Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM

From what I have read recently , a 243 is all you need . It's all about shot placement..right?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5316 View Post
The minimum caliber for Bison is a 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet and thats right from the book the wildlife sent me with my draw this year. I shot my Bison with my 300 Win Mag using a 180 grain bullet. I have a 30-06 which I was going to use but the only reason I went with the 300 was its a new gun and wanted to try it out. I hit mine in the heart and it dropped after about 30 yards. I believe its more about shot placement then caliber
Congrats. Pretty amazing to continue for 30 yards.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobinson View Post
Hey guys, my dad is starting to get serious about starting to hunt this season and I was looking for some help in looking for the ideal calibre for him. He grew up shooting 12ga shotguns with grampa so recoil isn't really a problem. Personally I like my 7mm rem mag was with different grains I can take anything from antelope to moose, but any suggestions would deffinatly be appreciated!
Agree

David
OUOTE ....CHUCK HAWKS

Remington Model 700 bolt action

The Remington Model 700 was introduced in 1962 as a sleeker, much better turned-out version of the Company's "plain Jane" Model 721, 722, and 725 sporting rifles. It has become the best selling, bolt action, sporting rifle in history with upwards of 5,000,000 produced. Perhaps more than anything else, the Model 700 owes its instant success and great popularity to the attractive and functionally shaped walnut stocks supplied on the original models. This tradition of attractive and functional stocks is alive and well today in the Model 700 BDL, CDL, LSS and Mountain Rifle Models.

Rem. 700 LSS Mountain Rifle. Illustration courtesy of Remington Arms Co. Inc.
The basic Remington 700 action is loosely based on the Mauser 98 concept modified to allow the cheapest possible manufacture (given 1950's manufacturing technology). However, it also incorporated certain key improvements, including near Weatherby-like strength ("three rings of steel" surround the cartridge head), very fast lock time, a natural and easy to use two-position safety and an excellent trigger mechanism. The fast lock time and excellent trigger quickly earned the Model 700 a reputation for accuracy that it retains to this day.

This is a push feed action that uses a plunger ejector and a circlip extractor, both mounted in a recessed bolt face. The open top receiver is round because it is simply drilled from steel bar stock. The recoil lug is essentially a heavy-duty steel washer trapped between the barrel and the receiver. Cartridges are fed from an internal, staggered box magazine formed from sheet steel. The trigger guard/bottom iron is made from aluminum. Upscale Model 700's normally incorporate hinged magazine floorplates. Over the years the Model 700 has been offered in myriad configurations for a bewildering array of calibers, the latter ranging from .17 to .45 and it is fair to say that there is a Model 700 for practically any purpose and budget.

Last edited by Speckle55; 01-23-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM

If you handload, then I would say .280 Rem. If you don't, then 7mm Remington Mag or .270. Nothing against the larger magnums, they're just not as fun to shoot.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM

30-06 is great used one for many years moose,black bear, deer, elk all fell quick but why stop at one variety is spice of life i used a 338 win mag for a while and thought it was super now i am shotting a 300 weatherby it is shapeing up nice
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 AM

30'06 can keep a trajectory that never goes more than 2" high or 2" low out to about 300 yards when zeroed appropriately and can kill anything on the earth.

Those in the know use it.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 AM

Default 30-06

30-06 always has the most votes in these threads. it just works. find it anywhere, kill anything, and do it comfortably.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 AM

Something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread (although it might have been...I'll admit that I wasn't reading very closely), is availability of factory ammo. Since your dad is just getting into things, he's not likely to be handloading; so all of those fancy-shmancy cartridges, while they might be very good, won't do him much good. Get something that you can get at any general store in the remotest reaches of the province -- .270, 7mm RM, .30-06, .308.... All are very effective; and if you forget the ammo at home, on an out-of-town hunting trip, you won't have as far to go to get some to replace it.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

Would I be correct in saying that several posters above have changed their opinions on this issue over the last few years?

Perhaps because you bought another gun in a different calibre?

I know Cat has not.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Would I be correct in saying that several posters above have changed their opinions on this issue over the last few years?

Perhaps because you bought another gun in a different calibre?

I know Cat has not.
Which, changed my opinion - or bought a new gun over the last few years??

Cat
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Which, changed my opinion - or bought a new gun over the last few years??

Cat
Sorry Cat:

I think you are a .260 guy all the way for one calibre.

As for buying another gun, we all know about your propensity for trying out new stuff.

Sorry for any confusion
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Anything less than .50BMG just won't cut it
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Sorry Cat:

I think you are a .260 guy all the way for one calibre.

As for buying another gun, we all know about your propensity for trying out new stuff.

Sorry for any confusion
Actually, I do really like the 6.5calibre, and the 6.5X55 especially, but I am also a big fan of the .303 british.
My views on the best all around gun haven't changed mind you, that being caliber is not that important and not nearly so as the rifle itself, as long as it is a mid ranged sized.
Cat
Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Actually, I do really like the 6.5calibre, and the 6.5X55 especially, but I am also a big fan of the .303 british.
My views on the best all around gun haven't changed mind you, that being caliber is not that important and not nearly so as the rifle itself, as long as it is a mid ranged sized.
Cat
This, I think, sums it up completely. The gun has to fit, the action comfortable for the shooter to be familiar with, and most importantly, I think, is the recoil must be tolerable. I have been asked this same question several times by new shooters. My answer is always the same. Though I've never owned one, I feel it all starts with the 30-06. To some the recoil is too much, in which case the 308, 270, 25-06, or 243 is recommended until recoil comfort is found. Then it's off to some stores to try different models. Usually the new shooter finds what they can't live without and from there it's practice, practice! Good luck and enjoy the process, even after many years it's still an exciting time.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
Take him to your favorite gun store and let him feel up a few rifles and let him decide.
What he said, I would be happy with anything from a 243 Win to a 375 H&H. But fit and feel rule the day. I use a 30-06, that fits.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 PM

Wink

I like the 950 JDJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

If you want a walking weight rifle I would suggest the T-Rex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCY3_5Bg1M

I also like the 270 wsm.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 AM

Thanks a bunch guys! Very helpful!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 AM

There's no such thing as "the best" at anything. No best rifle, no best truck, no best computer and no best woman. It's all about what you need it for.

You're not going to use a .308 to shoot gophers and you're not going to use a Honda Civic to haul gravel.

Decide what is is you want to do and then do some research. The internet is a wonderful tool. AO can be great for differing opinions, but if you can be more specific, you can get some very valuable information here. You just have to be able to distinguish between the opinionated guys, and those with true knowledge. You'll be able to pick out the truly knowledgeable ones pretty quickly. Good Luck.