Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Was told it was illegal to have a Diesel in an Undergound Condo garage?

I rent a Condo in Stony Plain to a gentlemen with a Duramax. He was parking downstairs and was told it was illegal to park a Diesel in the underground garage facility at the residence. The inspector who tested the air said this supposedly. My tenant wants out of his lease which is fair if he doesn't get parking. I'm fustrated at the possibility of loosing a good renter.

Ive got friends in the city for years who have parked underground with their Cummins with aftermarket exhausts and chips, and so I so I called BS. What is the legality if there is one. I did a google search and found nada. So any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Maybe he's thinking about parking a propane powered vehicle under ground?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:33 PM

pretty sure it is legal
Old 11-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Pretty sure it was just propane...but places can have funny bylaws
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Maybe he's thinking about parking a propane powered vehicle under ground?
I'm thinking this. ^^ Never heard of not being allowed to park a diesel underground, I usually don't because the truck doesn't fit not because it is a diesel per say.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Safer than gas.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Who told him? Check with the president of your condo board. If there is any restriction it might be a condo rule or bylaw that you have to follow. However, I don't think there is any law against it.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Checked with condo board. Sadly rented another unit last year in the same place and had no issue.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Read your bylaws it will spell out in plain english for parking what is and isnt allowed to be parked where on the property
Old 11-21-2013, 02:47 PM

No bylaw. Spoke to president. He ok'd the truck last week, even though it was a chevy nonetheless?

Its the Alberta Law stuff Im trying assertain. Thanks though.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I have been told this is because the diesel exhaust is heavier than air and without good ventilation the fumes will remain in underground parking and therefor not permitted. Each condo is different on their bylaws so read them closely and if in question contact your condo board for clarification.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
I have been told this is because the diesel exhaust is heavier than air and without good ventilation the fumes will remain in underground parking and therefor not permitted. Each condo is different on their bylaws so read them closely and if in question contact your condo board for clarification.
Whether you burn diesel or gasoline you expel the same carbon monoxide. With the newer tier 4 compliant diesels I believe they are cleaner than the gas jobs today. If they were to regen in the parkade would be another story though. I think it was BS as well.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM

I agree, any amount of burned or unburned for that matter that is expelled will have a certain amount of particulate in the fumes which will naturally cause it to be heavier than air. Its one of those dumb bylaws that get passed and never revisted. Kind of like the one with turning off diesels at the pump because the spark will cause a fire, even though deisels work off of compression.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
id say that's the condo's problem and not mine, as I deliberately rev my engine while slowly pulling into said underground parking....

Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
id say that's the condo's problem and not mine, as I deliberately rev my engine while slowly pulling into said underground parking....

feel free to run that past the condo board and see what their reaction is. Me personally dont see much harm.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM

I don’t see anything from Municipal affairs, Alberta fire code about diesel fueled vehicles and underground parking, just propane.
http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta..../FCI-08-03.pdf

You could email them and get it in writing.
CONTACT INFORMATION
Safety Services
16th Floor, Commerce Place
10155-102 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 4L4

Phone: 1-866-421-6929 (local callers must dial the 1-866)
780-644-1010 (outside of Canada)
Fax: 780-427-8686
E-mail: safety.services@gov.ab.ca
Old 11-21-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I rent a Condo in Stony Plain to a gentlemen with a Duramax. He was parking downstairs and was told it was illegal to park a Diesel in the underground garage facility at the residence. The inspector who tested the air said this supposedly. My tenant wants out of his lease which is fair if he doesn't get parking. I'm fustrated at the possibility of loosing a good renter.

Ive got friends in the city for years who have parked underground with their Cummins with aftermarket exhausts and chips, and so I so I called BS. What is the legality if there is one. I did a google search and found nada. So any info would be appreciated.
??? I was turned down with mine in an underground parking until I told him it was an ultra low sulfur unit.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post

Given you signed on to abide by the bylaws when you bought the unit, it's your problem too.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
No bylaw. Spoke to president. He ok'd the truck last week, even though it was a chevy nonetheless?

Most Fords are parked on the side of the road....with the hood up.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Is it like the 7 diesels running in front of 7-11 every morning, valves clacking with after market mufflers rapping filling the air with choking fumes?

Could have something to do with not being allowed in an underground parking lot, seems they have to idle for hour before they move.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Dumb

Diesel are the engine of choice for underground work in mines and excavations. This is because their CO emissions are well below Otto cycle engines. Sounds to me like chicken little- visible particulates- the sky' falling and we are all going to die!

It
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Whether you burn diesel or gasoline you expel the same carbon monoxide. With the newer tier 4 compliant diesels I believe they are cleaner than the gas jobs today. If they were to regen in the parkade would be another story though. I think it was BS as well.
I believe that propane is illegal to park underground in case of a leak. Propane is heavier than natural air and will seek the lowest spots to lie and pool. If a spark happens to ignite those pools..... Kablammo....

Diesel doesn't do this, nor does gasoline. Only thing I could think of is diesel exhaust is a "different" smell than regular gasoline exhaust, and the condo board may not appreciate it (even though it's as clean as regular gasoline exhaust)

Doesn't matter much to me - If my diesel could fit underground, I'd park it there regardless of what someone says. Too bad it's too tall.... Has to live outside its entire life.... It's happier that way anyway (as we all should be)

J.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM

Take a walk through the underground parking and look for the VW's, chances are there's a diesel or two amongst the group. Sounds like someone's just being unfair with your tenant.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM

Total bs from your condo board. There is NO code against diesels in parades. They have a make up air system to flush the air along with co sensors. Propane is banned because it is heavier than air and will settle.

End of story.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Total bs from your condo board. There is NO code against diesels in parades. They have a make up air system to flush the air along with co sensors. Propane is banned because it is heavier than air and will settle.

End of story.
Theres also nothing against them being in parkades either.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Get ahold of the city parking commish they will probally be the best person to contact
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Diesel trucks produce NO2, which generally does not have any sort of detection in parkades like they do CO.

Depending on temp, NO2 can be heavier or lighter then air. Most parkades only have a CO detection system linked to a make up air and exhaust fans. CO is safe at 25ppm for 8 hours. That level of NO is IDLH.

Guy probably did get it mixed up with propane, but I have seen may undergrounds which did not permit diesels for the reason above. It's not the CO you need worry about in this case.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Or maybe your tenant is just being a jerk and running his stinky diesel for 1/2 hr before work in the enclosed parkade or " reving the engine a few times on purpose " and the condo asc received complaints. Maybe he has loud after market exhaust and the noise level is too high. A ton of maybe's why they may have picked him ( or rather his truck )
Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

So let' really understand this. Some tennant told your guy it was illegal, but it was nobody in any official capacity with the Condo Board, because the President thinks it's alright. And nobody from the city told him this either. Just some guy he ran into in the parkade.

My guess is parkade guy is confusing diesel with propane. I would ignore the warning and tell your tennant to do the same. If parkade guy brings it up again, tell him to take it up with the Condo President, or go pound sand, depending on your mood. I'd tell your tennant that if anyone in authority tells him he cannot park it there or gives him a ticket, then you will release him from his lease.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingwest View Post
Diesel trucks produce NO2, which generally does not have any sort of detection in parkades like they do CO.
If the truck is Tier 4 compliant, the NOX is completely removed. Unless its regening, as I stated before. If it has had deletes or non Tier 4 compliant I agree with you.