Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Banned

Default Where to Buy Snares & Extensions?

I need about 5 dozen more coyote snares and about 10 dozen extensions. I could do what I need to do myself except I don't own a bench swagger. I vaguely recall a thread discussing using a hammer and an anvil to close the ferrules. Will that method work okay?

If I do decide to buy pre-made snares, is there somewhere cheaper than Halford's that makes them......Maybe someone working out of his garage or something like that?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM

I get all my snares and a lot of other stuff from the Snareshop. They made 12 dozen for me last year. Got 15 dozen I pick up next week in Montana when I am down there. Price is good. Next year I will just make my own with all the parts I will have. The snares I have made in the past I use a hammer on the concrete floor and it worked fine as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 PM

Check out Marty Senneker. I bought some snare parts from him and found them to be cheaper than halfords but I am not sure on shipping from Hayes AB to the north. Check the prices.
http://www.martysenneker.com
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Hammer and an anvil work just fine.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 PM

Dakotalinesnares.com .. Best prices and fast service .Ask for Kris . I like to buy Canadian , but these guys are probably half price ..Don't think anyone can afford Halfords.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 AM

X2 for the snare shop Dave They will build them however you want, if u call them ask for jeromy he will work out prices for you
Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
X2 for the snare shop Dave They will build them however you want, if u call them ask for jeromy he will work out prices for you
I added 2 feet to my snares this year and they didn't charge me for them. I have heard they are pretty good about that kind of thing. I got mine built to my specs as well so that was nice.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 AM
Banned

I'm looking at both The Snare Shop and Dakota Line websites right now. The prices are fantastic! I think that I'm going to go with all of the bells and whistles at those prices.

I'm looking at this one but doesn't the cable size have to be minimum 5/64" for yotes here in Alberta? (Gotta check my manual)

http://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SNARE400
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM

PM me for a number of a person who custom makes snares in Alberta
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM

I tried a dozen of them and did not like them. First one I caught chewed it off. If you do use them then use a long extension which I didn't have. Personally Dave , I had them make mine this year. I went with 8 feet of 5/64 1x19 Camlock with teeth, Wammy and just a loop at the end with no swivel. They are cheap and they work great. My solve snares are the same but went with 3/32 and 10 feet long.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
PM me for a number of a person who custom makes snares in Alberta
I would like to keep my money local but there is no way anyone can compete with the snare shop, you can't build your own cheaper
Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Thank you all that replied to this thread and via PM for all of the advice/info.

I think that I'm going to order these snares in 5/64" from The Snare Shop. I'll price out making my own extentions vs buying them pre-made from these fellas as well. I recently saw similar snares selling for $6 each so 10 dozen snares at $29/dozen (plus shipping and maybe Customs) is pretty hard to beat.

6' of 1x19 1/16" Galvanized Aircraft Cable
Universal Support Collar
Cam-Lock
280# BAW S-Hook
Quick Kill Dispatch Spring
Adjustable Loop End

Any advice on this purchase before I pull the trigger?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thank you all that replied to this thread and via PM for all of the advice/info.

I think that I'm going to order these snares in 5/64" from The Snare Shop. I'll price out making my own extentions vs buying them pre-made from these fellas as well. I recently saw similar snares selling for $6 each so 10 dozen snares at $29/dozen (plus shipping and maybe Customs) is pretty hard to beat.

6' of 1x19 1/16" Galvanized Aircraft Cable
Universal Support Collar
Cam-Lock
280# BAW S-Hook
Quick Kill Dispatch Spring
Adjustable Loop End

Any advice on this purchase before I pull the trigger?
Only thing that i have heard is that Senneker springs are better ,I'm going that way on mine .
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Only thing that i have heard is that Senneker springs are better ,I'm going that way on mine .
I think that I'll give them a call and get a quote on custom made snares and see what they quote me. I'm already going to change the cable size so maybe putting different cam locks and springs is something that I want to look at. Maybe I'll just give them the same specs for the snares that you got made, H380. You obviously researched and knew what you wanted so they ought to work for me as well.

Do I need that 280# BAW S-Hook in there?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM

Had to look up what I bought but here is my price quote from them and what my snares are Dave.

As for the extensions I just collect old used snares that I can get some decent length from and with a couple crimps can make my own easy enough and cost next to nothing.
Here is the quote I got and what I paid for mine.

The cost would be $16.50 per dozen if you order 10 dozen or more. Below are the specs that the snare would be made off of, if anything changes the price may also change.

8ft 1x19 5/64" Cable
Cam Lock with Teeth - We do not have any Lightning locks in stock.
Universal Support Collar
Adjustable Loop end
Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Default bad

It is critical to use a breakaway!!! If I did not use them I would catch several deer per year. With the exception of a yearling last year, they have opened as intended. I have only ever lost 1 coyote due to the breakaway. When obtaining permission to trap I show the farmer/rancher the snare and how it works. They are always impressed with the breakaway and how it would release any livestock. There's no doubt I have received permission because of the breakaway when the landowner was reluctant to permit trapping. I know of 1 individual who routinely catches and kills over 10 deer every year because he does not use breakaways...criminal IMO! I use the Senneker 265lb breakaways.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM

I also use the S break always I set snares in a pasture with cow and new born calves only because of the breakaway. Then the farmer agreed. I would not want to have that incidental catch conversation with a fish cop. Especially on my 10th deer of the year.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
It is critical to use a breakaway!!! If I did not use them I would catch several deer per year. With the exception of a yearling last year, they have opened as intended. I have only ever lost 1 coyote due to the breakaway. When obtaining permission to trap I show the farmer/rancher the snare and how it works. They are always impressed with the breakaway and how it would release any livestock. There's no doubt I have received permission because of the breakaway when the landowner was reluctant to permit trapping. I know of 1 individual who routinely catches and kills over 10 deer every year because he does not use breakaways...criminal IMO! I use the Senneker 265lb breakaways.
x2 I also use 265 LB breakaway,modified cam locks,whammy,replacement snares are 5' long on a 7 ' extension,swivel on one end, had a large coyote pop breakaway last season,only issue.Peter