Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
In the 1950's and early 1960's you could buy Enfields every where for under $10 bucks.

Even at Safeway.

While doing the grocery shopping, my dad used to whimsically scan the piles - looking for his old customized service rifle that he lugged around during World War II.

He never did find it.
Sporting rifle manufacturers used to complain about the availability of cheap military rifles. Kind of limited their market.

Grizz
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM

Default My first story.... 'TheNintendo Buck'

It was 2006, I was 6 months post ACL replacement surgery (my second one)... and I was hurtin pretty bad after a day of hiking around WMU 400 looking for a meat buck or big fat doe.

I had two newbies with me and they had already screwed up a couple chances at deer... I was a little annoyed and evening was upon us. I dropped the boys at a pretty 'sure thing' spot (so long as you hiked up the ridge quietly... and actually hunted). I drove across the creek and decided to head up another ridge that I'd never been up.
There was a tremendous amount of blowdown I slowly hobbled and hunted around, finding lots of good sign. I'd done about 600 yards in an hour and was really hurting.

Then I saw him-her.

I initially thought I was seeing the biggest doe ever, slowly grazing along the top of the small ridge skylined. It was a pretty far shot.... I figured I could creep a bit closer ( I wear goofy home made camo). I hobbled about 20 feet... the deer stopped with two trees behind him/her and spotted me. I slowly raised the my .303 1917 MKIII, squeezed the trigger.... BOOM.... deer still standing there looking at me... WTH..?
I slowly hobble/knelt to try a wierd gimp kneel shot type thing. Breath, breath...... BOOM.
Deer tumbles down ridge over the rocks and stops 50 feet or so from where it's still standing.. YeeHaw!!! I gots Meat!!!

It was a troll of a time trying to manage my knee up climbing the rocks to get to my prize... when I got there I realized I shot a little spiked buck with4-5 inch spikes... I was so far away and oriented in such a way that I couldn't see his antlers.

So I move the butt end downslope and notice there's no blood... Wth?
I search the deers entire chest, back, haunches, legs.... no entry wound, no exit wound. Then I grab an antler and it moves like a joystick. I grab both and they move pretty much like independent joysticks....

My shot was way off the mark, I hit the deer smack dab right between the eyes and it split the skull up the middle.

We'll all be danged.... boys r gonna laugh at this.

That was the toughest drag back by myself I've ever had. After about 100 yards, no snow, over 7-8 blowdown trees, my post op knee gives out due to a bad step and I go down. I scream pretty good. Got myself sorted out after 10 minutes of pouting and cursing the gods and my buddies who certainly heard the shot but are nowhere.
Got the deer dug back and loaded by the time my buddies. wandered back. Boys played with the antlers fer a bit..

Whiskey time!

Next day we paced off my shot at pretty close to 175-180 yards.

I love my .303.

More stories to come.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-16-2017, 07:43 PM

POOF! It's amazing how quick a Ruger 1 Tropical 375H&H can turn into a 1A .303 Brit!
Cat
Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Here is a .303 story for you, not a hunting story but a purchase story.

1977 I think, saw a Lee Enfield advertised in the Bargain Finder for $20.00

Called the number, a Cochrane number. Lady said it was a #4 MK1* Longbranch made. I said I'm on my way.

Found the house not far from the river, one of those little tiny houses that are now long gone.

The rifles front wood had been cut back, but everything else looked good.

I said "I'll take it" and handed her a 20.

She says "But wait, don't you want to try it first ?"

Puzzled, I ask "What do you mean?"

She says , "Shoot it"

I say "Where"

She says, "In the basement of course, my husband shoots it all the time"

Soooooo.....did you shoot it!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:07 AM

I took a couple meat does this year with my .303. Its been awhile since I had to take a doe for meat, but horn hunting was going a little slow and it was getting late in the season. I cut a wide loop around the bottom of a ridge, to get the wind in my favor but I still had a doe blow on me a couple times on the way in. I moved pretty slow, a lot of people think that once you get busted its over, but with does especially I've killed plenty of them while/ after they were blowing just by slowly still hunting in the general direction they went.

