Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 02:20 AM

Default Completely Green

Hi folks,

I'm sure there are threads on this (I've read a few of them) but none of them go much past what to do after taking my education course, which I've done. I also have my WIN card because I enjoy fishing a lot, but I have a deep yearning to get into hunting, specifically bowhunting. I grew up enjoying the outdoors (hiking, camping, fishing) but have yet to get into hunting. Would anyone be able to offer me a little help in getting started?

Many thanks, and sorry if this is redundant.

Connor
Old 10-26-2016, 02:24 AM

Seansoutdoor on youtube is a great set of videos on everything bowhunting.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Welcome, go to looking for a hunting partner thread, source out through that thread, pm, reach out and someone within your area will gladly help,and mentor you, good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Go to a good bow shop. Shoot shoot shoot shoot for 6months minimum. Find a good game trail between a bedding and feeding area. Set up a stand. Shoot a deer.

You can get more complicated of course but if you want to bow hunt you need to be very comfortable with your bow. Along the way you will meet people who like to shoot too and will gain more info.

Hunting partner thread would probably be a good place to start as well.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Banned

You need to do the hunters education through AHEIA. And you need to start practicing whatever hunting means you want to do, in this case you have stated bow hunting.

You have not stated where you are but there are of options for you and if you let us know your location, we can narrow them down.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM

Does one have to have a bow hunting education course?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post

No, as far as I know there isn't one in Alberta although I feel there should be. Alberta Hunter training or equivalent is required to bowhunt.

LC
Old 10-26-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post

There is a bow certificare that is required im not a bow hunter so i would check that section for that info. Or the aheia website.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Overwhelmed by the amount of support already; I can see this is going to be an amazing sport to get into. I am in the west Calgary area, on the way out to Bragg Creek. Am very excited to learn all aspects of hunting, too.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
There is a bow certificare that is required im not a bow hunter so i would check that section for that info. Or the aheia website.
Are you just referring to the bowhunting permit?
That's just another license type thing you buy when you get your tags and all.
As far as I know there is no specific bowhunting course or anything. As LC said tho, that would be a great idea.

Schian
Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 PM

best advice so far was to fine a good archery store and indoor range rent bows try to demo some talk to people there get some hands on advice start today and you should be ready to go by next september .bow hunting takes more practice and time than rifle hunting to be ready for that once a season shot .
Old 10-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Banned

Being in Calgary, I am very happy with JimBow's archery. Rough location is Deerfoot and McKnight but a quick search with your phone or computer will get you there.

As far as the hunting part of it, try and hookup with a bowhunter and see if you can go out with them. But before you even start to think that you're going to take a shot, practice. Lot's of people say a minimum of 6 months practice before you start hunting. I think that's a load of......
Make sure that you are where you're aiming. Consistently group 3 arrows into a golf ball at 20 yards. That might take a month but it might take 3 years. And practice shooting at distances longer than you plan to attempt to take an animal at. One great rule of thumb if plausible is double the distance you plan to shoot at game. If you want to shoot game at 30 yards, practice to 60. That isn't feasible for a lot of us, but shoot a lot. And remember, the first shot is the most important one.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM

^ Good advice. Also google articles and blogs/youtube on the types of specific hunt you want to do. You'll start to narrow it down as you go, and from there get to specifics of how/when/where. (What animal, what type of land, etc.)
Old 10-26-2016, 02:10 PM

This probably sounds cookie-cutter, but I'd love to hunt whitetail, preferably by stalking. I know there are a million things to learn about hunting, and I don't pretend to know much about any of them. I did used to go to the archery centre a fair bit, but I found that shooting a general rental now versus having a bow set up for you makes a big difference. I understand that all aspects will take a lot of patience and time to learn, and that's partially what makes me so excited about hunting.

Insofar as practicing a TON before hunting, I also respect that. I only want to hunt for a source of meat, not for sport. I understand that it will take a lot before I am ready to go on a hunt, but I would be just as excited to tag along and and learn how to field dress/butcher in advance; really anything I can do to expand my practical knowledge in the interim.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned

The archery center is good. If I want to shoot, I'll go there. Mainly because I can do 40 yards and partly because it's closer to me. If I want the service, I venture further north to JimBows.

Once you get set up with a bow, message me and we'll go out shooting. I can give you a few pointers on your shooting. We can talk about where you want to go and what all you'll be looking for.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:15 PM

I think the first step would to become proficient with shooting a bow. Shooting at Jim Bow's would be a good start and then through that I am sure you would meet others who hunt and would mentor you.