Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-13-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Which bow to buy?

I have it narrowed down to 3 bows, either the Hoyt Katera, or the Mathews DXT or the Martin Firecat. Any suggestions? I do quite a bit of 3D shooting as well as hunting.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Default New Bow

I just bought a DXT a couple weeks ago and love it. Took a Mulie buck with it on Saturday. Very light and compact with decent speed. Go try one out!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Consideration

For your consideration I shot the mathews Dxt, Drenalin, and outback and switchback xt, Diamond marquis, bowtech alliegence, pse X force.

All 70 # and I have a 27 inch draw.

Some were faster than others The mathews were great but I found they were slower than the bow tech and pse.

Shot the Bow Tech Liked them but found they were noisy. but quick.

The PSE WAS FAST...but torquey, lots of torque in your hand and seems to want to take off as soon as you let down a little bit... tough to handle in the field.

I settled on the Ross Cardiac shoots bullets for my draw lenth. forgiving and smooth... its a little noisy ...but not much more than the mathews...

Anyways I would look at the Ross and the Diamonds they are great bows.
and remember when you look at buying one when you get a mathews you can only get on draw lenth...NO ADJUSTMENT...so when it comes to selling it when your upgrading...its a little tougher..

Good luck...all the new bows out are great the new line ups are awesome...

P.S. check out the Elite Archery GT500...I have heard these are supposed to lay waste to the whole 2009 lineup...I will be shooting one soon...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM

I really liked the diamond marquis, apa black mamba x2, bowtech allegiance, hoyt katterra and pse x force dream season. i was shooting 29" length and 70lb bows when testing. After several testing sessions and shooting them randomly back to back with my eyes closed I ended up buying the allegiance, comfortable grip, smooth draw, good speed, fairly quite. My second choice would probably have been the diamond marquis because I really like the camo. Try them all, shoot them back to back with your eyes closed and see which one feels best.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Shoot them all again after a couple days. Go with the most natural feeling and best shooting one. Only you can make the decision, noboby on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
Try them all, shoot them back to back with your eyes closed and see which one feels best.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM

That's what I want to do but where can I go to shoot all those bows? I am from Taber? I go to Lane Archery in Lethbridge but they only carry Bowtech and APA in the show room but can order me in Hoyt or Mathews. Any other place close to me where I can try more bows?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5794 View Post
That's what I want to do but where can I go to shoot all those bows? I am from Taber? I go to Lane Archery in Lethbridge but they only carry Bowtech and APA in the show room but can order me in Hoyt or Mathews. Any other place close to me where I can try more bows?
unfort you will have to take a drive to the Hat or Calgary and head to calgary archery or jimbows and see what you like
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Default Bows

Try going to Bow Island. It's not that far and they ususally have a pretty good selection of bows as well.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Default what bow to buy

Simple answer - Mathews DXT Switchback or Drenalin
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM

From the three on the list My first would be the DXT hands down but try them at a bow shop to be sure it suits ya. Any shop worth its weight will have a model to try. I don't buy name I buy what fits.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 PM

PSE X-Force is a great shooting bow, but you have to get what fits you best.