Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Thumbs up Finally - WT doe down

Well sometimes when you hang a tree stand it only takes 1 or 2 hours to get a shot at a deer. On the other hand, sometimes you really have to put the hours in. I had a stand in my area and I kept seeing deer, but always out of range, so I moved it last year about 50 yards (to be within range) and set it up for my Dad because he's left handed and comes out to hunt each year from Ontario. The stand is well placed at an intersection of 2 major deer trails about 150 yards from a good food source. Every year I see 4-5 scraps within 50 yards of the stand and rubs all along the trails. Dad put about 35 hours on the stand last year and I put another 30+ hours on the stand as well; Not a thing - did not even see a deer. After hunting for a few days over this past weekend and getting various kinds of game action (none that presented shots) we thought we'd change things up and have him try that non-producing stand again, but this time in the morning. After about 1 hour, he finally had 3 does 12 yards from this stand. He put an arrow in the lead doe and she only went 30 yards. The other 2 deer hung around for about 45 minutes and were only yards away from the shooting lanes at times, but they would never stepped into position. That really would of been something to get 2 does from that stand after so many hours of seeing nothing. The 2 other does finally wandered off. Anyway, sometimes you just have to wait it out for a stand to produce when you know you have a good location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doe.jpg (101.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Great news. Congrats to your dad. Good job to both of you on putting in the time.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 PM

tasty looking doe!! Congrats!!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Friggen ah , good shootin . Nothin wrong with that doe at all . Very similar to the one I got . But mine was stupid , really really stupid . Anyway great work. And she will be tastein fine.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:54 PM

nicely done nice looking doe should be good eating for sure. It must cost your Dad a pile to come out every year to hunt here. good luck the rest of the season