Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
That story is similar to mine actually. No real dad around but a handful of uncles and my grandpa. Got my love of fishing from one uncle an hunting from another one, was also very close to my grandma aswell.

Don't start me on calling random people auntie or uncle tha bothers me 1000 times more than hubby, I have 2 nieces and when their mother would call the neighbour or friend uncle I'm sure you could hear my teeth grinding from 2 blocks away.
Heck I wouldn't worry about it to much Uncle Ali.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 PM

My daughter cried for the first two years. As a result neither my wife or slept. One day I dozed off at lunch time on the sofa for a second...long enough to here someone say:" Ugh, I'm so tierd too. My cats kept me up all night!" I chuckled. Anyone who has children understands what crossed my mind...
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Heck I wouldn't worry about it to much Uncle Ali.
Thanks niece huntsfurfish.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks niece huntsfurfish.
Zing!!!!!!! Lol.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
thanks niece huntsfurfish.
lol

Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 PM

I think you misspelled nice.lol

Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 AM

Default Tune out/Married Twice

Quote:
When someone talks about their nephew's or niece's like they are their kids, or that they know what it's like being a parent because of their nephew or niece and the few times they have babysit them ? I have kids and niece's on my side and nephews on my wife's side and let me tell you it's not the same.

While I'm on my pet peeve thread does it bother anybody else when someone is not married and refers to their significant other as their "hubby" or "wife" ? It sure does to me considering I am married and it cost a lot of money.
I only worry about what I can't tune out. I worry very little!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Sometimes it would be nice to be able to choose your family.
Some of us have chosen family.
My son has a couple of aunties........
Just as I am auntie to a few children......
They know they can come to me at any time with issues.

We have 2 little girls at daycare that I do stuff with and for as my son has become a good friend with them....... I have also become friends with their parents and the kids call me their Other mommy. The parents have no issue with it. The parents do stuff with Stinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I concur... wow.
Seriously, some people just look for things to be PO'd about.
In many communities/cultures EVERYONE that is in the same generation is your Brother or Sister, EVERYONE that is your parent's age is your Uncle or Aunt.
I have better things to do and worry about than what OTHER PEOPLE DO.
Here's a question for you:
Just found out (like 5 minutes ago) that my youngest daughter (step daughter actually... am I allowed to call her my daughter?) is pregnant. According to my wife and friends, I am soon to be a Grandpa.
Am I allowed to be called "Grandpa"? (please say no so I can show my wife and all my friends, thereby avoiding a mid-life crisis)
Geez, some people's kids..
Yes you are right about certain cultures........... man I love life in Hawaii.
Congrats grandpa!! Now your really going to have some fun, or so the grandparents tell us parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Never had kids of my own, haven't grown up yet I guess. I don't have any blood nephews or neices either.

The first time a child asked me if she could call me uncle, it set me back on my arse - I asked her parents if they put her up to it, no. Sometimes it's the childs choice, they see a relationship differently I guess, shows trust.
Yes it does show trust. Kids are very perceptive. They can tell when an adult is one they can turn to and trust or not.

Last edited by FishingMOM; 11-21-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Some of us have chosen family.
My son has a couple of aunties........
Just as I am auntie to a few children......
They know they can come to me at any time with issues.

We have 2 little girls at daycare that I do stuff with and for as my son has become a good friend with them....... I have also become friends with their parents and the kids call me their Other mommy. The parents have no issue with it. The parents do stuff with Stinky.
Wutdafuq?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Default It is a special thing...

Quote:
My kids will never call anybody besides my brother or sister or my wife's sister auntie or uncle. It's supposed to be a special thing.
I am "uncle" to at least two of my best friends kids. It is special when someone can respect and appreciate you as much as if you were related by blood, but you are not. So far as I'm concerned, their fathers are my brothers. I didn't get any brothers by blood, so I found my own and built that relationship over the past 30+ years! When those kids are looking for a parent, and their mom or dad isn't present or immediately available, the have come to me for comfort, a hug or a kind word. I may also give them a kick in the pants from time to time. They would expect nothing less.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 AM

Default It's OK

You,ll get use to it , the world of AO is all encompassing , we are open
And universal. We have evolved .....

I agree with Dad , expanding a child's support system is good for them .
Makes t hem a little more well rounded . I have brothers from a different
Mother.....and their off springs are special people to me . I am not to hung
Up on labels.....

Last edited by Winch101; 11-21-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerAssassin View Post
Wutdafuq?
Stinky is what FM calls her son.

