Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Default Opinions on best bow for 3d shooting.

I am looking to buy a new bow for 3d shooting only.I am looking for opinions

on bows,sights and arrows.I currently have 2 mathews bows,The dxt and

switchback.I realy like the mathews handle how it fits in my hand but am

considering something different.I want something with more speed. Something

that is putting them out at 330 or better with great accuracy.Is that possible

and who is the best person to talk to as well as order one.Money is not a

object.I want the best bow out there rigged up with the best sight and rest.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM

give corey a call at jodi lee archery in lloyd he will help you out and send what you need to you
306-825-4102 he handles lots of diff bows
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Just so you know, bows are rated @ 30" d/l and as 'rule of thumb' lose 10 fps per inch of draw length. Also, keep in mind, the faster the bow is rated, the harder it will be to shoot.

Back in 3D's hay day in Alberta, most of the top archers were running around 290 fps even though there were a good number of bows capable of 320+ at the time.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Just so you know, bows are rated @ 30" d/l and as 'rule of thumb' lose 10 fps per inch of draw length. Also, keep in mind, the faster the bow is rated, the harder it will be to shoot.

Back in 3D's hay day in Alberta, most of the top archers were running around 290 fps even though there were a good number of bows capable of 320+ at the time.
Definatly something to think about,My dxt is putting them out at 307 and i am happy with that but my buddy is putting them out at 336 and you can see
a considerable difference.He basically is elliminating one pin.I want speed but i also want a forgiving bow.Mabey my dxt is the way to go.It is so dead in the hand.I have had 4 matthews now and this one by far is the sweetest shooting out of all of them.Just wanted to rig a bow up strickly for 3d shooting and one that was faster.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM

If your used to shooting a Matthews, I'd stick with it, but it never hurts to go and try a bunch of different makes to see if you can find something that fits you better. Go out and see Jim at Pipestone Creek, he's got the APA bows out there, and the Black Mamba is among the fastest at around 350fps. Or run down to Calgary and try some of the Bowtech lineup at Jim Bows.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:26 PM

I shoot a Bowtech 101st but if you want a little more speed try the 82nd. It is rated at 340 and it will do better than that. They are a longer axle to axle bow and hold and shoot very well. I wouldn't trade mine for anything!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Banned

My vote is for Bowtech. Top notch. Any of them are great. I shoot a Guardian for 3D and have the same bow in camo for hunting. They have some that are longer axle to axel that will definately give you more speed, but the optimum speed is around 296 to 300fps.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech's#1 View Post
I shoot a Bowtech 101st but if you want a little more speed try the 82nd. It is rated at 340 and it will do better than that. They are a longer axle to axle bow and hold and shoot very well. I wouldn't trade mine for anything!
I heard both of them bows have bad cam lean.Do you notice any with yours
or is the guy that told me just waisting air?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM

I know that I have said it before but Pat and John at Red Deer Archery Center in Red Deer (403)343-1153 know their bows inside and out, set them up, will make recommendations for what is best and let you try bows out to see what works best for you.

When I need anything archery related, there is no need to go anywhere else! Their service is second to none.

Marco
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 AM

I have not seen any cam lean and the two other people I know both use their 82nds for a lot more 3-D than I do and they have no complaints with thiers. Bowtech has the Centertrack Binary cam that is supposed to prevent timing and lean problems. Top of the line bows!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

I have never seen any cam lean and see lots of Bowtechs at 3D shoots. I would say someone is blowing some smoke.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Default Centertrack cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech's#1 View Post
I have not seen any cam lean and the two other people I know both use their 82nds for a lot more 3-D than I do and they have no complaints with thiers. Bowtech has the Centertrack Binary cam that is supposed to prevent timing and lean problems. Top of the line bows!
I believe that cam setup is only available on the Guardian and General. As far as the 82 and 101 they sometimes have some cam lean, but doesn't seem to hurt their preformance. They are definity shooters.

Last edited by wctbowtech; 09-25-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM

I've had a crush on the High Country "Iron Mace" bow for awhile IBO 340.. here is a link to the bows review from bowhunting.net. Apparently High country has some special arrow for it to shoot in the 380 to 390fps. worth looking at.. I've seen pics of this bow in target form and she is sweet looking. I'm not an expert or anything and have never shot 3-D yet but maybe someday.. lots of choice and alot of great bows.. just seems everyone has a Bowtech or a Mathews

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...ron_Mace.shtml
Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 AM

Default For sale soon..

Mathews Apex 7

BEST PURE 3D Bow ever!

new sponsership forces me to sell..