Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Rapalas twisting to the surface

So not sure if this is a thing. This is the first year I’ve fished with rapalas. I’ve been having issues and not sure how to fix it or if it’s normal. Every 10-20 casts (river fishing) the rapala seams to twist to the side and come to the surface and zig zag back and forth splashing away. I have been using original floaters, count downs, shadow raps, and x raps. They all do it. Is it just how they land some times or is it something I’m doing? I have tried tying them on with no. Slip loop knots and uni knots. I found the uni to do it less often. I’ve mainly been a fly fisherman and any time I spin fish it’s spoons or spinners. This year I decided I want to learnt more about spin fishing so I have been trying a lot more with the spin rod and still have a lot to learn
Old 08-10-2019, 09:29 AM

put a barrel swivel in
Old 08-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Some lures are prone to this at high speed.

Some of them may need to be "tuned" as well. If the attachment point or hooks are bent it can throw action off. Usually if that is the case it should be more consistent though(not 1 in 10/20).

You can try a swivel snap which might help too.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:24 AM

The fact it is a random issue it could be as simple as a hook got hung on the lure or knot slipped a little at the tie point. This can fix it self during your retrieve at times so you won’t see anything when you finish reeling in

If it was consistent every cast I would say the lure needs tuning

As mentioned most lipped lures have a max speed before they reach blow out. If you are river fishing current can also cause it. If you changed the hooks and they are lighter then the originals you will also reach blow out at a lower speed as well

It’s hard to judge without seeing it play out firsthand. Rapala makes quality lures action wise so manufacture defects are not common so I would assume it’s how your using them
Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Ok thanks. I did remove the belly hooks so maybe that or just random hooks getting caught or knot moved. Do you guys ever have this problem or is it just me and I need to figure out what I’m doing to cause it?
Old 08-10-2019, 11:00 AM

I have no issues with rapalas unless I have done something to it or something hangs up. If you removed the belly hooks you have thrown the weighting off on the lure and it will blow out easier. If you want to remove the hooks and keep the same action you should substitute the weight you took away. Lead tape works but it’s easier just to cut the points off the hooks and leave them on. I assume you are just trying to make C&R easier with less hooks

I build crankbait/jerk baits there is a lot of factors involved in creating the action weight and balance being two major ones. Even the weight of paint and clear coat have an effect

If you have issues with rapalas straight out of the box no changes it’s something you’re doing. If its only with hooks removed it’s you changed the weigh and balance of the design
Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 AM

As Smoky Buck mentioned sometimes the line or a hook is hung up. If it is not retrieving properly sometimes you can get it to work right by giving the lure a pop.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:30 PM

I’ll just play with it some more and hopefully can get more consistent. I took the belly hook off to prevent snags. They hook up on bottom and weeds way too easy with it on.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:02 PM

If you still have issues clap a small split shot on the hook hanger it will balance it out and keep the weeds off
Old 08-10-2019, 09:51 PM

If you remove the belly hook the weight on the tail hook's weight will push the lip up and that's what you are seeing.

If you want to remove a hook - remove the tail hook. The weight closer to the lip will drastically reduce your problem.

I usually remove trebles and replace with larger heavier singles.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:21 AM

If you remove the tail hook and keep the belly it will still snag all the time
Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 AM

It does not need to be a hook just weight it to balance without doing so problem won’t go away. Lots of options lead tape, split shot on hook hanger, small bell weight, or if you only plan on using one hook drill and epoxy in a belly weight.

No other way around it if you want to solve the problem. All lipped baits are weighted to achieve a certain action and this includes the hooks/hardware. If you deviate the original design but want it to run right you have to compensate for changes made.

Or you run them as you are
Old 08-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
If you remove the tail hook and keep the belly it will still snag all the time
It sure will .......... unless you replace the belly hook with a heavy single.

Makes snags happen far less often.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Braid or Mono?

Alot of Spin fishermen, especially the young and old inexperienced people I take who use My equipment, seem to think that you have to keep reeling in when a fish is running.

Mono is by far worse fro getting line twist than braid, but spinning reels do a number on the line when people keep reeling as the line is going out.

Easiest way to to let alot of line out with just a weight, and reel back in slowly and allow the line to unspin if its mono.

That may be part of the problem here, or it could be a damaged lip on the Rap, or it could be that you should put a ball bearing swivel on to fight the rotation of the plug that is swimming it sideways to the surface.

Drewski
Old 08-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Rapala plugs should only be fished with a loose loop knot such as a rapala knot, never a knot tight to the wire.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/rapala-knot

A way to deal with this if you do not want to tie a loop knot is to put a swivel on the lure with a split ring first.

Vic
Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 AM

I rarely cast cranks anymore but even trolling the treble can hook on the line and the action is gone. Yet even then they rarely work their way to the surface. Although if it got like that in a cast it would very likely stay on top.
Maybe try a different cast. A wide looping cast like your fly-casting a double nymph rig, might keep the lure away from the line.

Floating cranks are horrible to cast IIRC. Like casting a marshmallow. If you slow the retrieve and they sometimes go back down, you know the current / retrieve is the cause.

I have a boat-load of cranks that don’t swim deep enough to be much use to me. Only the sinking and ‘deep-diving’ Raps get used much by me.