Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
I have never been able to figure out why global warming is a political thing of right vs left.
It's not viewed right/left politically. It's idealogical viewpoints.

They are similar but fundamentally different.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
80% of the worlds populations live at plus or minus 10 feet above sea level, it's a big major deal if the ocean rises 20 feet. New York City, la , Boston, Montreal, Halifax, London Tokyo all close to sea level.
Nope, not even close. Yes a few people in these cities who live right on the shoreline and a few low elevation areas of these cities would get flooded, but the majority of areas in these cities are well above sea level. The ocean would have to raise 25 feet to even get to the river level, in montreal the river is about 25 feet above sea level and the city elevation is 90' - 180'. NY averages 15 to 200 feet above sea level, Halifax 30 - 180' above, boston 20' - 120' above, London 20' - 100' above, Tokyo 20' - 60' above sea level. Sure there are areas of these cities that are lower than that but the vast majority of land these cities sit on, about 90 -95% is far above a 10 foot sea level increase.

I would hazard to guess that less than 5% of the land areas of these cities are in any danger of getting flooded out.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Worse for your dad not the entire world.

Your comparing a pebble to a mountain.
By far the most insulting thing I've ever read on hear. My Father is a Mountain in my life sir. Good day to you, and have a good life.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
By far the most insulting thing I've ever read on hear. My Father is a Mountain in my life sir. Good day to you, and have a good life.
Funny that your father means nothin to me or 6 or 7 billion other people in the world. You are comparing a big event that happened in your family to something that will effect everybody, would be like me saying my mom dying is more of a tragedy than the tsunami that happened in south east Asia in 2004.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Nope, not even close. Yes a few people in these cities who live right on the shoreline and a few low elevation areas of these cities would get flooded, but the majority of areas in these cities are well above sea level. The ocean would have to raise 25 feet to even get to the river level, in montreal the river is about 25 feet above sea level and the city elevation is 90' - 180'. NY averages 15 to 200 feet above sea level, Halifax 30 - 180' above, boston 20' - 120' above, London 20' - 100' above, Tokyo 20' - 60' above sea level. Sure there are areas of these cities that are lower than that but the vast majority of land these cities sit on, about 90 -95% is far above a 10 foot sea level increase.

I would hazard to guess that less than 5% of the land areas of these cities are in any danger of getting flooded out.
Who cares right won't effect you ?.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Have you looked up "ice ages"?
How do you know about ice ages there was no written word back then nothing to carry the news on.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
It's not viewed right/left politically. It's idealogical viewpoints.

They are similar but fundamentally different.
It always seems to me if someone is arguing for climate change they are probably from the left and if someone is denying it they are probably from the right.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...global-warming

Apparently scientists have been stumped as to why the earth is not warming. Scientists have showed the oceans came out of a warming phase 14 years ago and have been in a cooling phase since. Not factoring oceans in models has been corrected somewhat. Massive impact of oceans on weather and temperature has dramatically reduced the percentage impact CO2 has on temp.

Some scientists are crying saying they thing the lower ocean is absorbing the heat making a warming inevitable. Problem is warm water rises and heatin is top down and the upper ocean is not showing warming.

Stay tuned folks but global warming alarmists have their hands full and can't scream the sky is falling any more.

Also the IPCC released their report before this breaking study that was heavily peer reviewed and published in Nature.

Wow, is this ever going to mess with David Suzuki's head
Old 09-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Wow, is this ever going to mess with David Suzuki's head
Maybe read it before you jump to this conclusion, Sun has again spun it to say what he wants it to say.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
How do you know about ice ages there was no written word back then nothing to carry the news on.
It is written down. It is called the geological record.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Maybe read it before you jump to this conclusion, Sun has again spun it to say what he wants it to say.
No spin. Just a major shake up for those predictions that continue to not materialize.

The earth has not been warming for the past 14 years. This fact is not disputed. All the attempts to guess and stretch that it still shows global warming is laughable.

Still there are those that cover their eyes, plug ther ears and scream it is. It is called brainwashing. Say something that is not true enough it gains a life of its own.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-change-pause

Just attributing changes in climate to people is a classic attempt to use fear to make inappropriate changes.

Who thinks that in 1910 people caused a jump versus natural causes. Also who realizes that the margin for error in past temperature data is as high as 5 degrees and that this chart looks at a range of 1.2 degrees. Who knows that many temp recording stations were built in micro climate areas of airports. Who realizes that many cold stations in Canada were closed and Eureka was kept open but is famous for being surprisingly warmer than other northern towns.