You need to keep up here man!
So much inside information.

When I started dating my woman years ago, there was a suggestion put out there that we should refer to her as auntie, to my daughter.
Well how odd would that be?
Dad has auntie over all the time. Dad and auntie like to kiss, dad and auntie like to.....
Yep. That would work its way around the daycare and school.
Ss would be showing up in no time. Lol
Or some talk show host.

No, honesty is the best even for the little ones.
No dream world or mixed up children that way.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerAssassin View Post
Wutdafuq?
lmao!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM

I helped raise lots of good kids and knew it all about child raising as a friend/uncle etc.

Until I had my own...

As for pets being considered children... give me a break! That always gets an eye roll from me.

If a dog is stolen it is called theft...a property crime...

Children... a whole different other world of hurt
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi07 View Post
Ok so we call our pets our kids and I find nothing wrong with that as, we treat them like our kids with four legs. Having a animal you love and care about isn't the same as having kids but its very similar. You clean up after them, you have to feed them, play with them, let them interact with the public. The only difference is what that animal means to the person. My aunts have dogs because they have kids who want them, mom and dad have dogs because mom misses us girls being at home. She has more toys and crap for them then the old dogs we had grlwing growing up. Our two have a toy bin, 3 dog beds, 2 kennels, a large dog run 23 feet by 23 feet when we are done but yet they sleep in our room, sleep on the couch, have the run of the yard and house.

I am also auntie kimmi to two wonderful little boys who I would lay my life on the line for. I met my friend in grade 3 and am still friends over 20 years later. She will be auntie to my kids. Not all friends we meet get the title of auntie or uncle, but the life long ones, yup they sure do. I live 3 houses away from my aunt, who I told never to step foot on my yard again. According to her, only people who believe in the bible "deserve" to be married, if kids are not put in Catholic school they are being deprived of a religion. Well I call my man, hubby, he calls me his wife. We have been together for 3.5 years and we own a house together. I am not going anywhere and when we get married its just the final paper to a act that we already play. Everyone is different in what pet peeves they have so if these ones bug people then thats fine. I have one that bugs me and its to do with religion. I hate bible pushers, who after they find out that your a nonbeliever, still push it on you or like my aunt say "you dont deserve" things because you do not believe in god. I dont go around telling people that god is silly or not to believe so I just like the same respect back.
The BOLD statement above is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read......thank you for the laugh this afternoon.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
The BOLD statement above is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read......thank you for the laugh this afternoon.
?????? Poster said its.......similar. Do you not feed, play with, teach, and generally look after pets as well? I dont see the ridiculousness of her statement.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
?????? Poster said its.......similar. Do you not feed, play with, teach, and generally look after pets as well? I dont see the ridiculousness of her statement.
Personifying animals is ridiculous.....unless you're under the age of 11

If you honestly think that careing for a dog is "similar" to catering for a child.....I feel bad fr your kids....no offense of course
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Personifying animals is ridiculous.....unless you're under the age of 11

If you honestly think that careing for a dog is "similar" to catering for a child.....I feel bad fr your kids....no offense of course
I would think the poster knows the diff between relating to kids and pets and was just pointing out the "general" similaritys of the two. Your taking it too literal.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I would think the poster knows the diff between relating to kids and pets and was just pointing out the "general" similaritys of the two. Your taking it too literal.
Similar means similar the poster said they are similar.

I have had dogs most of my life and I'm a dog lover no question, but now that I have children I can tell anybody that's like the poster that it's not similar, A child is a different ball game all together, I don't worry about what my dogs are going to grow up to be, or put money aside for their education etc.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I have had dogs most of my life and I'm a dog lover no question, but now that I have children I can tell anybody that's like the poster that it's not similar, A child is a different ball game all together, I don't worry about what my dogs are going to grow up to be, or put money aside for their education etc.
Do you feed a pet? Do you play with fido? When a kid/pet is injured, do we not take them to see doc/vet? Nobody said they are the exact same. They are saying there is some similaritys....... I posted a few so you and Dakota can wrap your heads around. There are many more similaritys as well.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM

I get more annoyed by people who treat kids like pets....

LC
Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:

X2 glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.....
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM

I hate 30sec poops with 10 min wipes!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:

X2
Old 11-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I hate 30sec poops with 10 min wipes!!!
You may want to talk to your dr about that.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM

He could be trying to hard.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
He could be trying to hard.
True.