Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 PM

Default New global warming study shows no warming last 14 years

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...global-warming

Apparently scientists have been stumped as to why the earth is not warming. Scientists have showed the oceans came out of a warming phase 14 years ago and have been in a cooling phase since. Not factoring oceans in models has been corrected somewhat. Massive impact of oceans on weather and temperature has dramatically reduced the percentage impact CO2 has on temp.

Some scientists are crying saying they thing the lower ocean is absorbing the heat making a warming inevitable. Problem is warm water rises and heatin is top down and the upper ocean is not showing warming.

Stay tuned folks but global warming alarmists have their hands full and can't scream the sky is falling any more.

Also the IPCC released their report before this breaking study that was heavily peer reviewed and published in Nature.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Maybe because all their theories were wrong and the hysteria was a pile of bovine excrement.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 PM

I wish I could say 'SHOCKING!' , but I can't.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

pretty hot today

but pretty chilly tonight
Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned

A lot of climate scientists on here.

Why is climate change a political point ?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 PM

It's ALL about 'Carbon Credits' and a bunch of rich people about to give us yet another FAKE tax for us to pay them more in the name of global warming (Which I think is caused by increased solar activity anyhow).

No tinfoil hat here - just wait and see. people will start paying 'carbon tax' for less efficient homes, furnaces, cars, consumer goods that use more energy to make etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM

From the article:

Quote:
The slowdown in the upward march of global average temperatures has been greeted by climate sceptics as evidence that the climate is less affected by greenhouse gases than thought. But climate scientists are much more cautious, pointing out that the trend is still upwards, and that the current temperature rises are well within the expected range. Past temperature records and computer predictions both show that periods of slower rises are to be expected as part of the natural variability of the planet's climate.
Temperatures are still rising. The earth is still warming. This is just a new model that encompasses the current observations and expands upon our understanding.

Climate change is happening and there is still a large body of evidence that shows the increased CO2 emissions are partly responsible. This study shows that the impact of CO2 and its interaction with the oceans is different then scientists originally predicted. It doesn't show that anthropogenic global warming is a myth.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
From the article:

Temperatures are still rising. The earth is still warming. This is just a new model that encompasses the current observations and expands upon our understanding.

Climate change is happening and there is still a large body of evidence that shows the increased CO2 emissions are partly responsible. This study shows that the impact of CO2 and its interaction with the oceans is different then scientists originally predicted. It doesn't show that anthropogenic global warming is a myth.
Before this study they blamed the rise on human caused CO2. Now evidence shows a natural ocean warming cycle was occurring during that time. When it stopped so did the warming.

Ignoring the facts such as questionable temperature measurements, biased data locations, lack of study peer review by scientists that are sceptical on IPCC reports etc... What this shows is that influence on temperature is largely due to factors other than CO2. In other words CO2 has some effect but far less than previously thought. The scientific community is all a buzz on this new evidence.

You will also find that research money flows to pro global warming scientists. Therefore every such report tries to cover their butts by inferring they are not sceptics. Scientists on average are not fanatical nut jobs but average folks that have families to feed. They are not going to **** off their sugar daddies.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 AM

From the Article in the OP

Shows a steady rise in both CO2 and temperature and it also shoes cyclical events such as El Nino an La Nina, but with a steady upward trend. Evidence is clear that the earth is warming and CO2 levels are rising. If you don't see the correlation between the two, I recommend investing in property on Venus I hear it's nice there when the lead is partially melted and not flowing.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Got your tinfoil hat all shined up I see.
Have you compared fuel prices in BC with prices in Alberta lately? He might have a point.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
From the Article in the OP

Shows a steady rise in both CO2 and temperature and it also shoes cyclical events such as El Nino an La Nina, but with a steady upward trend. Evidence is clear that the earth is warming and CO2 levels are rising. If you don't see the correlation between the two, I recommend investing in property on Venus I hear it's nice there when the lead is partially melted and not flowing.
When ocean temps dropped the hiatus period started. If CO2 was that important to global warming why then did the earths average temp drop? Could there be other factors more important causing temperature cycles? Could CO2 be far less significant than thought. Could man's attempt to simplify earth temperature model to just the last 50 years out of 5 billion be a laughable attempt at poor scientific thought?

What other massive omissions have been missed yet still proclaim their models doom and gloom. How many more mistakes to their guesses before an ice age is the new fear?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM

When the data doesn't support the conclusion, you have two choices:

1) change data and/or manipulate the data collection

Or

2) change your model to explain the data and have it now support your conclusion thereby strengthing your position versus weakening it. ("I decided to take the scenic route...knew where I was along...perposterous...I was not lost and wandering about!!!")

Considering they've already been busted/criticized for doing #1, now they are expecting to be excused for #2.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
When ocean temps dropped the hiatus period started. If CO2 was that important to global warming why then did the earths average temp drop? Could there be other factors more important causing temperature cycles? Could CO2 be far less significant than thought. Could man's attempt to simplify earth temperature model to just the last 50 years out of 5 billion be a laughable attempt at poor scientific thought?

What other massive omissions have been missed yet still proclaim their models doom and gloom. How many more mistakes to their guesses before an ice age is the new fear?
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Also, there is much data being accumulated from ice cores from the arctic and antarctic as well as various glaciers, these provide evidence for climate change for about 200k years. Also studies on fossilized pollen and plants are providing more insight to conditions from the past and these provide evidence for the past few million years. While 'accurate' or better approximate climate information is at best 60-70 years old and I most certainly agree doesn't allow us much insight, there is far more evidence then you're leading on about.

I'm pretty sure the ratio of reputable scientists who believe in Global Warming or Climate Change compared to those who deny it's happening is pretty heavy on the in favor side. With far more evidence then the flat earth supporters of the past.