Who realizes that satellite data shows no warming yet scientists don't use it or talk about it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-02-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Funny that your father means nothin to me or 6 or 7 billion other people in the world. You are comparing a big event that happened in your family to something that will effect everybody, would be like me saying my mom dying is more of a tragedy than the tsunami that happened in south east Asia in 2004.
I wouldn't belittle what has or is happening to your family by comparing it to a natural disaster a half a world away. Nor would I liken that tragedy in your life to a pebble, as if it were nothing important at all. It's called respect, and I'm under the impression it's something you've never had to earn.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM

I prefer to call it climate change rather then global warming. And that's what most scientists prefer to call it as well. Oddly our own polluting has somewhat fixed the warming trend via a trend of global dimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

I'm not going to sit here and argue with people all day about global warming and the causes/ effects. What I will argue is that we have one planet to live on, so maybe we should stop treating our planet like a trashcan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_P..._garbage_patch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._garbage_patch
http://americanlivewire.com/wp-conte..._rad_plume.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfishing
http://www.livescience.com/4827-deva...ble-space.html

I don't care where you stand on the global warming spectrum I think we can all agree that we probably shouldn't be doing the things I shortlisted. And yet we are and more, If I were to list everything we are currently doing that is messing up the environment from an ecological standpoint there would literally be a hundred links or more to go through. And yes I am aware that Fukishima and Chernobyl were accidents caused by human error and ill conceived disaster preparation but they are 2 things that human beings did without thinking as a result Chernobly and the surrounding area's are not fit for human habitation for the next 20,000 years which is right in the middle time frame for terraforming mars.. ( between 2,000 and 50,000 years depending upon who's estimate you trust.)
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Back in the late 1970s we were told that the world would run out of oil in as little as ten years.
The crude oil deposits would be depleted they said. We must act now they said.

Here we are over thirty years later and there is no sign of those deposits running out. In fact there has been an increase in the amount of known deposits. There has also been a considerable increase in oil consumption and a huge increase in the price we pay. And now we hear very little about this impending disaster. It seems to have gone away.

The science behind estimating the volume of known oil deposits supposedly has far more precise figures to work with then the figures available to the climate change scientists.
How could those scientists have gotten it so wrong?

I find it interesting that this whole global warming thing has to be based on models rather then cold hard facts and I find it interesting that it is tied to the petroleum industry. Perhaps loosely connected, but still connected.

It makes me think that the whole thing may become a non issue if we ever wind up having to pay substantially more for our fuel.

Tin hat perhaps. Then again it is the same accusation leveled at those who questioned the theory that the world would run out of oil by the year 2000.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
I prefer to call it climate change rather then global warming. And that's what most scientists prefer to call it as well. Oddly our own polluting has somewhat fixed the warming trend via a trend of global dimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

I'm not going to sit here and argue with people all day about global warming and the causes/ effects. What I will argue is that we have one planet to live on, so maybe we should stop treating our planet like a trashcan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_P..._garbage_patch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._garbage_patch
http://americanlivewire.com/wp-conte..._rad_plume.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfishing
http://www.livescience.com/4827-deva...ble-space.html

I don't care where you stand on the global warming spectrum I think we can all agree that we probably shouldn't be doing the things I shortlisted. And yet we are and more, If I were to list everything we are currently doing that is messing up the environment from an ecological standpoint there would literally be a hundred links or more to go through. And yes I am aware that Fukishima and Chernobyl were accidents caused by human error and ill conceived disaster preparation but they are 2 things that human beings did without thinking as a result Chernobly and the surrounding area's are not fit for human habitation for the next 20,000 years which is right in the middle time frame for terraforming mars.. ( between 2,000 and 50,000 years depending upon who's estimate you trust.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROW9F-c0kIQ

In regards to the Ocean Plastic problem.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned

I used to be one of those right wing climate change deniers. My distaste for Al Gore certainly fed into that.

Then came "climate gate".

At first I was with the Ah Ha crowd. Then came the two independent reviews. They clearly showed that the IPCC did not falsify their findings. I read both of the reports at the time looking for holes... there were none.

The FUD spread by groups like the Heartland Foundation and their ilk is just that...FUD.

I find it funny how often one hears that it is the big bad scientists who are money hungry grant diggers who are skewing the science when the Heartland group is funded by oil companies and other large emitters. It is funny that the same tactics and some of the same people that were part of the tobacco companies attempts to suggest cigarettes were not harmful are involved bin promoting the deniers.

It was the evidence that changed my mind. It took a lot, but reality is reality.

Just as an aside, both international insurance companies AND the Pentagon are making contingency plans for changes due to climate change. They wouldn't do that if the deniers were right, would they?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I used to be one of those right wing climate change deniers. My distaste for Al Gore certainly fed into that.

At first I was with the Ah Ha crowd. Then came the two independent reviews. They clearly showed that the IPCC did not falsify their findings. I read both of the reports at the time looking for holes... there were none.

