Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Gun rests?

I am thinking about getting a gun rest to get my rifle dialed in better, I push my gun to the right with my shoulder when i pull the trigger( I shoot left handed) so its very hard to get my gun to shoot a good grouping. I was thinking about getting a gun rest, dial my rifle in ,then shot free hand or with shootig sticks and see how much human error i have? saves alot of bullets i think?
just seeing what peolpe have? or suggest which one? I have been looking at the caldwell lead sled but there 3 or 4 version of it , then there is the MTM predator gun rest?

I am trying to take out all human error for sighting in, and i know i have to learn not to push my gun

thanks CN
Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I like rests, but not as much as bags, thats just my opinion. The lead sled is a good system for working on load development, and long range periods. As far as saving bullets, I think you should shoot as much as possible and try to break the habit of "pushing" the rifle.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Get yourself a good front and rear bag system....probably ,cheaper than a led slead type rest. Buy the tripod for the front bag and get a good rear bag.Less than a 100 bucks for all three items. You will become a better shot as you learn proper shooting technique. Having someone who is experienced along would help you more than anything. Have them load the rifle for you slipping the odd fired round in, this will help determine if you are flinching which is generaly a problem for new shooters.Keep at it!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM

I like te idea of adding the odd fired round idea thats kinda neat, as for the bags sounds lke thats the way to go, what is this tripod that you are talking about? I would have a rear bag and a front bag plus a tripod at the front? I am going to be heading out to Sibale(sp) flats most likly this weeked again or maybe during the week after work since i work out towards that area.

And I am shooting a tika T3 lite 270 SS barrel , syn stock

I flinch cause when i was 15-16 i got scope eye or idoit eye and even since then, i gotta shot alot more.

thanks looking at bags at bass pro already

CN
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM

This is the tripod type rest with front bag I'm reffering to:

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...roduct=Rock-Jr

Used with a rear bag to craddle the end of your stock they work quite well.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM

I use a Caldwell 'lead sled' for just the solution you described - it allows me to 'dial in' the scope with just 3 shots, almost eliminating 'human error'. Now I know the scope is dead on, and it's up to me to get my shooting more consistent.

The lead sled has saved me a bundle in ammunition. Where I used to be chasing around the bullseye, contiunually adjusting my scope - I can now concentrate on improving my shooting technique.

I found that the sand bags helped in accuracy, but not nearly as much as the sled, and did nothing to counter recoil & flinching. A good sled will cost about $140 and save you money in the long run.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Default leather shooting bags

I highly recommend all-leather shooting bags made by either of these US companies. They also make small leather rests designed for front tripods like what whitetailhntr recommends.

http://www.edgebag.com/

http://http://protektormodel.com/

I phoned in my order to Protektor in Pennsylvania and they showed up in the mail within 10 days - their phone staff are shooters so they can help get you sorted out as to what would work best for your rifle and application.

Once tightly filled with sand (or what is called 'heavy sand') and used properly, these rests hold your rifle in the same way for each shot and allow it to glide back under recoil in the same way as well. I rely on them to develop very accurate loads.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I use a Caldwell 'lead sled' for just the solution you described - it allows me to 'dial in' the scope with just 3 shots, almost eliminating 'human error'. Now I know the scope is dead on, and it's up to me to get my shooting more consistent.
Since a Lead Sled does prevent the rifle from recoiling naturally,it can also result in a different point of impact than when shooting the rifle off of your shoulder.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM

I use the following items in different combinations and they all work well for me.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Since a Lead Sled does prevent the rifle from recoiling naturally,it can also result in a different point of impact than when shooting the rifle off of your shoulder.
Not to mention that they can damage your rifle. They have been known to actually break stocks.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that they can damage your rifle. They have been known to actually break stocks.
Especially high recoiling rifles with wooden stocks.I myself know of two stocks that cracked when used with lead sled type devices.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Gone Hunting

I've tried shooting of gun rest and I am back to sand bags, I would use gun rest for preliminary testing(velocity development) of 338 Win Mag or bigger, but not for accuracy testing.
Andrew
Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Banned

I have a heavy gun rest and a set of good sand bags, and I far prefer the sand bags.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM

I have always used front rests and rear bags for accuracy shooting - as has every bench rest shooter I have ever known!

