Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 PM

Default Inline black powder rifle advise

My father is looking for a inline black powder rifle. I know nothing about these types of rifles other than Jim shockey likes TC. Can any of you guys that use them give me an education of brands calibers and any other good stuff I can pass onto him before he goes out there and buys something silly. I have read the black powder stickey but he's looking specifically at the modern inline type.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 PM

I have the older remington in line. It has its issues. If you want no hassle than go with a break action in a 209 primer ignition. That being said. Some are real cheap some are worth the extra cash. Look online for a good used one. Cva and tc can be had for a good deal used.
Shoot sabotage and pyridex pellets way easier than finding black powder.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 PM

I'm trying to figure out the inline black thing. Can someone explain to me why one would do this instead of going full trad with a rock lock or cap lock. To me it's like go traditional or shoot a 3030 if you want less of a disadvantage than a high velocity rifle. I'm just want to know without ****ing anyone off why? I want to understand. If I'm getting dirty with black. I want the full experience. It's about hunting out there not shooting or success.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I'm trying to figure out the inline black thing. Can someone explain to me why one would do this instead of going full trad with a rock lock or cap lock. To me it's like go traditional or shoot a 3030 if you want less of a disadvantage than a high velocity rifle. I'm just want to know without ****ing anyone off why? I want to understand. If I'm getting dirty with black. I want the full experience. It's about hunting out there not shooting or success.
All a matter of preference. The inline thing is arguably more convenient, accurate and extends range over traditional black powder. These of course are generalities but it sums it up simply and succinctly. If you want to test your skills and try something a lot more different than using a center fire rifle than go black powder (traditional cap & ball) if you want less of a challenge and want to possibly extend your season go inline.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 PM

My father is getting old and his hunting career has peaked due to health issues, he's looking to use something other than a shotgun for the 212 Primitive weapons hunt. We have shotguns now but he has always wanted something black powder and has his eye on the inline rifles. Personal choice I guess.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 AM

Does he want to spend $200 or $700? Also after buying a rifle, it's gonna cost anywhere from $100 to $150 before he can fire a shot and clean the rifle. And if his eye's are wore out like mine, he's going to have to buy a scope.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 AM

He's looking to spend about 1000$ does a stainless barrel make that much of a difference for corrosion?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
My father is getting old and his hunting career has peaked due to health issues, he's looking to use something other than a shotgun for the 212 Primitive weapons hunt. We have shotguns now but he has always wanted something black powder and has his eye on the inline rifles. Personal choice I guess.
Is the primitive weapons season only for muzzleloaders or can a guy use an antique like an old rolling block or such?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Is the primitive weapons season only for muzzleloaders or can a guy use an antique like an old rolling block or such?
On Alberta realm it states: Code: 732 Species: Elk Season: (Monday to Friday only (Primitive Weapon - muzzle loader, shotgun, cross-bow, bow and arrow): Jan 2 - Jan 20) Location: WMU 212. It's a fun hunt I got acces to some good 1/4 had a few chances but there just to slippery so far.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Inline muzzleloader

Pm sent
Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM

There are many excellent inline muzzle loaders available. CVA, Thompson Center, Lyman. It really depends on what works best for your father.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

i have had a bunch of inlines i have a couple tc's and they're terrible. the trigger broke on one of mine when i closed the action.

CVA is the best one i've owned so far.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Pm sent
I just made a bunch of smoke with the Lyman you sold me. What a hoot. It finally warmed up for shooting
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM

I bought my entry level muzzle loader about 25 years ago as I didn't know how addicting hunting with one would be, plus where I hunt there is a 2 or 3 week mzler deer season right before the rifle deer season so I get an extra season, usually with decent weather and no bugs.
Mine is a Knight USAK .50 cal inline that has knocked down a lot of deer. Percussion cap ignition, plunger style bolt. A lot of fun to shoot but a pita to clean.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I just made a bunch of smoke with the Lyman you sold me. What a hoot. It finally warmed up for shooting
Good to hear. I have an inline for sale if interested
The Op never answered my PM..

Was going to make smoke this weekend but Calgary called.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Good to hear. I have an inline for sale if interested
The Op never answered my PM..

Was going to make smoke this weekend but Calgary called.
Nope. Inline ain't my thing.