I didn't get that particular doe and eventually came to a clear cut at the end of the ridge, I climbed the ridge back into the timber and sat down on a log for a few minuets. Below me, there were two does pretty much coming right up my trail, I slowly got behind a big alder and let them stroll in to about 80 yards, then I shot the first one. They both bolted but I heard the deer go down, I saw the second one go up the ridge further down and had the notion of going after it, but I decided with the thick bush and sporadic snow I'd better go find my deer before I lost track of where she'd run. She'd gone about 30 yards along the bottom of the ridge and died in a thick bunch of willows. I pulled my knife out to put a tag on her but out of the corner of my eye I saw the other deer, about 50 yards up the ridge. It was peeking out from behind a big poplar tree, the only shot I had was the shoulders so we had a bit of a standoff for a while, eventually I became convinced that when that deer was going to bolt so I took the front shoulder.

I had two deer down about 2 km from the nearest road so I went home for the quad, I also stopped at playschool and got my youngest daughter to come "help" with the recovery. Getting both deer and the quad into my pickup was a little tricky, involving loading both deer on the quad racks and then riding it up the ramps, pretty sketchy. I live near a school and as luck would have it we had to go past it just as all the kids were getting out of school. I live in a pretty small town so for the most part it was no big deal, I did see a few little shocked faces though and felt like a bit of a dirt bag.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-17-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 AM

A few years ago my grandfather is getting rid of his guns, I ended up with his 1915 BSA no 1 mk III. After a bit of range shooting I discover the gun is quite accurate. Later that year i was drawn for mulie doe I decide to leave my 7mm at home and try to take a deer with the 303. It was the second last week of season my dad and i are walking this coulee we spot a couple nice does feeding up a little draw. KABOOM doe goes down like a sack of rocks. We decided that i would go to the truck and retreive our calf sled and he would put my tag on my deer. When I reurned he had a blank look on his face "how many times did you shoot this thing?" he asked. "once " I replied "why are there 4 holes in it?". It turns out the bullet went through the chest and upon exiting also struck the neck completely severing the spine in the process before continuing its journey into the wilderness. that was 5 years ago and we still chuckle about it to this day, something I will never forget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ant 001.jpg (168.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Here is a .303 story for you, not a hunting story but a purchase story.

1977 I think, saw a Lee Enfield advertised in the Bargain Finder for $20.00

Called the number, a Cochrane number. Lady said it was a #4 MK1* Longbranch made. I said I'm on my way.

Found the house not far from the river, one of those little tiny houses that are now long gone.

The rifles front wood had been cut back, but everything else looked good.

I said "I'll take it" and handed her a 20.

She says "But wait, don't you want to try it first ?"

Puzzled, I ask "What do you mean?"

She says , "Shoot it"

I say "Where"

She says, "In the basement of course, my husband shoots it all the time"

Knew a guy who needed a hole in his basement wall for a pipe penetration. Back behind some cover and FMJs till the hole was big enough.

Grizz
Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM

I had a friend who owns his Grand Dad's Lee Enfield N01 from the Royal Newfoundland Regiment days.
One day he hauled it out at the range and asked me to shoot itI lined up at 100 yards and fired five at the target while he looked through my spotter
" It's going in sideways!" he blurted pout
" SIDEWAYS??!! Which one?" I asked
" All of 'em , B'y!!"
He told me they killed three moose in the last few years with it!
Cat
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 PM

I picked up a1919 Lithgow about 20 years ago when I couldn't afford anything else. Was thinking that I wasted my hard earned money when it did just like Cat's story and keyholed the target. That was with 150 grain Winchester, tried 180 grain and it shot straight. Only groups about 4 1/2 inches, my worst iron site rifle for accuracy. Still, it has got a couple moose and several deer and other animals over the years as a scabbord gun. I don't think that I would sell it even though I don't use it much.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Best shot I aver made was with a shortened no1Mk3 .We were pushing bush out near Ryley and I was on stand for this particular push .A WT buck came blasting out of the treeline and I took a bead on him .Just as he leap't the over the fence line I squeezed the trigger. I hit him in mid air and he did a face plant on the opposite side of the fence. I shot a lot of running deer with that rifle and I almost felt more confident on a running deer than one that was standing still. Sadly, I sold that rifle to a fellow on here a few years ago . I sort of regret it now as it was one great rifle with so many good memories, but I guess you can't hang on to them all. I also regret letting my Jungle carbine and my unaltered Savage built No4 go . I still have one No4 that was my fathers that I will always keep but the barrel isn't in great shape inside .Dad left it untouched in the wall rack for probably 15 yr+ and it has a slightly rough bore. I have tried polishing it but can't get it as good as It should be. In my mind one of the great cartridges and a pretty great lineage of rifles as well. Doesn't often get the respect that it should .
Old 01-18-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Not Invited Back!

