Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 11:40 PM

Default Cutties?

I’ve caught every game species of Albertas fishes, and many non game species, but have yet to get two. A golden trout and a cutthroat. Where would you suggest would be a good spot to maybe have a chance at a cuttie in Alberta? Would be using a fly rod. Might have a spinning rod if needed. I’m thinking maybe the North Ram River, but don’t have any experiance with cutthroats. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:47 PM

Cutties are in many rivers out west, to be honest they are easier than a lot of fish to catch and a lot of fun imho, they love dry flies. Also lots of alpine lakes to hike into that have them, be prepared to be addicted, they are one of my favourite fish to go for.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 AM

N Ram has some nice cutties in it but gets hit hard most times so they are a little wiser then other streams. still a good place to try as lots of good access and pools. might just have to hike a bit to find a open stretch especially on weekends and during summer.
most of the rivers and tribs in the ram drainage have cutties in them so you can explore a lot of these rivers also as some of them are not as hard hit as the N Ram. South Ram and its tribs upstream of falls has always been good to me.
also most of the bigger rivers north of Hwy 11 and Nordegg have cutties in them just have to hike a bit as access is not as good as N Ram. i like the Bigstone and Blackstone rivers.
lots of good cuttie streams around, just have to find that nice pool or stretch with them stacked up. i have most luck on dry flies like stimulators, elk hair caddis, bwo. they are not overly picky but matching the hatch goes a long way.

good luck
Mike
Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM

Default Cutties

Thanks guys for that info. Tight lines!