Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Default Hunting dog vest?

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice, I haven't been much of a bird hunter in the passed. Then I got my Lab, he loves playing in the bush, runs along behind the side by side, and he just goes crazy for birds of any kind. Had him out once last year for grouse with a buddy of mine and now were hooked. He's just over a year old now, and i finally got some time to start getting out again with him this fall. I was just wondering if you guys put those orange vests or chest protectors on your dogs when out in the bush and if so what brand have you found to work best? I don't mind the idea of him having the orange to keep visible when running around in the bush with other hunters. Keep in mind we aren't too hardcore into bird hunting (yet) as I'm more of a big game hunter, so i don't need anything too fancy. Just looking for some tips on keeping him a little safer when out in the bush.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:08 PM

I picked up one very similar to this from Wholesale a few years ago. Very light, inexpensive, washable. Gives some protection to chest, some visibility to find him and for others not to shoot him, and it won't overheat him.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM

this is the one we use

Last edited by gs100bert; 10-21-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: wont post pic
Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM

I use two kinds on the French Brits; they are pretty "light" dogs vs. my Springer's. Most of the time I use a light vest as has been suggested and pictured on this Thread, but as the weather deteriorates into Nov. I will switch to a neoprene as has also been suggested and pictured on this Thread.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 PM

Maybe a vest for warmth or if your dog has a poor coat but my experience is they do more damage chaffing then protecting. With a lab I can't see it being needed.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 PM

My pup wears a skid plate for both protection and visibility. He wears a Mendota skid plate with fastex clips that stays on, whereas I have seen the velcro straps on some of the vests pulled loose when snagged on sticks or fences.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Elk; the Velcro tabs do rib off on barbed wire when they are in "hot pursuit" mode and scoot under the bottom wire, but I've kinda thought maybe that's OK as a sort of "break away system". Total "rip off" of all three straps has only happened once. But you got me rethinking. I'm going to try and find the product you suggest.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Smile I use the one Okotokes uses

I'm a firm believer is simplest is often the best. It protects the dog, makes her visible, can be made to easily to fit to reduce chafing and in difficult situations the dog can tear it off on a barb wire fence.

My girls have destroyed/worn out 3 of them. I just buy them new ones and keep hunting.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 PM

You have a manly dog not a girly pointer dog. He won't appreciate being put in a dress and I promise you it will chaff him bad. Some petroleum jelly on his nuts and half your sandwich at lunch keeps a lab going all day long.

I'm not kidding about the jelly.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Elk; the Velcro tabs do rib off on barbed wire when they are in "hot pursuit" mode and scoot under the bottom wire, but I've kinda thought maybe that's OK as a sort of "break away system". Total "rip off" of all three straps has only happened once. But you got me rethinking. I'm going to try and find the product you suggest.
I have only seen a dog run out of a vest altogether once, but I have seen several dogs dragging the vest after one or two velcro fasteners have pulled loose. I had to do a bit of fine tuning on the adjustments to get the skid plate to fit my pup, but I haven't seen any significant chaffing yet. Then again, every dog is built slightly different, so it may not work as well on another dog. I only bought the skid plate, because it was so highly rated on the gundog supply site, but it seems to be working out well so far.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 PM

Don't waste your money. They are more of a hinderence, especially in the bush. They chafe, collect sticks, get hung up, dog don't really like them, etc.
If your concerned about visibility buy a 2-3 inch wide bright orange collar.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default Do what I do !

Take him into Wholesale and try a few on him !

See how they fit , they can rub and move if they are not tight
In the right places . I use a skid plate on my girly dog ....I believe
It saved his life a couple of times . I am amazed how much garbage is laying
Around in pastures north of Brooks .
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Sneeze: Yes my French Britts are not manly dogs. First of all they are both spay bitches. Secondly they are hampered with an older, fat guy that tags along at a leisurely pace, and no longer cares to or can keep up with the flushers. Thirdly on those cold night in hunt camp, they make wonderful bed warmers.

Seriously I love em both and can no longer hunt at the pace I once did. I love getting out, and they work close, point etc. and for the most part I am now hunting with either no shells in the firearm or a camera!!
Old 10-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Don't waste your money. They are more of a hinderence, especially in the bush. They chafe, collect sticks, get hung up, dog don't really like them, etc.
If your concerned about visibility buy a 2-3 inch wide bright orange collar.
I agree.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
You have a manly dog not a girly pointer dog. He won't appreciate being put in a dress and I promise you it will chaff him bad. Some petroleum jelly on his nuts and half your sandwich at lunch keeps a lab going all day long.