I should also point out that even during the 'hiatus' period, temperature peaks might not have met the high from before, but they have not dropped below the previous low. This indicates to me that temperatures are still on the rise. Who knows this may just be a lul between 'little ice ages' or the start of a new ice age as evidence suggests that temperatures rise before they fall drastically and ice sheets cover the northern hemisphere.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Remember Wild&Free, funding is a great convincer. And there's a LOT of money tied up in global warming. It is something to keep in mind. There's no tinfoil hat required either.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Remember Wild&Free, funding is a great convincer. And there's a LOT of money tied up in global warming. It is something to keep in mind. There's no tinfoil hat required either.
Sure there is money in proving it but there is far more money in disproving it.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Think so?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Think so?
Why are people fighting it ?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

I have never been able to figure out why global warming is a political thing of right vs left.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Also, there is much data being accumulated from ice cores from the arctic and antarctic as well as various glaciers, these provide evidence for climate change for about 200k years. Also studies on fossilized pollen and plants are providing more insight to conditions from the past and these provide evidence for the past few million years. While 'accurate' or better approximate climate information is at best 60-70 years old and I most certainly agree doesn't allow us much insight, there is far more evidence then you're leading on about.

I'm pretty sure the ratio of reputable scientists who believe in Global Warming or Climate Change compared to those who deny it's happening is pretty heavy on the in favor side. With far more evidence then the flat earth supporters of the past.

I should also point out that even during the 'hiatus' period, temperature peaks might not have met the high from before, but they have not dropped below the previous low. This indicates to me that temperatures are still on the rise. Who knows this may just be a lul between 'little ice ages' or the start of a new ice age as evidence suggests that temperatures rise before they fall drastically and ice sheets cover the northern hemisphere.
Remember the real issue definer is that your historical data shows warming periods and cooling periods are normal earth processes that are not fully understood. That 500 year oscillations are just a small blip is a larger earth process.

CO2 is now not nearly as significant as once thought. Scientists are learning more and more every day which shows today we know nothing.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

This truly only pertains to ice ages. Warmer earth means more food. All of the earths greatest cultural advances occurred during warming periods. Our worst times were during cold periods.

Warming earth is not bad. Just cause people pick stupid places to live like flood plains does not mean the whole world owes then anything.

Spend some money on better crops. Not on CO2 which has little impact on climate after water vapour and ocean temperatures.

Plants need CO2.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Remember the real issue definer is that your historical data shows warming periods and cooling periods are normal earth processes that are not fully understood. That 500 year oscillations are just a small blip is a larger earth process.

CO2 is now not nearly as significant as once thought. Scientists are learning more and more every day which shows today we know nothing.

This truly only pertains to ice ages. Warmer earth means more food. All of the earths greatest cultural advances occurred during warming periods. Our worst times were during cold periods.

Warming earth is not bad. Just cause people pick stupid places to live like flood plains does not mean the whole world owes then anything.

Spend some money on better crops. Not on CO2 which has little impact on climate after water vapour and ocean temperatures.

Plants need CO2.

80% of the worlds populations live at plus or minus 10 feet above sea level, it's a big major deal if the ocean rises 20 feet. New York City, la , Boston, Montreal, Halifax, London Tokyo all close to sea level.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Social engineering requires a massive amounts of tax money, an impoverished middle class and a crushing tax burden such that no man is able to pull himself to his own feet. And an elite ivory tower/ivy league attitude to rule them. Liberal left core thinking and their basic political foundational concepts.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
No argument from me on that point. One can take a look at the data themselves though and recognize a pattern of steadily increasing temperatures and CO2 levels.

At least climate research isn't as screwed as pharmaceutical research.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
No argument from me on that point. One can take a look at the data themselves though and recognize a pattern of steadily increasing temperatures and CO2 levels.

At least climate research isn't as screwed as pharmaceutical research.
The side effects are much worse though
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Plants need CO2.
Earth warms, weather systems get more intense, more flooding, higher sea levels, less arable land. Some of the best growing land is found on flood plains, oceans rise, that land now contains higher amounts of brackish water which will decrease it's productivity. Flooding in the great plains will intensify, washing away seed and shorten the growing season. Some fisheries will also collapse as well. Salmon for instance don't really like warm rivers to spawn in.

Though as our species has demonstrated over the past 600k years or so, we are very adaptable and can survive very warm periods and very cold periods I don't see this as a horrible thing, I do live in the northish part of the nation.

I'd also like to add, I'm opposed to the idea of Carbon Taxes, and Carbon sequestration schemes. I am for moving away from a hydrocarbon backed economy to a renewable energy economy, which is why I'm no longer a climate change denier ( I used to be in that camp btw). Call it picking my fight with the best weapon available imo.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The side effects are much worse though
Well, climate change will mostly affect future generations but when you dad has a stroke as a result of a prescribed medication for an innocuous condition I think that's worse.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, climate change will mostly affect future generations but when you dad has a stroke as a result of a prescribed medication for an innocuous condition I think that's worse.
Worse for your dad not the entire world.

Your comparing a pebble to a mountain.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Yup its all those liberal elites, secret UN global domination committees and grant-hungry scientists that are set to make billions from inventing global warming.

Existing industry that benefits from the status quo - coal, oil - of course those guys have no economic interest in spreading misinformation that global warming is not happening.

You guys are funny if you think the manipulating is coming from the scientists!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
A warmer earth is a positive development for mankind. History shows it never lasts.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
A warmer earth is a positive development for mankind. History shows it never lasts.
How do you know it never lasts ?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
How do you know it never lasts ?
Have you looked up "ice ages"?