Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 11:28 PM

Default Rings for integrated dovetail

Im looking for rings that will fit a 0.75" integrated dovetail.
Tikka rings are too narrow and weaver rings are slightly too wide.

Am I looking for a unicorn?

Rifle is a BSA Hunter.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post

Rifle is a BSA Hunter.
Parker Hale rings IIRC are what you want
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Cat is correct and its a set of Parker Hale rings you need, but they are really quite hard to find and not a particularly well made item either. In my opinion you would be further ahead to have your gunsmith drill and tap the front and rear receiver ring and bridge for Weaver style bases and then you have a vast choice of ring hights and diameters. D.H.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Don't drill it until you try Burris.
My bsa hunter wears Burris zee rings. They normally fit weaver bases but will work on the bsa dovetail quite well.
Inexpensive as well
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Don't drill it until you try Burris.
My bsa hunter wears Burris zee rings. They normally fit weaver bases but will work on the bsa dovetail quite well.
Inexpensive as well
Thanks for the suggestion. I would prefer to use the dovetail.

Truth is the rifle is currenty wearing a set of vintage Burris rings. They appear very well made but not in production any longer. I would keep them but they are too low for the scope I intend to use.

I read somewhere else that the CZ 550 dovetail is the same size and I may be able to use two front rings designed for the 550.

I'll check out these two options first.

Thanks all.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 AM

I did not know the Burris Zee ring would work on a BSA. How do you accommodate the cross screw that clamps the ring on, did you mill a slot in the receiver bridge or does the ring just sit up high bottoming out on the cross screw underneath. If this set up is strong enough its good news for BSA owners. D.H.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Like this.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 PM

That set up is probably fine on your 222 but I would think that if it was on something like a 30-06 there might be some slippage issues. But then again there is only one way to find out. D.H.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post

Rifle is a BSA Hunter.
Found this on a Forum called Opticstalk, posted by TRX. Info might help as it goes along with some other info provided.

Quote:
I have a 1957 BSA Imperial Featherweight. The rifle has the ring and bridge cut with a 19mm dovetail to take a proprietary Parker-Hale ring set. It's a simple dovetail (not double like a Weaver or Picatinny) with a vertical dowel in the bridge to take recoil.

After three months of searching I was unable to find a set of the correct Parker-Hale rings for my rifle and scope, but I did find a message someone left about being able to use some Warne rings. So I called Warne a while ago and talked to one of their Randy at Warne, who knew all about the BSA and what rings fit.

They sell a kit with two CZ550 front rings to fit the BSA.

Randy said some BSAs don't have the dovetails on the ring cut all the way to the front; for those, the end of the dovetail acts as the recoil stop. Mine's cut straight end to end, though.

Warne makes that particular CZ ring in 1" or 30mm, and in "medium" (.425" high) and "high" (.535" high). They measure the height from the dovetail to the bottom of the ring, so add .50" or .59" to the centerline of the scope tube. They don't make a short ring for this application. All current production rings are matte finished; they're phasing out gloss finished rings.

Randy said Warne doesn't have a part number for the two-front-CZ-ring kit, so you can't order through their usual distributor network. But they'll sell you the correct rings directly for $58, plus shipping. Expensive, but 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the "correct" Parker-Hale rings, if you can find them.

My scope sits a bit taller in the medium-height than I wanted - my scope has a smallish objective - but the rings fit the receiver just fine; the BSA and CZ dovetails apparently have the same dovetail angles.

The CZ rear ring is supposed to have a square block that interlocks with a matching divot in the receiver to keep the rings from sliding with recoil. The Parker-Hale rear ring had a round dowel. The CZ front rings just clamp on, with friction holding them in place. I'm going to shoot the rifle a bit to see if the scope stays in place; if it shifts, I'll drill the rear ring for a PH-style dowel.

The P-H rings are apparently in short supply because they're the correct rings for some SMLE sniper models, and the SMLE collectors vastly outnumber the BSA owners.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM

I think my son's BSA has the dovetsil cuts that stop short of the end of the receiver so act as a stop ad is described in the link
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

I haven't had any issues with them moving. I would try them before I tapped the dovetail for bases