Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Out for a look see, it sure is wet in the bush

Had some Carb work done on Dads argo so the boy and I went for a test run. Went for our first look see in the Northern Wmu i hunt(516). Holy cow its wet out there. I was seeing water holes where there were none before. Little channels of water in the muskeg are now 4 ft wide mini ponds. Backed out of a few pipeline holes with the Argo as it was a sure thing we would be stuck, floating and real wet trying to get to somewhat hard ground to try and winch too. Argo on tracks would have been fun.

Didn't help that there is 4 inches of wet snow on top of un frozen ground. This will be one of those years where the muskeg won't freeze until mid November at least. My area where moose camp is, was void of quad tracks in the snow. Looks like no one dared the muskeg from hell and super sized water holes.

Unfortunately, in a 20+ km run, only seen 1 old moose bed, no fresh moose tracks in the snow. About half a dozen sets of old deer tracks in the snow, one huge buck track right through my tent camp spot lol. No deer or moose seen. Still a wasteland Imo, glad i didn't pull a tag this year, doubt i will for the next few years.

Even the wolf tracks are down to 1 lone scout here and there which is good. But the grouse numbers are doing great up there too. Seen lots. Didn't beat the heat and cost me 30 bucks at the car wash last night as the snow covered road melted out in most spots before we left. All in all it was a good day to go scouting.

October 2016 516 argo test 002.jpg

October 2016 516 argo test 008.jpg

October 2016 516 argo test 009.jpg

October 2016 516 argo test 006.jpg