Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Broadheads

Hey guys I'm new to the archery/bowhunting scene I got a PSE Stinger and all the gear and have been shooting twice a week and getting fairly good with it.So I am already thinking about bow season next year and am looking into what types of broadheads work best.I really like the look of the grimreapers anybody useing these? Let me know what you guys think
Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Get your bow tuned and shooting straight with field points, then try a few different broadheads to see which ones do not require sight, nock or rest adjustments - go with those.

All SHARP broadheads are good if you hit them in the right spot
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Here , like Big rack says shoot the field points for a week or more and get use to it , and then for Broadheads , Ill give you what I use , For fixed broadheads use the Thundersticks , and Muzzie for mechanical broadheads . Both are very effective , Just be careful with the Thundersticks you have to put the blades into the shots and there friggen very very sharp . There amazing , they cut with the least amount of effort . I was in you perdiciment about 2 months ago , and well I got some input from 4 or 5 bow shooters that I respect and trust and wel this is what they got me into . I suggest you try the same . 100 gr.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:51 PM

it depends on what draw weight you are shooting also if you are shooting a low poundage bow you do not want to be shooting mechanicals. if you can I would suggest trying a cut on contact like the G5 montecs I shot one doe this year that took a step at the shot and the arrow went right through the off shoulder and laid on the ground 4 feet past where she was standing. I was shooting 60lbs and a 385gr arrow.

You will have to try diff ones to see what works for you. If you are having probs with broadheads flying all over the place chances are your bow is not properly tuned and just needs to be tweaked a little
all the best and good luck. So far this year my montecs have put 4 animals on the ground and no probs with penetration and damage from the cutting action
Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

If you are lost on which broadheads to try first, I have never heard a bad thing about Montecs - try those.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 PM

bigbore,I've been using Grim Reapers for three seasons now and have no complaints.As mentioned earlier you need to be drawing at least 65# draw weight,IMHO, to get the kinetic energy required for shooting a mechanical broad head.My longest shot to date was 40 yards on a mule deer and I got a complete pass thru,the BH clipped a rib on the way in and thru a rib on the way out,The BH stayed together,I had no doubt that it wouldn't and if I sharpened it up I'd use it again.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm shooting 100grn Muzzie 3 blades with Easton Axis St arrows out of a 60#bow and they shoot identical to my feild points.
Shot a doe this past weekend at 27 yards and it went through her like she was made of paper, then embeded into a tree.