Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Banned

Default My Opinion on Carrying Handguns

This is my opinion. I’ve kept it to myself for years but today I’m gonna put it out there.

I do not want open or concealed carry in cities and or urban areas. Walking around town with your glock 22 or your S&W M&P 9mm is not required here in a Canada.

However, I would like to see open wilderness carry for handguns. Examples of this are backwoods camping, quad trips into the woods, hunting, etc. I’m sure you get my drift. I heard that people who run trap lines are now allowed to carry a handgun?

Like I said, my opinion.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
This is my opinion. I’ve kept it to myself for years but today I’m gonna put it out there.

I do not want open or concealed carry in cities and or urban areas. Walking around town with your glock 22 or your S&W M&P 9mm is not required here in a Canada.

However, I would like to see open wilderness carry for handguns. Examples of this are backwoods camping, quad trips into the woods, hunting, etc. I’m sure you get my drift. I heard that people who run trap lines are now allowed to carry a handgun?

Like I said, my opinion.

Your free to have your opinion.

I think some city folks have a higher risk walking down the street or to the local Safeway than some fly fishermen have hiking down a trail. Why should only the fly fishermen get to protect themselves?

My opinion.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 PM

100% Pro- concealed carry for this one.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:01 PM

100% agree with you but why anyone would carry a handgun in the bush vs any other far more effective and less of a pain in the arse weapon I.e. shotgun, is beyond me.

Handguns are basically useless. My 357 mag shoots a 158 bullet at 1400 fps. Big whup. I'd pack beer spray before I took it out as an animal deterrent.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
100% agree with you but why anyone would carry a handgun in the bush vs any other far more effective and less of a pain in the arse weapon I.e. shotgun, is beyond me.

Handguns are basically useless. My 357 mag shoots a 158 bullet at 1400 fps. Big whup. I'd pack beer spray before I took it out as an animal deterrent.
You choose not too I would like to have all options made available and ready to use from a handgun, shotty, bear spray and a hand grenade.....not in that order....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:

How is carrying a shotgun less of a pain? I do a little walking, and biking around on the backroads and trails and having long gun slung is more restrictive, and more uncomfortable. If I'm clearing trail, or cutting wood, that gun's probably leaned up a ways away.

I'd argue that the handgun riding a foot away from your hand, vs. the shotgun that you have to unsling, or have a foot race to get to is a better option.

As for power, Elmer Keith took a lot of big animals with a .357. Loaded at about 1300, I've shot through about 8" of wet poplar. If you want to compare that with a shotgun, the typical slugs, and buck that guys throw in there, aren't even close for penetration. I shot a green tree with a 20 gauge as a kid, and realized that the penetration with the slugs I had (probably hollow base) wasn't exactly outstanding, when I could push my finger part way into the tree, and feel the slug.

If you want some real world examples of effectiveness, an upstanding member on here defended himself with a .45 ACP against an 800 lb. sow grizzly. IIRC, he hit her 13 times, and 12 bullets exited. I have both; a .357, and 45 ACP, and the .357 will penetrate better, and likely can use a better shaped bullet than will feed in a .45 Auto.

I think it was about a year ago, that a fishing guide in Alaska killed a grizzly at about 6 feet with a compact, or sub compact 9mm. Think he hit it about 4 times chest and neck, all bullets went through, and it rolled over and died.

The 10 mm Glock is becoming a popular choice for guides in grizzly country. A guy on one of our Canadian forums carries one for his work, as well as the guide who died recently around Jackson Hole. He didn't have his pistol handy however, and the client took off, after he couldn't shoot it. Just read about another guy who used one in a pretty rough and tumble encounter when he was running his dogs. Also video of Ted Nugent dropping a wounded Cape Buffalo, that he was following up on with a 10 mm 1911.

