Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Athabasca River - Jasper National Park

Hi,

I will be camping at Wabasso campground on the Athabasca River Saturday to Wednesday. What can you catch on that part of the river? Is the fishing any good? Do you recommend any other creeks or rivers to fish in Jasper National Park?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 PM

I spent may long weekend at Kerkeslin and had a really tough time on the Atha-B. It was way too early in the year and the water was really high and dirty. They say there’s 7 species of trout below the falls. Just bulls above. Some really good looking water above and below you can find pretty easily driving along 93. I would say your best bet would be the pool below the falls but it’s a long weekend and will be crowded. Ppl throwing rocks in the water while I was down there. Didn’t help my chances at all. I’d go early or late when the crowds aren’t around.

I did however find some success on Moab lake. It’s not far from where you’d be. 7km off 93A to the parking lot and about 0.5km walk into the lake. Real nice spot. Fish rising within casting distance from shore. I got some from the bank but if you have a float tube you’d be better off. I saw some guys floating and having better luck than me.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:28 PM

There are some good pools right along Wabasso campground, but the river is very high and dirty right now, making fishing a little more challenging! You could potentially catch bulls, rainbows, and brookies there.