Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Default fly tying

hey all i was wondering recently i tied a bunch of flies for the next few trips and used the spools of thread in the fly fishing section of the store. even using the cement glue for fly tying i found the flies keep coming apart even after a few whip finisher knots. has anyone tried using just regular sewing thread? i am thinking of this and was wondering what the big difference other than some of the actual fly tying stuff is labeled like a wax type thread. specifically i was tying my version of chrono's and i even covered the whole fly with cement figuring it would make the fly last alot longer. i'm not whipping the fly when casting or snagging tree's or bushes during casting but catching alot of fish. is this just a normal wear and tear thing? i fished for like 6hours and caught like 16 fish all in the 4-7lb range. went through 7 flies.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hey all i was wondering recently i tied a bunch of flies for the next few trips and used the spools of thread in the fly fishing section of the store. even using the cement glue for fly tying i found the flies keep coming apart even after a few whip finisher knots. has anyone tried using just regular sewing thread? i am thinking of this and was wondering what the big difference other than some of the actual fly tying stuff is labeled like a wax type thread. specifically i was tying my version of chrono's and i even covered the whole fly with cement figuring it would make the fly last alot longer. i'm not whipping the fly when casting or snagging tree's or bushes during casting but catching alot of fish. is this just a normal wear and tear thing? i fished for like 6hours and caught like 16 fish all in the 4-7lb range. went through 7 flies.
What thread were you using?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 AM

1 fly is well spent if destroyed by a 4lb+ trout , but trt epoxy or laquer for a bulletproof finish also whip finish more than once dont bother with sewing thread... lol its way to thick and weak. Veevus tying thread is where its at check it out i think you can get 16/0 thread thats nearly unbreakable but if you dont whip finish properly it doesnt matter what you use.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:08 AM

Uni,UTC & DANVILLES have served me very well,with no issues .For over 40 yrs.Your coating might be the problem.Sally hansens hard as nails,nothing with Aectone in it thou.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM

I use the same threads, Uni,UTC & Danville. Veevus for #18 and smaller. Tied thousands of flies commercially since the 60's and never had one shop complaint or one unravel on me on the water. Fish do tear material off the over time and they do wear but it sounds more like a tying problem than thread. There is nothing like sitting down for a few hours and getting some lessons on basic tying structure with different materials and how to lock them in. It certainly will pay off. Or join a local tying club and watch other tiers.

Sewing threads are a bad choice as they are cotton which will relax and deteriorate when wet. Tying threads are synthetic which is what to look for, their smooth surface is needed to capture materials and lock them down plus flatten and whip finish properly.

Keep tying

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations

Last edited by Lornce; 05-09-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM

I'm having fun with the new 'nano-silk' threads by Semperfli. They are incredibly strong. Also I've been 'roping' many materials with thread before applying - especially peacock herl, and found that the durability of my flies has increased dramatically.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Banned

I'm thinking your flies may become unravelled from using hemostats or pliers to remove the barbed flies from the fish. I used to experience this until I went barbless. Now I use a "Ketchum Release" tool and don't have to handle the fish and don't damage my flies.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
I'm thinking your flies may become unravelled from using hemostats or pliers to remove the barbed flies from the fish. I used to experience this until I went barbless. Now I use a "Ketchum Release" tool and don't have to handle the fish and don't damage my flies.
I'm surprised that more people don't use the Ktchum release tool. They're fantastic!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm surprised that more people don't use the Ktchum release tool. They're fantastic!
more people don't use them because they're too bloody expensive.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm surprised more people don't run their hand down the line, grab the fly with their fingers and give it twist.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
I'm surprised more people don't run their hand down the line, grab the fly with their fingers and give it twist.
X2 I can't remember the last time I used a tool to remove a fly. Maybe because I fish lakes mostly?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Yes, that works very well with larger flies, but many times small flies are difficult to get ahold of and often requires grabbing the fish with one hand while removing the hook with the other. The Ketchum Release works first time, every time and there is no handling of the fish.
Additionally, when a person is using multiple fly setups, running your hand down the line leads to hooks in the hand when the fish flips around and the mono leader/tippet slips.
Thank you, No. I have evolved.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM

Right you are! With smaller flies, (and smaller fish), I do far less damage with a a Ketchum than with my clumsy, sausage fingers.