Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 09:53 AM

Default Fishing high/dirty rivers

I usually try and wait for good conditions to make my days on the water count but recently watched some videos and read a bit about fishing in dirty water and how productive it can be. Thinking it might be worth it to try since we seem to get our share of high water.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on how they change their approach for dirty water. I try and avoid nymphing all together but realize this may be the time to do it.

Also, what experience do you guys have with very low visibility in the water but fish seeming to see just fine?

Are you less concerned about fishing right on the bottom? Are you fishing closer to shore? That type of stuff.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:08 AM

For those that are proficient at murk water fishing these times can be some of the best of the season.

Fish tight to the banks, as in cast up stream and drift back towards yourself right on the edge, not feet from the edge but right on it.

you will lose gear

use big flies that move water, with low visibility fish rely on their lateral line to feel prey items in the water, you want to mimic those.
Big crane larva, big stones, big earth worms all will elicit a strike.

Myself I would be inclined to fish shiner and chub patterns on a full sink right, behind 18" of 25lb flouro.

Fish have to be evolutionarily prepared for periods of high flow and no visibility or they wouldn't be here now.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Seems to me that in turbid waters, fish are hungry and bite readily. A bit of flash helps them hone in. Tinsel, white or yellow yarn, shiny bead head. As the water clears, reduce the shine...
Old 06-12-2020, 01:45 PM

Tight to the banks with yuk bugs , bitch creeks anything weighted with legs.... ie think ...... stoneflies ...... fish are looking to get out of the current ...... on the bank or on the bottom ......
Old 06-12-2020, 02:59 PM

Listen to Jay!

He's got the skills and experience to land monsters in high dirty water!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
For those that are proficient at murk water fishing these times can be some of the best of the season.

Fish tight to the banks, as in cast up stream and drift back towards yourself right on the edge, not feet from the edge but right on it.

you will lose gear

use big flies that move water, with low visibility fish rely on their lateral line to feel prey items in the water, you want to mimic those.
Big crane larva, big stones, big earth worms all will elicit a strike.

Myself I would be inclined to fish shiner and chub patterns on a full sink right, behind 18" of 25lb flouro.

Fish have to be evolutionarily prepared for periods of high flow and no visibility or they wouldn't be here now.

-Confucius
Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Like everyone's suggested right along the bank in eddies but I've had luck in the past fishing biggest san juan worms I could find.