Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Default How careful are you with your firearms?

I was out shooting sporting clays today and I was wearing gloves the whole time as it was chilly and I still managed to put a couple of nicks on the fore end of my Beretta O/U.

When I noticed it I was real cranky, cause I have no idea how they got there, and I couldnt blame anyone else but myself.

How far do you guys like to go to keep your firearms looking their best?

With my O/Us I think that they look great and should be kept that way. With my S/S rifles I am a little less anal about it cause they are harder to mark up.

Anyone know a good solution to taking the scratches out?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM

I get relly pi**ed to, the first couple nicks or scratches but after a while just accept the fact it's gonna happen, especially if it's a bush gun.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Now im mad!!! I forgot about trap club practice tonight,until I read this...Darn!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
I was out shooting sporting clays today and I was wearing gloves the whole time as it was chilly and I still managed to put a couple of nicks on the fore end of my Beretta O/U.

When I noticed it I was real cranky, cause I have no idea how they got there, and I couldnt blame anyone else but myself.

How far do you guys like to go to keep your firearms looking their best?

With my O/Us I think that they look great and should be kept that way. With my S/S rifles I am a little less anal about it cause they are harder to mark up.

Anyone know a good solution to taking the scratches out?

I hate it when I ding my guns up too, but when I look at my elders old rifles I see that it adds character to them. There is a difference between use and abuse as you well know.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Most of mine have character, from use, but have some that rarely get out because the walnut is just too nice.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM

I'm pretty careful with my guns, but as careful as you can be, one must expect scratches and stuff over time.
Cat
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM

My guns get used. All of them. i don't go around intentionally smashing them up, but any bumps and bruises they pick up in use just add to their charm!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM

I usually keep my $2000 custom 243AI with $3200 S&B scope and my Beretta Extrema2 behind the seat in my truck needless to say they are scratched and banged up. I view my guns the same way as my hammer, a tool.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM

I had a friend tell me and a couple of others in an email conversation a couple of days ago that when he'd sent Mark Bansner a rifle back for a rebarrel he got a call asking what happened. They had never seen a rifle back in their shop so worn. His response: "it's just blued steel and fibreglass."

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM

If you stand back a bit when you look at some older guns they look just as good as the day you bought them. I still think my used Browning medallion A bolt looks better than my new Sako stainless synthetic. Wood stock will always look nicer than plastic even if it has some wear on it. What we need is guns with the stocks for the safe and stocks for the field.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM

Taking decent care of certain things like guns and cars often doesn't ensure they won't show signs of wear eventually. Personally the feeling of being paranoid to get nicks would take away the fun, so I just accept it, within normal ranges. I have picked up some "workhorse" guns for the poorest of conditions also.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM

If you are looking to take the dings out of a wood stock, use the iron and a damp cloth trick. It will lift the dents out.

I try to avoid denting my rifles but it happens.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Banned

If I had a gun or rifle that I was worried about putting scratches and dings in it I'd get rid of it. I bought mine to hunt with and I accept that scratches and dings are going to happen eventually if I'm going to use them. Guys that handle their rifles worrying about putting a little mark in the stock remind me of someone tip toeing through the mud trying not to get their new boots dirty.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Pretty much OCD when it comes to guns, but as I have learned, no matter how careful I am with my guns, things are going to happen anyways. Instead of stressing about it, I have learned to just accept it and use them as nature intended.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 AM

I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this thread. I thought I was being a bit of a baby when I dropped my mint S&W 622 on the concrete floor and damaged the plastic rear sight, and blemished the pristine finish on the beavertail. I spent and hour trying to fix the nicks and scratches and was cussing out loud.

My GF came downstairs and asked me what all the commotion was about so I explained what I had done. She asked me if it's the same reason that I keep my restored 1969 Chevelle in the garage and drive it 5 times a year. Yeah , it's the same reason, I keep mint belongings in good shape for fear that I will mar the finish. I'm going to use the car and the S&W more often. I can't enjoy them if they are just on display.

