Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 03:08 PM

Default Looking for a gunsmith

Hi all
I have a custom 325wsm I bought from a friend before xmas needing some work. It is not so affectionately nicknamed "Franken gun".
26" ss barrel, Mauser 98 Large ring action 1944 dou, Timney trigger, Bell&Carlson stock.
I have issues with the rounds jumping out/not feeding out of the magazine. I think the (in)competent gunsmith who built the gun opened up something too much because the rounds do not want to stay in the magazine.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in northern Alberta who can look at this type of problem? I don't want to spend the farm - just need to see if the gun is repairable or make it single shot with a custom follower.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Sounds like a perfect job for David Henry
Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 PM

No it doesn't sound like the perfect job for David Henry. Take it back to the Gunsmith that did the job, give him a chance to repair it correctly. If he was smart enough to fit the barrel up for you and do whatever else was required to make it a custom rifle then he can be the one to make it feed. D.H.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:17 PM

It was a joke.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
No it doesn't sound like the perfect job for David Henry. Take it back to the Gunsmith that did the job, give him a chance to repair it correctly. If he was smart enough to fit the barrel up for you and do whatever else was required to make it a custom rifle then he can be the one to make it feed. D.H.
Unfortunately the ability to fit a barrel and making a rifle feed properly don't always go hand in hand. I've learned that from sad experience.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
If I knew who built the gun, I'd stand a chance but the gun has passed a few hands since the gunsmith made it (made by person unknown, sold to gun dealer, bought by a friend at a gun show who then sold it to me). All along the way everyone thought is was an easy fix but so far no dice. The gun shoots well so I'm told but you do need to feed it single cartridges.

I think this one might need a craftsman's touch. My bet is the gunsmith is long gone hoping never to see the product of his handiwork again.
PM me if you know of someone who isn't scared of fixing someone else's mistakes!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskminer View Post
If I knew who built the gun, I'd stand a chance but the gun has passed a few hands since the gunsmith made it (made by person unknown, sold to gun dealer, bought by a friend at a gun show who then sold it to me). All along the way everyone thought is was an easy fix but so far no dice. The gun shoots well so I'm told but you do need to feed it single cartridges.

I think this one might need a craftsman's touch. My bet is the gunsmith is long gone hoping never to see the product of his handiwork again.
PM me if you know of someone who isn't scared of fixing someone else's mistakes!
Sounds as though your gun has been through many hands. Perhaps some of those hands had much to do with it's inability to feed properly. Needless to say, Mr. Dave Henry shows his professional gentlemanly status by his suggestion to give your so called incompetent gunsmith an opportunity to fix the issue. Perhaps your problem is not that significant and can be resolved by most gunsmith in your area.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I seriously doubt it was built by a working gunsmith.Most full time smiths would tell a customer to find a action designed to feed that cartridge as it is not cost effective anymore to make a transition like that work.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM

I'm not sure what the gun's lineage is so here I am in Fort McMurray with no clue what to do. The only thing I can think of is making it work properly or getting a custom follower for single shot. I saw one on Brownells website but I am willing to throw a little more money at the gun before consigning it to single shot status.

Working in the Oilsands. Dirt 2 Oil pays the bills and buys me ammo
Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

Weak mag spring maybe or the follower has moved forward on the spring.

Weatherby has a pretty stiff spring maybe it's time for a new one?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Definitely need a new spring for the amount of "adjustments" done to it. I was going to get one from western gun along with a single shot follower but they were not interested in ordering the follower.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...user__98&f_a=1

Some parts.

Maybe try a post on practical machinists or what ever that place is called.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the link. I might have to use tradeex due to all those regulations...
Complicated to get parts from the USA to Canada. Is there an easy way?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I might have to use tradeex due to all those regulations...
Complicated to get parts from the USA to Canada. Is there an easy way?
Brownels is simple worst case scenario they will email you a form to fill out magazine parts should be fine. pm inbound
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Found a local gunsmith.
Thanks for the replies!!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 PM

David h is smart enough to know that trying to get a cartridge like that to feed out of a Mauser action is a futile effort. May get it to work sometimes but not 100%.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Found a local gunsmith.
Thanks for the replies!!
Who is the local gun smith? I didn't think there were any in Fort McMurray.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:58 PM

I was asked to be discreet due to the security issues with his shop. Sorry but he's strictly word of mouth.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Anyone who wants the contact information can pm me.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Did he fix it?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 PM

Yes he did. I will shoot the gun this weekend to make sure that it works properly. I don't expect 100% but the repairs were capped by me at $300 so I get what I paid for - and more because I'm sure he spent more time with the gun than he billed.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Right on. Congrats