Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Banned

Default New Hunting Partner Trust Issues

I have a few propositions for hunting big game and pheasants from a few of the members here and " in the real world" but I don't know if I should be scared haha. You always hear never trust strangers, now it's strangers with guns. Do any of you ever have problems meeting new people on hunts? I mean a few hour trip shouldn't be a big deal but going out into the wilderness for a week to hunt elk is a tad risky. Lemme know your experiences.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:39 AM

If you're worried about going out with some of the members, maybe you should meet them first...for example on the AO wing night.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
If you're worried about going out with some of the members, maybe you should meet them first...for example on the AO wing night.
Where can I find out the info about such events?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:25 PM

all of my friends were strangers once
no risk no reward
Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 PM

I've only ever hunted with people I already knew. I'd risk a local few-hour hunt with a stranger from the forum here but no way am I going on a multi-day hunt or trip anywhere with people I don't know. Maybe go on a couple of shortie hunts before you depart for the big one, but frankly I'd postpone a big one for next year.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs100bert View Post
all of my friends were strangers once
no risk no reward
This.

Be able to take care of your own needs, keep your expectations in check, and stay positive. As a hunter, you probably have more in common with that stranger than most other people you know
Old 10-26-2016, 12:59 PM

I went on a 2 week moose hunt in northern BC with my uncle. He brought along a friend from his work that I had never met before...but he "vouched" for him.

The first few days were okay. Then this guy got homesick and demanded to go home. As we already had 2 moose by then, my uncle agreed and home we went. I was only 18 at the time and under supervision from my uncle, meaning I didn't have much recourse. I was pretty upset as I was the only one to not shoot a moose yet.

Maybe a different situation than what you proposed, but it goes to show that you should know who you plan a big hunt with. Smaller 1/2 day or all day hunts are less risky and if they don't work out, it is only that day that is lost.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
You always hear never trust strangers, now it's strangers with guns.

I mean a few hour trip shouldn't be a big deal but going out into the wilderness for a week to hunt elk is a tad risky. Lemme know your experiences.
Strangers with guns sounds like a little bit of paranoia. Just bring a bigger gun and you should be fine!

I wouldn't jump into a week long hunt with a stranger. Go to the AO wing night, meet up with a prospective hunting partner in the off season at the range ext. Go on some one day or weekend hunts first.

As was stated before "all my friends were once strangers". Time to meet some new hunting friends!

Quote:
Where can I find out the info about such events?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=192436

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=134898
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM

How do you drive down the highway without having your head explode.
You have no idea if any of the other drivers around you have a valid license, or have the requisite skill set to do the right things. Maybe the other driver is under the influence, of drugs or alcohol?

Now take that scenario, and apply it to a new hunting partner........

I work in an industry where we have things called a "guarantee of isolation". This is where a person you likely have never met, who may be many miles away, has performed a requested action upon a high energy system. This person then reports to a person in a control centre that they have performed said action, and left the system in a desired state. That control centre person then will inform me that these steps are done, and will the guarantee me that things are isolated. Wanna talk trust, there's trust! Sure we use potential testers, and personal protective grounds in the commission of our work, but if the line or system wasn't isolated as prescribed, things get real bad real fast.

Nobody is saying go on a hunting trip with a person you've never met, like who would do that? Phone calls, coffee, wings, mutual friends need to happen first..........

This isn't necessarily for your benefit, but for the prospective partners as well.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-26-2016, 02:17 PM

Sometimes it is better to find someone you don't know because they may be more prepared because they don't want to blow it. I find it more difficult hunting with people you know because they think the friendship allows them certain discretions
Old 10-26-2016, 02:28 PM

What exactly are you concerned about?
You can play the what if game for ever, but think about your main concerns and then you have a place to start.

Worried about proper gun control and taking good shots, then head out to a range sometime and shoot with them. That has narrowed down my selection on some, not getting into details but if they arent safe there, they wont be safe in the bush either.

Worried they cant physically do a hunt? Then go for a hike together, get to know them and see how they do. I have some friends I would hunt grouse with... but never sheep.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:02 PM

I can't remember where to find the thread about the guy from Slave Lake meeting a stranger for a canoe based hunting trip. The thread was epic and made my sides hurt from laughing.

If someone could dig that up that would be awesome. Applicable to this thread me thinks.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Banned

I met a guy once that shot someone while pass shooting ducks. A duck flushed, he turned and pulled the trigger. Turns out there was someone behind the duck.

Fun stuff, I'm less concerned while big game hunting where shots are planned out and not snap decisions.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I can't remember where to find the thread about the guy from Slave Lake meeting a stranger for a canoe based hunting trip. The thread was epic and made my sides hurt from laughing.