Here's my buddy Steve with his Caldwell front rest showing excellent technique.

Cat
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 AM

I use Caldwell front rests, either the Fire Control, Rock or Rock BR and a rear bag.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Especially high recoiling rifles with wooden stocks.I myself know of two stocks that cracked when used with lead sled type devices.
I believe some of the newer ones address that issue...
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM

I have a Benchmaster rest that I really like.

I use it for all my load development work and for sighting in new scopes.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
I have a Benchmaster rest that I really like.

I use it for all my load development work and for sighting in new scopes.

Take the rubber feet off the leveling screws and your groups will tighten even further!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Take the rubber feet off the leveling screws and your groups will tighten even further!
Oh really? Im going to give it a try. My groups have been pretty sweet except for a single flyer I cant seem to get rid of.

Have to see if that helps.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
alway thought about that something got to give some place.Use the same set up as cat for last 20 years front rest rear bags.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:58 PM

thanks for the info guys, i will looking into getting that front rest ( tripod style) then a heavy rear bag.

and it also give me an excuse to go to Bass Pro

CN
Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have always used front rests and rear bags for accuracy shooting - as has every bench rest shooter I have ever known!

Here's my buddy Steve with his Caldwell front rest showing excellent technique.

Cat
Obviously not a 338 mag he's shootin'
I do think that a recoil reduction system will help you get your gun zero'd quicker. Then you can play around with shooting after you know where your gun is hitting.
I don't think it matters if your POI differs from the rest to other shooting styles. Besides in hunting situations you'll have a whole new set of circumstances that will differ from the bench anyway.
Get to where your confident you know your gun is sighted perfect and that will boost your confidence to better shooting.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I don't think it matters if your POI differs from the rest to other shooting styles.
Of course it matters,the difference can easily be a couple of inches at 100 yards or more than 6" at 300 yards.You need to zero the gun so that the point of impact is correct when shooting the gun without a lead sled,unless of course you carry a lead sled along when you are hunting.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 PM

I'm not carrying a front tripod and rear sandbag when I'm hunting either!

All I'm saying is that a sled helps me sight-in faster - using less shots to consistently hit where the crosshairs are.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that a sled helps me sight-in faster - using less shots to consistently hit where the crosshairs are.
What good is a faster sight in,if it isn't to the point where the gun will shoot under field conditions?I sight in off of a rest and bags,with the gun on my shoulder recoiling normally.When I use a bipod or shoot off of a knee or a field rest,the point of impact is the same as off of the rest and bags,but of course my groups are larger due to a less stable shooting position.I have tried lead sleds,and the point of impact does vary from the other shooting positions.It can also vary when using a muzzle brake,then removing the brake.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Here's my home made take me to the gravel pit shooting bench.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Well thats Good to know,I wont ever be buying no led sled.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I do think that a recoil reduction system will help you get your gun zero'd quicker. Then you can play around with shooting after you know where your gun is hitting.
I don't think it matters if your POI differs from the rest to other shooting styles. Besides in hunting situations you'll have a whole new set of circumstances that will differ from the bench anyway.
Get to where your confident you know your gun is sighted perfect and that will boost your confidence to better shooting.
He actually shoots his 375 that way sometimes as well IF he is zeroing the rifle.
And yes, POI can shift considerably depending on the type of rifle, what we use the bench rests for is to shoot for accuracy and load development - hunting positions are then used to practise with .
Cat
Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM

A bit recoil shy are we?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Of course it matters,the difference can easily be a couple of inches at 100 yards or more than 6" at 300 yards.You need to zero the gun so that the point of impact is correct when shooting the gun without a lead sled,unless of course you carry a lead sled along when you are hunting.
you tried to explain this to me a while back. while i agree that the theory makes sense, i tested it out to see and found no difference. i think to get what you are talking about you would need to lock the gun solidly into a vice. i laid my gun in the lead sled and maybe its the combination of the padding on the rear of the sled combined with the limbsaver recoil pad allowing it to give enough that it makes no diff? i dunno.....the theory says if the gun doesnt move then yes impact can change, but with my setup, there is plenty of room for the gun to recoil within the sled. in fact with the padding in there, i dont see how you could stop it from happening. now locked in a gun vice, i could see. whichever....experiment done and no impact change for my gun.