About 30 years ago this fellow I worked with had invited me to go hunting with him. So Friday night I show up at his place; put all my stuff in his truck and off we went. Got to his friend's farm. Got introduced and sat around for while, had a couple drinks. The next morning we got up and there were at least 7 of us hunting together. Got my rifle out of its case; no bolt! It was sitting on my bench at home! Darn! I had also brought my Lyman Great Plains muzzleloader. So I told them that that was what I was using for the day; I had shot other deer with it. I also said that I'd push bush.
This friend had just got a new rifle with a scope and all day he was missing deer and he had lots of opportunities. So at the end of the day everyone said I should be on point because I was walking all day. This friend had his old .303 with issue sights behind the seat of his truck and said I could use it. It was just a spare gun he kept there all the time. So, reluctantly I took it and headed down this cut line; which everyone was pushing towards. I was on a slight rise watching the low spots on both sides of me. After about a 1/2 hour I see a deer way down beyond 100 yards; I lay down, no sight adjustment, just Kentucky windage. I squeeze off a shot, the gun jumps; I don't see any deer. I'm looking down where I saw the deer last and I see the deer again. So work another round in the chamber, still laying down, same windage; squeeze off another round. Saw the deer stagger and fall over. So I stand up; waited a few minutes and everyone shows up on the cutline. I told them what happened and that I got a deer. So we all walked down to the deer. I proceed to start gutting it and one of the younger boys shouts out, "there's another deer dead over here!" that was about another 30 yards further away! So as this hunt ended with my tag on one deer and this friend's tag (reluctantly) put on the other deer!
We're still friends, but never hunted with him again. He doesn't invite me and I don't ask. His friends up in the area where he hunts, still ask him about me! Those darn .303's!
Old 01-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
About 30 years ago this fellow I worked with had invited me to go hunting with him. So Friday night I show up at his place; put all my stuff in his truck and off we went. Got to his friend's farm. Got introduced and sat around for while, had a couple drinks. The next morning we got up and there were at least 7 of us hunting together. Got my rifle out of its case; no bolt! It was sitting on my bench at home! Darn! I had also brought my Lyman Great Plains muzzleloader. So I told them that that was what I was using for the day; I had shot other deer with it. I also said that I'd push bush.
This friend had just got a new rifle with a scope and all day he was missing deer and he had lots of opportunities. So at the end of the day everyone said I should be on point because I was walking all day. This friend had his old .303 with issue sights behind the seat of his truck and said I could use it. It was just a spare gun he kept there all the time. So, reluctantly I took it and headed down this cut line; which everyone was pushing towards. I was on a slight rise watching the low spots on both sides of me. After about a 1/2 hour I see a deer way down beyond 100 yards; I lay down, no sight adjustment, just Kentucky windage. I squeeze off a shot, the gun jumps; I don't see any deer. I'm looking down where I saw the deer last and I see the deer again. So work another round in the chamber, still laying down, same windage; squeeze off another round. Saw the deer stagger and fall over. So I stand up; waited a few minutes and everyone shows up on the cutline. I told them what happened and that I got a deer. So we all walked down to the deer. I proceed to start gutting it and one of the younger boys shouts out, "there's another deer dead over here!" that was about another 30 yards further away! So as this hunt ended with my tag on one deer and this friend's tag (reluctantly) put on the other deer!
We're still friends, but never hunted with him again. He doesn't invite me and I don't ask. His friends up in the area where he hunts, still ask him about me! Those darn .303's!

Ya , nothing worse than being out gunned by a guy with a lowly 303 ... and a borrowed one at that!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Your a legend around those parts now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
.303 British, putting round holes in square heads since 1914!
Yup, killed more germans than rotten sauerkraut and tje autobahn!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Earlier than that....................

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/08/303-...#axzz4WN7Wdnis