The FUD spread by groups like the Heartland Foundation and their ilk is just that...FUD.

I find it funny how often one hears that it is the big bad scientists who are money hungry grant diggers who are skewing the science when the Heartland group is funded by oil companies and other large emitters. It is funny that the same tactics and some of the same people that were part of the tobacco companies attempts to suggest cigarettes were not harmful are involved bin promoting the deniers.

It was the evidence that changed my mind. It took a lot, but reality is reality.

Just as an aside, both international insurance companies AND the Pentagon are making contingency plans for changes due to climate change. They wouldn't do that if the deniers were right, would they?
Welcome back.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Awesome argument. How do you know the climate has changed, nobody had accurate thermometers 100 years ago.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
ality.

Why wouldn't they? They are just as crooked as anybody, another justification to create more gov't bureaucracy and implement more taxes. Insurance companies are the first to climb on the impending doom theories. Anything to justify increasing premiums all the while gaining justification to deny claims.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM

The largest money making scam ever dreamed up and full of nothing but hot air. I wonder what they called it in the dirty thirties. Tell Saskatchewan they are going to dry up from global warming. What a croc!!!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...global-warming

Apparently scientists have been stumped as to why the earth is not warming. Scientists have showed the oceans came out of a warming phase 14 years ago and have been in a cooling phase since. Not factoring oceans in models has been corrected somewhat. Massive impact of oceans on weather and temperature has dramatically reduced the percentage impact CO2 has on temp.

Some scientists are crying saying they thing the lower ocean is absorbing the heat making a warming inevitable. Problem is warm water rises and heatin is top down and the upper ocean is not showing warming.

Stay tuned folks but global warming alarmists have their hands full and can't scream the sky is falling any more.

Also the IPCC released their report before this breaking study that was heavily peer reviewed and published in Nature.

cold water rises.... thats how you get ice
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Who cares right won't effect you ?.
It's not like the ocean will rise 10 or 20 feet overnight and drown millions in their beds. It's a gradual thing over decades or centuries 'if' it even happens. There will be plenty of time to develop new neighborhoods and relocate people to these safe areas and to remove the neighborhoods that are in danger of encroaching sea levels.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROW9F-c0kIQ

In regards to the Ocean Plastic problem.

The video is exactly what I was getting at, we created this problem and it gets bigger every year. The ocean can't clean itself so it gets worse and worse. If we execute the speakers plan, to clean the ocean of plastic we would still need to fundamentally change human behavior. We've all seen our favorite hunting and fishing spots trashed by less courteous and mindful individuals and their trash, well we all share in the blame for the plastic problem of the oceans. And it gets even more depressing when you realize that it is only one issue. We have a convergence of crisis caused by our polluting ways. CO2 is minor IMO, if we keep treating the oceans how we've been treating them, there will be no fish in them and worse, the ocean generates more then half of the oxygen we breathe on this planet and we are killing it with ignorance.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...oplankton.html
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
I hope you are just kidding. Cold water does not rise.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Since you believe the IPCC so strongly at least then you believe the temperature has not warmed in 14 years. The climate "pause" or "hiatus period" is well known now.

Now you just need to recognize most of there finding is based upon models that keep getting proved wrong.

Then you just need to accept the wide degree of error in past data.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
Your kidding??!!!....right?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
From the Article in the OP

Shows a steady rise in both CO2 and temperature and it also shoes cyclical events such as El Nino an La Nina, but with a steady upward trend. Evidence is clear that the earth is warming and CO2 levels are rising. If you don't see the correlation between the two, I recommend investing in property on Venus I hear it's nice there when the lead is partially melted and not flowing.
Correlation does not equal causation.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM

I suspect it is much easier to control people with fear even if unproven. Politics and scientists have done a great job of causing fear. It gives them control and power. Guess I'm not very smart because I just don't buy into it. Never have, never will!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Has there ever been a period in history when human beings, or our ancestors, homo habilus, homo erectus, have not experienced "climate change"? Was it the caveman's CO2 emissions causing it? I have no problem with being kinder to the Earth and all of us should do our part in caring for our planet. The cleaner we become the better, every year industries get cleaner and that is progress. My problem with the climate change crowds is their unsubstantiated fear-mongering.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:

What other massive omissions have been missed yet still proclaim their models doom and gloom. How many more mistakes to their guesses before an ice age is the new fear?
I remember when Suzuki and friends were claiming that we were heading for another ice age (70's sometime I think) and it was all our fault! They had all sorts of studies, data and claims. Hmm .... that one didn't work - lets go the other way. Global warming! We're doomed! Oh, and it's all our fault but if we pay stupid amounts of money to some rich guys; it'll all be better.