Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Default hotels in wainwright

just wondering if anybody is having troubles booking or finding hotels in wainwright ive been a lil tarty havent done it yet
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

To give you an idea, I booked a room at the Bison last year in June when I found out I was drawn.....

When I got there, my room was gone. I had checked in twice and confirmed that I had a room. My name was still on the top of the list, but I was given the boot last minute. I made a bit of noise and they managed to find us a room in another motel, but its definatly kind of tight around there with all the hunters and the oilfield stuff goin on....

Good luck man....take anything you can get at this point....
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Phoned Oct 25 and booked two rooms at the R&R for Oct.31 and Nov 1. no problem. Wouldn't recommend the establishment as the walls are very thin, you hear every vehicle drive by on the main drag. If it's really windy, the motel shakes with each strong gust. Still, it was clean and well maintained. The old place across the street to the north (The Plainsman?) is older but quieter. The best place to eat is the Boston Pizza. Stay away from the Honey Pot, it's supposed to be the fine dining establishment in town but the food (and the service) (and the atmosphere, now that's funny) is marginal at best. The best place for breakfast, the Husky, is closed.

Bobby B.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM

If my memory serves me right, there's a B&B or two in town, They may well prove the best choice. Stay clear of the Honey Pot restaurant.

Bobby B.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 PM
sheephunter

Bobby, it's a whole different deal when the hunt is on in the base...like Trev said rooms get tight! Getting a room any other time of year is a snap but not during the hunt.

The Bison has really gone downhill but if you get desperate, it's cheap.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Default no vacancy signs

There were some no vacancy signs this week and that is before the hunt...I would book ASAP if you want a spot.....

Any room would be better than the tent at a balmy -22 right now....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 AM

Last stayed in the Bison in 2002. It was fine then. Have also stayed in the Bio-vista. It was alright, but during a blizzard, snow was blowing in around the door.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Rooms

Booked into the bison motel yesterday, under new management and still had rooms left, My only questionto Mgt, does the furnace and toilet work, 85$/night is a great deal.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
To give you an idea, I booked a room at the Bison last year in June when I found out I was drawn.....

When I got there, my room was gone. I had checked in twice and confirmed that I had a room. My name was still on the top of the list, but I was given the boot last minute. I made a bit of noise and they managed to find us a room in another motel, but its definatly kind of tight around there with all the hunters and the oilfield stuff goin on....

Good luck man....take anything you can get at this point....
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!.....booked at the Bison 6 months in advance, checked at the beginning of November, everything was cool....arrived the night before the hunt....NO ROOM....The clerk made a couple calls, got us into another hotel owned by the same guy....then they tried to charge us more for the room....WTF???? Anyway, after a little "discussion" we settled everything up, and had a great hunt......
Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!.....booked at the Bison 6 months in advance, checked at the beginning of November, everything was cool....arrived the night before the hunt....NO ROOM....The clerk made a couple calls, got us into another hotel owned by the same guy....then they tried to charge us more for the room....WTF???? Anyway, after a little "discussion" we settled everything up, and had a great hunt......
Haha...yep the exact thing happened. Its funny because I had told a few people I had a feeling something was going wrong with the reservation. Definatly not a good feeling when they give your room away and tell you when you get there. Goes to show that all the planning in the world really doesnt help if they decide to punt ya, but at least they made it up and found us a room at the other motel....
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Haha...yep the exact thing happened. Its funny because I had told a few people I had a feeling something was going wrong with the reservation. Definatly not a good feeling when they give your room away and tell you when you get there. Goes to show that all the planning in the world really doesnt help if they decide to punt ya, but at least they made it up and found us a room at the other motel....
Ya I was a little upset when I got there and found I had no room....when they guy started flipping through a note pad looking for my reservation I had visions of 3 of us sleeping in my truck for 3 nights....and with the temp we had last year...that wasn't sounding so good! Finally when he found my mis spelled reservation....and said "no rooms left" I was about ready to snap! He came through though, found us another room in the other hotel...so everything ended up ok, but man, maybe time to trade in the note pad reservation system for something a little more with the times...perhaps a PC with windows 95??????

Oh well I guess next time a guy shouldn't be so lazy and book way sooner than 6 months in advance
Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM

next year should be a little better?
went to town yesterday and saw a sign for a ramada inn
accross from Timmies.
Maybe I'll have to talk the wife and take in a couple of you...now that we have no kids at home!

LeRoy