Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Default open country archery

This is my first season of attmepting to bow hunt the open prairie country for mulies. I'm finding the experience exhilarating / frustrating / tiring / addicting (and many other adjectives!). The area I'm hunting holds decent numbers of deer and I've narrowed the "object of my affection" down to two specific bucks. The one I've had at 71 yards 64yards and most recently with in 30 yards. A rogue wind and an unseen deer busted my chances. I've tried to make my girlish 316 lb frame look like a sage bush on roids / crawled at a snails pace for hrs to try and get close / looked through the spotting scope trying to find my bedded prize until my eyes are ready to fall out the handful of times I've been able to get out and have yet to fling and arrow and to be honest I can't wait to try it again. I could have shot at either of the bucks the other day with my Muzzle loader (legally it opened on the 15th) but have decided that the smokepole option will wait until the general season. I probably run the risk of never harvesting either of these bucks but this is the first time I've ever targeted a specific buck or two and have enjoyed the ride. Neither are record book animals but they both have unique characteristics that I find endearing. One has a long non-forking G-2 the other has a palmated G2 but weak fronts with each bucks ditinguishing antlers being on opposite sides. I don't know if my work / home schedule will permit any more attempts but I've had a great season regardless.

Does anyone else find the open country bowhunting addicting?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 PM

VERY addicting....easily my favorite type of hunting for big mule deer.......

The one thing I've learnt is patience is key and wind is your friend.....a strong wind that covers up some noise and allows you to get close is important......

Keep at it man...sounds like you are very dedicated with the hunt and I know it will pay off for ya!!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Gone Hunting

You said it Rack. Just be keen out there Cowboy, play it safe ALWAYS. If you have to back out of a stalk or a situation dont get frustrated. You may have to back out of 30 stalks before the right things come to into play. Just remember, those stalks werent blown stalks, they are smart plays. Chalk them up as successes!!!!! You will know the blown stalks, it will take a he!! of a long time to get your buck back in the optics, you will have lots of time to think about what a blown stalk is..... And dont forget anything you learn while playin the game in tight!! Experience can be all you have going for you sometimes, use the positives and negatives as ammunition for future stalks.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 PM

I just love the challenge of bowhunting muleys.This will be year four and have only got one so far. As said before sometimes you have to back out,but you will know when you've blown a stalk.And sometimes the just go where you can't follow.No matter how often I get out ,it never seems to be enough!!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 PM

Awesome story...you should submit your story to a magazine. I just dusted off my bow and am going to get back into it again. I have never hunted mulies...just MB white tails. I am looking forward to getting out. Just need to get some info as to where to go as I moved to Alberta 2 years ago and haven't hooked up with any other hunters yet. All of my hunting partners are back in Manitoba. Good luck to you in the future.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Default MB

Wherabouts in MB?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 PM

It's a blast hunting mule deer on the prairies with a bow.I've been hunting 210 a lot this season,have one particular buck I've been after.He's given me the slip five times and I finally got a shot at him a week ago.Caught him moving up a draw along a barb wire fence with two other bucks.I estimated him at 40 yards and drew without being noticed and let her fly.The arrow was flying true and I was already smiling when I hear a metallic twang and see my arrow deflect almost straight up.I couldn't believe it but I knew the arrow hit the third strand of wire.The bucks wasted no time in high tailing it out of there and left me laughing at myself.

I've sure learned a lot this season trying to pattern these deer and when I think I've got them figured out they change their tactics.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonburrows View Post
Wherabouts in MB?
From Langruth, Manitoba...real small town near Portage la Prairie.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Default open country

agreed boys open country mulies with the bow is also my fav, good advice from packhuntr and rackmastr, heres a little more, even if you can get into range sometimes the situation is not favorable for the shot, this year i got into 30 yards of a big buck, i could have taken the shot, but there was a cross wind and the shot was not to my liking, i left that night with him bedded in some willows, the next morning i shot him from same spot with no crosswind. bow hunting is all about adapting to the situation, and believe me i have had my fair share of disappoints! thats what makes it so addicting.