I'm not kidding about the jelly.
I also have a "manly dog" - a 95 lb golden lab - and I have a chest protector on him to save his hide. A day or two chasing pheasant in cactus, roses, thistles and thorns in general, and without the vest he's a bleeding mass of cuts and bald spots. No one and/or no beast needs to go through that. Bad enough the beating his legs and feet take. Some custom tailoring and there is no chafing. I do agree with the petroleum jelly or such for long haired dogs as the thorns don't catch as bad and the burrs are easier to remove. Petroleum jelly is a pain to wash out (for us non-manly men) and so I use mink oil conditioner. Mink oil, petroleum jelly, spray bandage, bandage wraps, super glue, and a steel comb and tweezers for cacti are mandatory in my pack. I've never had any issues pursuing grouse and don't subject him to wearing a vest.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 PM

Default no such thing as a golden lab

that is a yellow lab recognized by ckc, golden retrievers have long hair but I digress.
Ran the BCOA pheasant derby with some friends and hunted with a good friend and his great yellow Candi. Mid day someone shot a rooster that came down and disappeared in some cover. We worked the buffalo berry patch we had last seen the bird on the east side for 10 minutes and the dogs were not even acting hot.
With so many dogs and handlers we concentrated on picking up this bird we knew was hit. Preparing to give up the owner asked where Candi was and none of us had seen her in a while but all the other dogs were accounted for. We called and called and called and normally she would respond. One of he guys thought he saw movement 10 feet into the buffalo berry patch and waded in.
Candi was tangled in the brush with the partially slipped vest around her lower legs/feet so she could not go forward or back out. the guy waded in picked her up and was about to carry her out after freeing the vest when he noticed she had a live pheasant in her mouth so could not bark to let us know where she was. We just got back from Taber tonight, Candi no longer wears a vest.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
that is a yellow lab recognized by ckc, golden retrievers have long hair but I digress.
Ran the BCOA pheasant derby with some friends and hunted with a good friend and his great yellow Candi. Mid day someone shot a rooster that came down and disappeared in some cover. We worked the buffalo berry patch we had last seen the bird on the east side for 10 minutes and the dogs were not even acting hot.
With so many dogs and handlers we concentrated on picking up this bird we knew was hit. Preparing to give up the owner asked where Candi was and none of us had seen her in a while but all the other dogs were accounted for. We called and called and called and normally she would respond. One of he guys thought he saw movement 10 feet into the buffalo berry patch and waded in.
Candi was tangled in the brush with the partially slipped vest around her lower legs/feet so she could not go forward or back out. the guy waded in picked her up and was about to carry her out after freeing the vest when he noticed she had a live pheasant in her mouth so could not bark to let us know where she was. We just got back from Taber tonight, Candi no longer wears a vest.
I was wondering how long it would take to get a hit on the "golden lab / yellow lab" thing. My dog's ma was a golden retriever and his pa was a black lab - hence "Golden lab", lol. "The Golden Labrador is a mix of the Golden Retriever and the Labrador Retriever also known as a Golden Lab, Golden Labrador Retriever, Goldador and Goldador Retriever.".....and he still wears a vest for pheasant.

Last edited by fingershooter; 10-22-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Finger; try spraying the sensitive spots that the burrs love with Pam or a similar product. I use that method when hunting area where the dreaded little round red ball burrs are. The burrs comb out much easier and I end up with less scissoring out of burrs to do.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Finger; try spraying the sensitive spots that the burrs love with Pam or a similar product. I use that method when hunting area where the dreaded little round red ball burrs are. The burrs comb out much easier and I end up with less scissoring out of burrs to do.
Thanks, O&G. Mink oil does the same but Pam would be much cheaper. I don't have to cut any more. Used to be a horror story with my golden retriever. Used to spend hours trying to avoid cutting.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
I also have a "manly dog" - a 95 lb golden lab - and I have a chest protector on him to save his hide. A day or two chasing pheasant in cactus, roses, thistles and thorns in general, and without the vest he's a bleeding mass of cuts and bald spots. No one and/or no beast needs to go through that. Bad enough the beating his legs and feet take. Some custom tailoring and there is no chafing. I do agree with the petroleum jelly or such for long haired dogs as the thorns don't catch as bad and the burrs are easier to remove. Petroleum jelly is a pain to wash out (for us non-manly men) and so I use mink oil conditioner. Mink oil, petroleum jelly, spray bandage, bandage wraps, super glue, and a steel comb and tweezers for cacti are mandatory in my pack. I've never had any issues pursuing grouse
and don't subject him to wearing a vest.
X' s two I have found this much superior, to the one Wholesale Sports sells. mine doesn't chaffe my dog.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I didn't realize there would be so many different variables to consider. Thanks for all the great info.