mountains.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:35 PM

I have the Uncompahgre vest, the jacket, and the sawtooth jacket. I really enjoy all of them. There is duty by fedex. Mine was just under 40 for those 3 units I believe.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I have Kuiu 210 merino zipoffs but it's pilling badly. The concept behind the zipoffs is awesome now if the material actually held up would be even better.

I went with the peleton and they are holding up great so far. The small zippers worry me but it seems like if you're half careful they should last. The merino may be different I still think it beats taking your boots off
Old 10-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Jim Bows Archery in Calgary has a pretty good selection. I have a couple pieces and think the build quality is awesome!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky View Post
I have the Uncompahgre vest, the jacket, and the sawtooth jacket. I really enjoy all of them. There is duty by fedex. Mine was just under 40 for those 3 units I believe.

I've been looking into the vest as I primarily bow hunt.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I've been looking into the vest as I primarily bow hunt.

Yup. Love it. It’s less “scratchy” then other vests I have. It’s recommended that you order a size smaller, and I did that, worked out well for me. I wear it almost every hunt. (I also bow hunt)

Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky View Post
Yup. Love it. It’s less “scratchy” then other vests I have. It’s recommended that you order a size smaller, and I did that, worked out well for me. I wear it almost every hunt. (I also bow hunt)

Ya that's what I'm dealing with now I have just a under armour vest that came inside one of my duck hunting coats and it's a bit noisey I was hoping the first lite would be a bit quiter.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM

i have a pair of their Kanab pants. quite warm but not hot in summer. they say they are burr proof ... maybe sissy california burrs, but not canada burrs !!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 AM

I have a pair of Obsidian pants and a llano 1/4 zip hoodie that I bought at Milarm on Edmonton. The pants are phenomenal. I've got about 40 hunting/hiking days in them since August and I don't know how I lived without them before. The shirt is nice as well, I like the long arms with thumb holes and the hood fits nicely.

It was either get a new Leupold vx2 or those two pieces of clothing. I chose wisely.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

Expensive pants should come in real inch waist sizes and unhemmed. Paying 250$ and then having to alter them at further expense is rediculous. At least they are making tall sizes now. The merino pants are nice but very prone to ripping.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Expensive pants should come in real inch waist sizes and unhemmed. Paying 250$ and then having to alter them at further expense is rediculous. At least they are making tall sizes now. The merino pants are nice but very prone to ripping.
The website sizing guide is very easy to understand and if you are looking for your waist size it can help you out, so you can find your jean size number. They aren't made to exactly specific waist size because that would not be effective for being able to comfortably have the option of layering throughout the season. They also have a belt so you can make sure it is exactly to your snugness preference. They have two length inseams and the elastic adjustable draw string at the bottom of the pants lets it stay perfectly around the top of your boot.

As for the price, if you want cheaper, then you are stuck with plastic or cotton, or normal scratchy wool (if you find a lucky cheap brand).

$230 Firstlite pants are 90% Merino Wool. And they are the best designed and also happily the cheapest merino wool pants I have been able to find. It is nice that they are sewn with such excellent fit and features.

Go check out icebreaker wool pants
$160 for 48% cotton and 52% merino, only jean style pockets, no stretch waistband, no belt, and not shaped, only one length inseam
$195 for 67% plastic, 30% merino, 3% stretch, only jean style pockets, no stretch waistband, no belt, and not shaped, only one length inseam

$175 for 100% plastic Under Armor Ridge Reaper pants in jean sizes

$140 for columbia Gellatin pants, 60% scratchy wool, 40% plastics, and cotton lining

$521 US for king of the mountain wool pants

I share this information because after a long time researching and looking around, firstlite has delivered what I am looking for, and I am extremely pleased with their gear.

Last edited by Nyksta; 10-25-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
But if they come unhemmed, you need to pay to have them hemmed anyways? And if you were going to hem them yourself then it's only a couple more minutes with a seam ripper to get at least an extra inch on most pairs of pants. I don't know about all their pants line up but with the obsidian pants, there's a stretch draw string so coming unhemmed means no draw string.

I was a little skeptical of the durability of the obsidian pants but after 40 days of bush use they have a few sap stains and a couple loose ends that have not gotten bigger. No rips. No tears. No pulls.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellswrong View Post
x2,bought my First Lite pants at Jimbows,(3rd season in them now/lov'em/no complaints)Im not too brand loyal,mix n match of FL,KUIU,UA and Sitka amongst others.I like that I can try on FL before buying which is my biggest concern with KUIU.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Banned

Durable merino wool pants? Mine have been sewn back together numerous times

Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

Jim bows in edmonton has some . Wish they had a better selection and more sizes. Amazon.ca has some as well . I ordered a jacket from there
Old 10-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

Seems like good gear, but expensive