Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Default newbie questions

this may seem like dumb questions but im new to the game. went to lane archery in lethbridge....man what a wonderful place and what amazing customer service. it was an older ladie by the sounds of it she owned the store im guessing. anyways she gave me lots of pointers on bow hunting, and help set up my bow for next to nothing ( i did make a couple purchases tho)
she sold me some arrows but she was in a rush and i was one of those last 15 minute customers.
first question
how do i size my arrows to fit my bows

how do i keep the tips in?

and what way is the one oposed color feather supposed to be? away from the bow or toward the bow

any help would be apprieciated
Old 11-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
this may seem like dumb questions but im new to the game. went to lane archery in lethbridge....man what a wonderful place and what amazing customer service. it was an older ladie by the sounds of it she owned the store im guessing. anyways she gave me lots of pointers on bow hunting, and help set up my bow for next to nothing ( i did make a couple purchases tho)
she sold me some arrows but she was in a rush and i was one of those last 15 minute customers.
first question
how do i size my arrows to fit my bows

how do i keep the tips in?

and what way is the one oposed color feather supposed to be? away from the bow or toward the bow

any help would be apprieciated
Arrows- they need to be sized to your draw length (or that of the bow- hopefully they are the same), cam design, and the draw weight. There are charts to help you get the correct spline. Like this one:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...STONARROWCHART

The inserts are glued in- method depends what type of arrows you are using.

The odd colored feather/fletching goes down or away from your bow- depending on the type of rest you are using.

Here's another link describing arrow preparation.
http://handbook.jousiammuntaseura-arcus.com/nuolet.htm

I suggest you go to a pro shop like Calgary Archery Center and/or hook up with someone that has some experience to set you up right. You'll get a lot more out of that and they'll show you the SAFE way to do things.
http://calgaryarcherycentre.com

Good luck!!

Last edited by Douglas N; 11-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.