Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Default Taber Pheasant Festival

Thanks Taber .... great job...our group enjoyed the week...the sites
were excellent and the birds were challenging...see you next year.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Agreed, our group enjoyed Taber, good job Taber and ACA.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:44 PM

I was a fill in on Friday. our group managed 7 birds. Mike and his GSP were fantastic. The weather was summer like and the hunting buddies were also awesome.
I had a great time, thanks to my friend David for inviting me along.
Excellent work by all involved. Phil.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:03 PM

Thanks Taber for a great event. The best time with friends Julian, Connor and Corey.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:58 PM

I was a fill in on Saturday. We only saw 4 pheasants and took 2. We walked a lot and the place should be be a good habitat for pheasants. Actually I thought it would be more pheasants there. But any way, thanks Taber and ACA
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 PM

Thanks Taber for hosting this event. We were there last week and enjoyed ourselves immensely. For some sites having a good dog made the difference in the number of birds seen by the hunters.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM

Default Taber Pheasant Festival

We hunted Tuesday morning east of Grassy Lake and the four men and three fine little hunting dogs saw four or five pheasants in total and got two birds, I grew up only a few miles south of there and am very familiar with the area. Back in the pheasant hunting prime years there were no pheasants in that area so I reckon four is a great improvement.

We had lunch at the Dew Drop Inn in Grassy Lake and I ordered their perogies and apple pie with soft ice cream. The meal was about like the pheasant hunting that morning.

Wednesday morning we hunted a gorgeous spot a bit south west of Vauxhall. We walked our legs off but only saw two birds. My two buddies should have gunned the one bird but safety concerns stopped the shooting initially and then the timing was gone and that bird was too ... The second bird may or may not have been the same one. I actually made a phone call and was told that 60 birds had been released so far there ... I have no idea where they were. The pooches were not 'birdie' more than once or twice. So we were skunked. I could not have been more surprised.

We had lunch at the Bakery in Vauxhall and the cheese burger and the fries were great ! Fair price. The $1.75 glazed donut was not purchased.

Thursday morning we hunted a property east of Enchant adjacent to Lost Lake. We found roosters here. I lost one that went down in cattails and I waded out to mid thigh depth. I looked for 5 or 10 minutes but got so darn cold that I had to finally quit. I felt bad about that but that water was ICY! I probably should have looked a bit further to the west but if the water had gotten deeper .. not good. I never dreamed it was even there.

I shot rather poorly but a couple of cackling pheasants were lucky. We got four roosters there and should have had one or two more ... I was happy with that site. Big and great area.

We went into Enchant for lunch. We had once had a rather poor meal there but were looking forward to trying again. Sadly the Chinese restaurant is closed for a few weeks ...

This is a great event . Thank you Taber ... We also did the pheasant tasting and Scotch sipping on Monday night ..

I am not sure if I am going to try again next year. We did seven hard days of pheasant hunting so far this year but had better luck for wild roosters ..

Interesting ...

Good hunting, amigos !!!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Banned

I have never been to one of these Pheasant festivals, but it sure sounds like an enjoyable time.
Hats off to everyone who helped put this all together. I have heard that the town and surrounding area really puts out the red carpet and that every year more corporate sponsers become involved.
Would also like to thank the ACA staff and volunteers for all their great work, not just with this festival, but with all the programs they run.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 PM

finally got to go monday afternoon the dog found 5 roosters and 3 hens and a covey of huns .my partner and i came back with 3 roosters i went to the pheasant dinner on monday night .would go back if given the opportunity

thank you taber
Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM

I work in the area and I saw lots of birds outside the hunting areas. There will still be some good hunting.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:24 PM

Just want to add to the thanks for anyone from Taber reading thread. The whole event was run incredibly well and all the local businesses were very very supported that we visited. Was really impressive to see the support for the event actually as it was my first time.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwrkz View Post
Just want to add to the thanks for anyone from Taber reading thread. The whole event was run incredibly well and all the local businesses were very very supported that we visited. Was really impressive to see the support for the event actually as it was my first time.
I heard that wing Wed. was standing room only. Taber along with the rest of Alberta was affected by the slow down. I'm sure businesses appreciated everyone stopping in.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Tpf

Well we sure had a good time, morning hunts were just that hunting! Dogs did great, shooters turned into missers and cursers. Saw a few sharp tail but only singles ( I thought they were covey birds ). Lots of reports of porkies but none of our dogs got hit.
We were unable to make the dinner but I hope they made a few bucks on the flies I donated.

The only frustrating thing was seeing about 8 sets of breasted pheasants remains chucked on the adjacent section to one of our sites. Sure seemed like some guys just just like breasts

Grant