As for spray, it's overhyped as the magic bullet for every encounter. Paid for advertising by the companies that make it. I'm almost positive that it will stop over 90% of bluff charges. Most of them are bluff charges. Maybe up to 90% When you look at that, without further investigation it looks pretty good. But a determined bear won't be stopped. A guy on HBC and Gunnutz got a black bear that wouldn't leave him alone. Sprayed it good about 1/2 dozen times, temporarily driving it back each time. After he ran out of spray, he had to shoot it. Keep in mind that LE are trained to fight through OC, and while bear spray is stronger, consider how much higher a bear's pain threshold and determination is. Just watched a video of a guy, high as a kite that was virtually unaffected by OC, and the cops hosed him down really good.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Exactly.. A Handgun is more than likely to aggravate an already bad situation than end it. Think of trying to stall a V-8 engine by grabbing a fan blade, then look at your puny handgun.
Being Bear Aware and Bear Spray have proven to be the odds- on best ways to go.. and even then they aren't 100% effective on a determined critter. Try and remember this.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Exactly.. A Handgun is more than likely to aggravate an already bad situation than end it. Think of trying to stall a V-8 engine by grabbing a fan blade, then look at your puny handgun.
Being Bear Aware and Bear Spray have proven to be the odds- on best ways to go.. and even then they aren't 100% effective on a determined critter. Try and remember this.
Defense against bear statistics.
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz60TGcEBT7

10mm vs. Cape Buffalo (1 of 3 for this guy I believe):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBVnquaLXM

Another Cape Buffalo finished off by a 10 mm. Go to about the 12 minute mark if you don't want to see the whole hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcTiIfBbJ_c

This guy's done a little handgun hunting. As far as many are concerned, he is the authority on what works on big game.
https://www.africahunting.com/attach...ith4-jpg.3802/

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Yup....just like a folder etc....don't have to advertise to the world.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup....just like a folder etc....don't have to advertise to the world.
*Like^
I have a thing with those that open carry. Open carry types always have another agenda for me.
An agenda involving Ego/readily wanting to draw their piece/wanting to display their
importance/power to all the other pedestrian's walking about/shopping..just my 100% immediate
judgement when I see a commoner brandishing his crap when sighted.
My respect level to those OC is always harshly & sharply downgraded.

Last edited by tri777; 08-17-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Wish we had the option to carry.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Yup
Old 08-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Banned

And yet when you walk around town you're passing people who carry every day. The difference is they don't own that gun legally.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
And yet when you walk around town you're passing people who carry every day. The difference is they don't own that gun legally.
Nope....they are registered and carried by outstanding citizens....

Very true....

Old 08-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yup
x2
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 PM

Does anybody have stats showing that “carry” has reduced crime or “wilderness” injuries?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
you’re (I mean) free to have your opinion.

I think some city folks have a higher risk walking down the street or to the local Safeway than some fly fishermen have hiking down a trail. Why should only the fly fishermen get to protect themselves?

My opinion.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Your free to have your opinion.

My opinion.
My thought as well.
Bear spray at a bear minimum should be allowed to be carried...everywhere.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 PM

We can't be trusted with pistols.
We're such children.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:53 AM

I’d be fine with it provided there was a stringent qualification process with lots of training and live fire range tests. We surely all know people that we’d not want carrying and we probably all know people that we’d be fine with having CCW.

At the very least it should be fine to defend ones home with any type of firearm.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I’d be fine with it provided there was a stringent qualification process with lots of training and live fire range tests. We surely all know people that we’d not want carrying and we probably all know people that we’d be fine with having CCW.

At the very least it should be fine to defend ones home with any type of firearm.
Aaaaaand that pretty much sums it up for me to.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:

100% agree. There should at least be an option for those that wish too carry to defend the lives of themselves and their family. I think this would actually reduce crime in the long run. I imagine most violent crimes would not be commited if there was the possibility anyone could pull a concealed firearm at any time in the legal defense of others. Our criminals have nothing to fear the way it is now.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:

Until there is an infallible litmus test for mental stability/instability I don't think people need to be carrying handguns in public. Too many things can go wrong. I'm not completely sure most LEOs should be packing either, when it seems like almost every day in the US, some cop guns down some unarmed (usually black) person.
There are just way too many guns in the US. And not enough gun control. Canada is just about right, IMO. The problem here is criminals, not guns.

Wilderness carry? Maybe... Sure. Why not.

Last edited by gunluvr; 08-25-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:

My opinion as well.

Grizz
Old 08-24-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post

Like I said, my opinion.
Completely Agree ! Backwoods - Rural - Wilderness ONLY Carry ! RJ