My pickup gets used like a pickup should just like my Winchester 1894 gets abused because it's my pack rifle on the trail.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Banned

I take care of my guns. I don't toss them around or leave there where they may fall. I always transport them and store them in a padded case, and when I am done, I clean them and oil them.

If I had a gun that I was worried about marking up, it would be in a rack hanging on the wall, and never fired. I don't have any of those, and don't see myself buying any. I believe guns are meant to be used.

However I do have a 1917 Lee Enfield that I take very good care of, and it is only a range gun, and only on nice sunny days.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 AM

Somewhat careful but I buy them to use and enjoy them. At the end of the day I dont lose sleep over cosmetic damage.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM

I am careful of my guns and protect them as best as I can.

My custom rifles get used - what else is a firearm for ?
Not much can be done if you take that tumble down the scree slope with your elk rifle, as I did with my custom Ruger 77 in 30-06 many years ago. Scratches happen.

I notice minor marks on guns that have had the greatest of care and only range usage. Obviously some little gremlin snuck in and gave the gun a love tap.

After years of use it might be necessary to have a favourite gun refinished. So be it.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM

I put a small scratch on my flintlock's stock when I was removing the wedge pin. I was unhappy about it, to say the least. But soon realized that it probably won't be the last.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM

Like others said, a hunting rifle is a tool, scratches and such "ohwell" I will never forget the one hunt we went on when a friends friend came out to the goose blind with his fancy expensive shotgun. It didnt leave the case and the guy left after about 20 min, didnt want to get the gun dirty or scratch it. Thats cool bud you now have a shotty you wont use

Unless you are a collector or such its a rifle not fine china
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Like others said, a hunting rifle is a tool, scratches and such "ohwell" I will never forget the one hunt we went on when a friends friend came out to the goose blind with his fancy expensive shotgun. It didnt leave the case and the guy left after about 20 min, didnt want to get the gun dirty or scratch it. Thats cool bud you now have a shotty you wont use

I won't own a gun I can't hunt wth unless it's a deicated target rifle!
Cat
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post

Fortunatly I dont suffer from the "scratched firearm" syndrome.... My Firearms are tools,which im not afraid to use in the field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006-1_zps1a601b9f.jpg (61.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 552175_10151098252230846_7356062_n.jpg (34.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM

I take good care of firearms but don't get bent out of shape about nicks, scratches, dings, etc.

I have never let the thought of getting a gun dirty or scratched hold me up from hunting the way I want to hunt.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM

I see my rifles as a tool. It is intended to be used and through use will come scratches and dings and dents as to be expected. The first couple you put in them are the toughest but after that they dont bother me one bit. I try to take care of them as best I can but I dont get bent out of shape if something happens on accident.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM

I take extremely good care of my guns, but they get used, a lot, why else would I own them. I am not a collector and none are for sale. It is funny how my nicest guns show the most wear. Probably because they are favorites and get used the most. The first mark or scratch is toughest but after many years and many miles, signs of use make me kind of smile, happy with the comfort a well used gun provides. On a side note, pretty happy right now, just watched the Canadians lose. I am no Senator fan, but any time Montreal loses, I'm a happy guy. Go Bruins! ...sorry, carry on.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Always clean my guns regularly, no exceptions. That being said, the wood stocks on my guns are in pretty rough shape from use. Like a good truck, I'm not too afraid to get them dirty, scuffed and scratched -- as long as I keep them working properly, that's all that matters.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
My guns get used. All of them. i don't go around intentionally smashing them up, but any bumps and bruises they pick up in use just add to their charm!
X2
Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 PM

If I was worried about getting a nick on my gun I would never take it out. Like others mentioned its a tool to be used and I don't lose sleep over it.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Fortunatly I dont suffer from the "scratched firearm" syndrome.... My Firearms are tools,which im not afraid to use in the field.
That is a beautiful shotgun, and an equally beautiful pic. Nice work.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Gone Hunting

SS for me and that's why

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY