Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-01-2020, 05:45 PM

Default Grandfather ? Liberals new restrictions

Can anyone shed some light on this Grandfather part?
Does this mean if you own a firearm that was non-restricted but now is considered prohibited you have a grandfather clause of ownership?

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 05-01-2020, 06:00 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Can anyone shed some light on this Grandfather part?
Does this mean if you own a firearm that was non-restricted but now is considered prohibited you have a grandfather clause of ownership?
there is no grandfather clause if you have a firearm which is now banned you have 2yrs to hand it in after april 2022 if you still have it you will face crimminal
charges...

yeah this dumb ass government really thought this one out..NOT..ive just got aload of reloading gear for 50cal..all now totally useless...

odd how they pushed all this through in the cover of covid19...

i would move to the usa if the wife would say yes...lol
Old 05-01-2020, 06:16 PM

F%☆k! That's what I thought.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 PM

Hppefully conservatives will reverse it ss wuick as possible, if possible

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 06:26 PM

Ok now I'm confused....just watched local news and they casted firearm owners have 2 years to surrender their firearms and receive payment or and that's and big "OR" grandfather them.
?????????

Old 05-01-2020, 06:33 PM

To anyone who "sells" their gun to Trudeau

I hope you get mugged for that cash. And pistol whipped
Old 05-01-2020, 06:48 PM

For the sake of clarity, direct from the text of the oic

The Government intends to implement a buy-back pro- gram, which would allow affected owners to declare their intent to deliver their firearms to a police officer. The buy- back would compensate affected owners for the value of their firearms after they are delivered to a police officer. An option to participate in a grandfathering regime would also be made available for affected owners.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
For the sake of clarity, direct from the text of the oic

The Government intends to implement a buy-back pro- gram, which would allow affected owners to declare their intent to deliver their firearms to a police officer. The buy- back would compensate affected owners for the value of their firearms after they are delivered to a police officer. An option to participate in a grandfathering regime would also be made available for affected owners.
Thank you

Grandfathering regime... would entail ownership still be allowed without transfer, sale etc.... upon death firearm surrender/destroyed?
What am I missing...?

Old 05-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

This ^^^ and I also hope you really suffer for your stupidity and ignorance .
Old 05-01-2020, 08:26 PM

The Canada Gazette specifically stated a grandfather provision. No details however.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Yes.. this.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 PM

When I watched the National earlier the reporter stated that they maybe relaxing their policy and possibly implementing a application to grandfather your firearms, so you will not have to turn them in!
Old 05-02-2020, 01:41 AM

If its anything like the grandfather clause in C71 on the Swiss Arms guns and etc, the Libs refused changing the dates on that OIC, in the Senate amendments for C71, which expired before C71 was implemented. So, I'd say don't hold your breath on grandfathering, and do not count on the Cons to save anyone's butt. They are issuing the usual outrage at the moment, but, they also have no say unless they can oust this gov't, and then will have to contend with the Liberal Senate, who will likely not do a damned thing about processing any legislation to repeal. And it would require their approval. Until that Senate is gone, there will be no repeal.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:26 AM

Default Grandfather

I would bet the offer to grandfather is a sinister attempt by the government to fish for who owns non-restricted firearms that are now on the banned list.

Currently they have no idea who owns a VZ58, SIG550 and all the AR10 variants. If you have one of these and get it "grandfathered" it would be the same as registering it and they'll know they can seize it from you in the future.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:36 AM

In the case of the grandfather clause - you have an expensive piece of home décor, because you won't be able to take it anywhere, or shoot it.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
When I watched the National earlier the reporter stated that they maybe relaxing their policy and possibly implementing a application to grandfather your firearms, so you will not have to turn them in!
But you still will not be able to use them. This will make them worthless and save the government money.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
But you still will not be able to use them. This will make them worthless and save the government money.
There was no mention of that in the news cast, stay tuned and hopefully this is not the case, funny thing about this, is if a person did possess these firearms legally, and decided he/she wanted to go on a shooting spree, this law would certainly not deter them, rendering this new rule useless!
Old 05-02-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
I would bet the offer to grandfather is a sinister attempt by the government to fish for who owns non-restricted firearms that are now on the banned list.

Currently they have no idea who owns a VZ58, SIG550 and all the AR10 variants. If you have one of these and get it "grandfathered" it would be the same as registering it and they'll know they can seize it from you in the future.
This is exactly my thoughts as well. They have no interest on letting you keep anything. They just want to know who has what to make the confiscation certain.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless_84 View Post
This is exactly my thoughts as well. They have no interest on letting you keep anything. They just want to know who has what to make the confiscation certain.
Agreed it’s a scam
Old 05-02-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Thank you

Grandfathering regime... would entail ownership still be allowed without transfer, sale etc.... upon death firearm surrender/destroyed?
What am I missing...?
You cannot use them, you cannot transport them, you can stroke them before you go to bed every night. That's what they've been turned into. Permanent safe queens...…...what is the value of that?
Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Hppefully conservatives will reverse it ss wuick as possible, if possible

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Not possible. In two years the Liberals will still be in power. Al the prohibited guns will have been transferred to the government. Only criminals will own prohibited guns.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:27 PM

I have come to the conclusion of f@ck the liberals and their dictatorship.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:30 PM

What I don't understand is this hope some seem to have that the Conservative government is going to get elected and fix all this. Really? Kind of naive.

PM Harper was one of the best ever imo, and yet other than shutting down the registry for long guns, and spanking the RCMP for fiddling with Swiss Green classification....they really didn't do much for Gun owners. They couldn't afford to because they would have alienated voters against them and their government was always tenuous.

We have to realize that two thirds of voters voted Liberal, left of liberal, or Bloc in the last election. Conservative votes concentrated in the prairies, not much anywhere else. Canada's culture and demographics are drifting further left all the time, even here (look at who Calgary and Edmonton elected as mayor). We may not see it here as much rurally, as the prairies are a conservative bastion, but it is here. But that has left us essentially unrepresented in government.

Because of the electoral system, I don't see that changing. Per capita, we have the lowest representation in Parliament I believe. We have what, 4 senators? Nova Scotia and New Brunswick have ten, with a fraction of our population (I will check my numbers it's been a while but I think those are right).

Conservatives are a minority. And gun owners are a minority. When I see the polls that say 80% of Canadians are in favor of the bans...even adjusting for bias I'd bet it actually would be 65-70%.

You aren't going to shame Liberal voters 'for doing this to us'. They are absolutely delighted that the PM and Billy Blair did this! He campaigned on it, and they love it.
They only wish he had gone farther and included handguns. Thats coming too, believe it. Next election's promise to buy votes, count on it.
The only thing they don't like is the loophole to allow grandfathering, and some of the more astute might squirm a bit that it was done as an OIC instead of tabling a Bill in the House.

And he has bought his media lap dogs to get his message out, and with the correct love factor, while demonizing gun owners. Chrystia Freeland equated us with racist homophobic wife beaters for Christ's sake and they ate it up!

When have you ever been able to reason with a leftist gun hater?

Time to wake up, the CPC isn't going to get a majority government. They aren't going to undo this ban. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that idiot man child JT is re-elected again, maybe with a majority next time.

We may hate him, but he is loved, and he is buying more love all the time. Deal with it. He survived SNC, ethics violations, the dressup road show to India, screwing up everything with China, being outed as a groper, wearing blackface....he is Teflon to his loving followers. He will be re-elected, I'd bet on it. I hate it, but I'm not stupidly blind to the reality.

The only way out of this is a provincial firewall to start with, our own police and cfo, and then a legitimate federal and provincial party that operates like the Bloc, and is serious about it. And that may not make a difference.

We. Are. A. Minority. And nobody loves us but us. And a lot of the time around here we actually don't love each other much at all, we are divided. Wake up.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-02-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:41 PM

Twisted Canuck,
Regretably, you're right on the money with your reality check.
I find it interesting that Kenny suggested appointing a provincial CFO and that Doug Ford has denounced Trudeau's C-71 approach. Like you suggested, our only chance in AB is that Kenny follows up with the provincial CFO and implements it.
It makes perfect sense for provinces to have some autonomy around gun control, afterall the US states certainly do. California and Texas for example have very different ideas on gun control. Much like Alberta and Quebec share different ideas on EVERYTHING.

Last edited by MOAhunter; 05-02-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Old 05-03-2020, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
PM Harper was one of the best ever imo, and yet other than shutting down the registry for long guns, and spanking the RCMP for fiddling with Swiss Green classification....they really didn't do much for Gun owners. They couldn't afford to because they would have alienated voters against them and their government was always tenuous.

It goes further than that. Harper’s public safety minister Steven Blaney was informed multiple times the RCMP were looking into reclassifying the PE90s but did nothing about it. Of course they saw the reaction they were all “outraged” but they could have killed it any time and did nothing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/swi...aney-1.2640268

The Conservative party’s hands are not clean either. We need to remember that.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:02 AM

Yeah. Scared here

If parliament doesn’t reconvene and put and end to this horse chit soon -

And in 2 years - think I’m just going to jail then , not handing them over , if it doesn’t get worse worse and we start shooting back, by then but I really don’t wanna die in a shootout with the police

Can we organize a mass armed - peaceful demonstration in Alberta first to say Edmonton ? Show support for guns / disdain for JT

Hopefully inspire Ontario to mobilize against Ottawa ?
Old 05-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
It goes further than that. Harper’s public safety minister Steven Blaney was informed multiple times the RCMP were looking into reclassifying the PE90s but did nothing about it. Of course they saw the reaction they were all “outraged” but they could have killed it any time and did nothing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/swi...aney-1.2640268

The Conservative party’s hands are not clean either. We need to remember that.
Totally true. I didn't want to write a whole book, so couldn't put all the good bits in, but it just highlights how the cons pay lip service to our little demographic because they need us, but they don't really serve us.

Since the ban Friday, as always, they are pretty much invisible. A short interview expressing outrage and then nothing. Just like always.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-03-2020, 10:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

just make sure the pistol is registered....all legal like....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-05-2020, 11:40 PM

Separation, Canuck. That's the only way for Alberta. But I don't have much hope of that. The cities would never go for it. Montana's looking better all the time.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Can we organize a mass armed - peaceful demonstration in Alberta first to say Edmonton ? Show support for guns / disdain for JT

Hopefully inspire Ontario to mobilize against Ottawa ?
This is part of the problem. How many people do you think support the ban because they equate Canadian hunters and sportsman, or gun owners with the same armed protesters across the border in the USA? If you do not believe those people look nuts, then you are not in the majority. If responsible Canadian gun owners choose to attach themselves to how things go on in the USA and approach it in an NRA like fashion then they are most definitely going to be the minority and will lose.