Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM

Default strange but true / with added pictures

Well I went out last night for the first time with my new PSE stinger and yes I missed my first doe. I went out tonight again and WHAT A RUSH. 20 yards broad side 100gr muzzy found its mark, it ran about 60 yards and fell. . Now the question I have is that when I seen it, it had 3" flats, {and how can I say this} It had the female parts with it. I did put my doe tag on it, but I had to look three or four time to make sure. I will post some pic as soon as my wife shows me how. And yes I am bitten by the bow hunting bug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 051.jpg (107.9 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 054a.jpg (74.2 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 055.jpg (116.7 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by smoky the bear; 10-11-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 PM

Must be a San Francisco Deer....... Either way, Good job!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 AM

Wow! I've heard about that before but have never seen it. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Congrats on the...doe...ur...yeah.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57 AM

Man, I could make 100 jokes, but I won't.

Although it's uncommon, does can grow antlers (spikes mainly). Just keep the species identification stuff (tail), and the reporductive organs attached and you'll be fine.

Weird stuff happens. Congrats on a cool kill though. Great story down the road.

Tree
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky the bear View Post
Well I went out last night for the first time with my new PSE stinger and yes I missed my first doe. I went out tonight again and WHAT A RUSH. 20 yards broad side 100gr muzzy found its mark, it ran about 60 yards and fell. . Now the question I have is that when I seen it, it had 3" flats, {and how can I say this} It had the female parts with it. I did put my doe tag on it, but I had to look three or four time to make sure. I will post some pic as soon as my wife shows me how. And yes I am bitten by the bow hunting bug.
Congrats. good on for gettin your doe, . Wicked story forsure , look forward to these pictures .I didnt think mother nature did that kind of surgery , but hey I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 10-10-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Gone Hunting

A doe with spikes is a trophy of a lifetime!! I videoed a w/t with twins this summer west of my place. I thought about going and taking her on my general tag with the bow, (her spikes are over 4 inches) but it would burn my Athabasca hunt..... Decisions decisions...Hmmmmm. My Dad passed up a w/t doe with spikes up north about 15 or 20 years ago. She had a fawn with her. He has always kicked himself over passing up that oportunity. Anyways, congrats!!! Show us pics!!!! I hope you salvaged that cape!! Would be easy to just hack it off not knowing how special that deer is....

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 10-10-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 AM

My Dad told us kids of a doe he shot 25 years ago he and my uncle were out hunting and seen a buck chasing a doe so they waited and the buck and doe came running out of the bush he shot the buck, 140ish when they got up to it it was a doe with a big rack.
They phone fish cops and they got in trouble for it no charges but got warned that they were not allowed to shoot does then. unfort they did not own a camera of anykind then so no pictures
Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 PM

I shot a doe with a spike about 12 years ago. I will try to dig up the pictures. Called the FW and asked the officer. He told me that it can happen to a doe if she does not get bred in a couple of years. She only had one spike about 8" . I also asked the officer what to he would call it. He told me that the if the spike is over 4", then it is an antlered deer. The sex organs do not could. Now I thought that if you had no head, it would be an antlerless. He said that would be correct. This is a very grey area.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Gone Hunting

I dont believe a doe grows antlers if she doesnt get bred by a certain time. If thats what the game warden told you, he could be right, but i dont believe any of that to be true. If I remember right, it happens when there are twins in the womb, one is a buck fawn and one is a doe. There can be a hormonal imbalance, and the doe fawn can somehow end up with an overly large amount of testosterone somehow. Its vague in my mind and just dont recall for sure what happens, but its along those lines in one way shape or form.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Regardless of how it happens it's pretty cool. Had a cuz that shot a unicorn doe a few years ago. One small spike right in the middle of it's head. Congrats on your bow doe.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Cool pics and great job on the shot. What a fatty for a 2 year old.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Congrats on a unique deer.

My first white tail bow kill was an antlered doe,she had 8 inch spikes in velvet.Imagine my surprise when I rolled her over to gut and noticed some vital equipment was missing.Had to look at the head a couple of times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Back in the sixties when I was living in Colorado my Dad killed a cow elk with a symetrical 5x5 rack.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 PM

I do not believe the regs specify sex as an identifier for deer or any other ungulate, only antlered or none antlered. Yes you must keep the sex attached but really it should not even matter. You could shoot 180 class doe ( sounds funny) but you would have to use your antlered tag since it has horns.
As a matter of fact I'm not even sure why they have you keep the evidence of sex attached if the head is, it is kind of redundant!

Don't ya think?

Trev
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM

The definition of antlered or antlerless is 4 inches or more is considered antlered.

Trev I don't belive that evidence of sex is required is the head in left intact to the entire deer.

Evidence of sex must be kept in a quartered game type situation it must be attached to the same side as the tag.

Doe with horns ...neat .......better not let the wife eat any ....for obvious reasons!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 AM

Congrats

I was out bear hunting a couple years ago and the fellow that I was with shot a beautiful big blonde "boar". It had all the makings of a big boar with a big crease in its head and just a big brute. When we recovered it, I was surprised when I went to skin it that it was a female. While taking the hide off the bear, I discovered that it also had a 2" penis bone (normal is about 6") so it was a hemaphrodite. This bear likely was never able to reproduce and was an older bear with well worn teeth. First time I had ever seen this before. Here are some pictures of him/her before any shot, after the shot and following the mounting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear hunting 2007 013.jpg (132.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Bear hunting 2007 027.jpg (134.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Taxidermy2007 049.JPG (92.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I dont believe a doe grows antlers if she doesnt get bred by a certain time. If thats what the game warden told you, he could be right, but i dont believe any of that to be true. If I remember right, it happens when there are twins in the womb, one is a buck fawn and one is a doe. There can be a hormonal imbalance, and the doe fawn can somehow end up with an overly large amount of testosterone somehow. Its vague in my mind and just dont recall for sure what happens, but its along those lines in one way shape or form.
Hormonal inbalances, yup, nothing to do with lack of being bred.
A good friend of mine is a FW oficer, and we had some in depth discussion about this some years ago , with a couple of other officers.
It centered around legalities of Mule / WT hybreds, and does with antlers.
These particular officers were not the type to look for things a hunter does wrong (by getting caught putting an antlerless doe tag a 6" antlered doe for instance)
The antlers on a doe typically stay in velvet, they do not rut.
That being said, these particular officers were okay with either tag on a wt/mule deer hybred, or either a buck/doe tag on a doe with antlers.
other officers might get a bit too anal and charge a fella, but I would lay odds that a judge would dismiss it in court.
The only problem is the hassle the hunter had to go through to get "aquitted" of something he did not do!
Cat
Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Yup my cousin shot a nice whitey in the 140ish range. when he went to gut it......some parts were not right either. Called to say he shot a HE/SHE
Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 AM

I have shot two does with antlers over the years Both were in manitoba when I lived there One had 2 points a side and antlers looked like an aero chocolate bar inside (one broke off when it hit the ground ) The other was with its fawn and had 7 points, a small basket head rack Its antlers were still in full velvet even though it was mid Nov The two were shot about 60 miles apart so don't think part of same genetic pool I read that while uncommon its not "that "uncommon

Gord