If someone could dig that up that would be awesome. Applicable to this thread me thinks.
Found it!!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=106120

Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM

I have hunted with three people that I met through AO, and I would hunt with any of them again. There are several other AO members that I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with, although I haven't met them in person.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have hunted with three people that I met through AO, and I would hunt with any of them again. There are several other AO members that I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with, although I haven't met them in person.
Anytime just let me find my camo G-string
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
Anytime just let me find my camo G-string
Remember the photo of BBJ with that thing on??
Old 10-26-2016, 03:48 PM

First ever goose hunt i went on was with an outdoorsman member i had never met. heck i didnt even know his real name til i got to the goose field. Now im broke from chasing birds all fall and my garage is full of decoys. All the while he is trying to push me into guiding. Just be safe and make sure the other guy is as well and have fun.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I have a few propositions for hunting big game and pheasants from a few of the members here and " in the real world" but I don't know if I should be scared haha. You always hear never trust strangers, now it's strangers with guns. Do any of you ever have problems meeting new people on hunts? I mean a few hour trip shouldn't be a big deal but going out into the wilderness for a week to hunt elk is a tad risky. Lemme know your experiences.
They are most likely thinking the same thing!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Remember the photo of BBJ with that thing on??
OMG, are you crazy mentioning that. I think jst1 still has that photo somewhere.
That was halarious...
Old 10-26-2016, 04:18 PM

my hunting partner is a ao member this will be 3yrs in a row now
the only thing I don't like about him is that he is airforce and I am army

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Do any of you ever have problems meeting new people on hunts? I mean a few hour trip shouldn't be a big deal but going out into the wilderness for a week to hunt elk is a tad risky. Lemme know your experiences.
Going in to the bush with someone I didn't know story.

At work I mentioned I was going to drive to a nearby city (15,000 is a city in some places) a friend I went to school with and an Engineer In Training said it would be great to get out of town and go to a bar. My friend understood that there was no all weather road out of town but construction had started on one and it could be driven when not being worked on, like the coming long weekend.

The EIT had no idea, and I had no idea that he had no idea so I said sure.

Worked on the car all night (another story) and left before dawn. As we drove down a mud trail to get to the road the EIT asked if this was the road. I said no but we'll get to it soon. When we did get to the road it didn't look like a road because that section had kilometers of gravel piles and no real road like sections.

The EIT was sure this couldn't be the road, which should have been my first clue that he really didn't understand what we were about to attempt. After more than an hour of 1st and 2nd gear work we stopped and the engine stopped. Couldn't get it started but I assured the EIT that the battery was good, the engine was fine, we just had to figure out why it wouldn't turn over.

After about an hour we were back on the "road" but the EIT was asking where we were and why we were not seeing anyone else. I don't think I helped when I pointed out it was the holiday weekend so no work on the road and the closest town was 100km away and few would try to travel what may or may not be a passable road.

Then I hit a rough spot and ripped a wheel off the car, not completely but the upper ball joint was no longer a joint.

My friend and I pretended to fix the ball joint while the EIT literally ran around the car yelling stuff I can't remember. It was about an hour before we felt we could tell him we were not going anywhere by car. The news was not well received. He had grown up in the city, hadn't even driven on gravel roads, let alone bush trails and was afraid, of something (not sure what). I really should have explained what we were up to, my bad.

Then we got lucky, a pickup approached from the opposite direction. Very fully loaded with family and furniture they could only offer a ride to one of us. Both my friend and I put our hand on the EIT's back and said great while we pushed him forward.

It was about 12hrs before another vehicle came along, a fellow coworker, but that 12hrs was much easier to endure than the first couple.

I learned to better explain what following through on my crazy ideas might mean. Today I even make a point of saying things could go bad, people could die, still want to go?

As for hunting with strangers, haven't done that too often but once a guy kept a round in the chamber, safety off all day. I didn't find out until the end of the day when he shot the car getting into the passenger seat.

In another case went hunting with someone I had history with. Neither trusted the other and there was a concern (at least on my part) of a hunting "accident". Stayed close, bolts obviously open, and when climbing over stuff we would hold on to our gun even if it made climbing harder. That was a tense day.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:08 PM

In the last few years, I have met and hunted with 7 different forum members. All have been really great guys - to a man - and I would gladly hunt with any of them anytime. I should also note that all were exceptionally safe with firearms.

What have you got to lose?

Last edited by sns2; 10-26-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
First ever goose hunt i went on was with an outdoorsman member i had never met. heck i didnt even know his real name til i got to the goose field. Now im broke from chasing birds all fall and my garage is full of decoys. All the while he is trying to push me into guiding. Just be safe and make sure the other guy is as well and have fun.
Haha killed a stack of geese that morning
Old 10-26-2016, 05:48 PM

I went out duck hunting with a guy from AO this past Monday. We both got some ducks and had a great time. I'm sure we'll hunt again.

I plan on going for whitetail with another poster on here. I'm not worried. We'll probably have a great time and fill the freezer!

... I do, however, know some people in real life I wouldn't hunt with because I don't agree with things they do (nothing illegal.. Just different opinions on what's ethical etc) or because I know they love to brag and would give up any secret spots we find haha
Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Read this. Be careful out there...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=canoe+partner
Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
This is a must read. Ignore at your own peril.