Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Default way to go WSS South Edmonton

Off to WSS south Edmonton for Retumbo or H4895 powders, 7mm bullets and fillable rear leather bag rest. Guess what, NON of the above. Again. How do they stay in business?? Actually they have NO POWDER at all. OK, I'll try Cabelas. No powder either or rear bag rest, they did have the bullets. Wow.

I guess I'll just continue to buy supplies from Warburg and Thorsby gunshops.

WSS doesn't need my business.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Actually they have NO POWDER at all
You are telling us that the WSS powder magazine is completely empty, as in no gunpowder of any kind?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM

3 cans left of powder I never heard of.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM

DELETE double post

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 03-21-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: double posting
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM

what is this Thorsby shop you speak of?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM

Should of just went to P & D. Probably would have better luck IMO for what you need and have in stock.

I'll send you a PM, in case I have some bullets for 7mm and brass for 7mmRM.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM

The north Wholesale Sports doesn't have powder either. They have a sign on their gun counter listing the powder they DO have. It's maybe 6 items long. Powder you've never heard of. Why are both north and south completely out of powder?

Did they lose the ability to sell it or what? What a joke.

Oh well, I got my IMR4350 from Cabela's. The guy said they had 'tons' in the back.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
The north Wholesale Sports doesn't have powder either. They have a sign on their gun counter listing the powder they DO have. It's maybe 6 items long. Powder you've never heard of. Why are both north and south completely out of powder?

Did they lose the ability to sell it or what? What a joke.

Oh well, I got my IMR4350 from Cabela's. The guy said they had 'tons' in the back.
Saskatoon WSS is pretty much completely out of powder also.

I was in the other day and I couldn't believe how many empty shelves I saw. Literally rows upon rows of half empty shelves.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM

I wonder if UFA buying them out has anything to do with the empty shelves and lack of powders. Just a thought
Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 PM

ive had good dealings with wss over the last 4 years reloading from there online shipping i think its calgary they have what i want quick and if they dont they wil phone in a day or two i have been to their store in north ed when i was down there clearly i was better off at home ordering online
Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
I wonder if UFA buying them out has anything to do with the empty shelves and lack of powders. Just a thought
What WSS needs is someone at the top who knows something and makes arrangements to get product on the shelves.

The employees are not to blame. Theyd love to sell stuff, but the actual company executive do not have the right people, making the right contacts, and spending the right amount of money to make WSS successful

I am a shareholder in UFA and I find the senior management is not doing the job it needs to do.

You have to spend money to make money. Lots of it. They are operating WSS like its in liquidation.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Thorsby Arms and Ammo, formerly Wild Bill's, been open since last fall.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
What WSS needs is someone at the top who knows something and makes arrangements to get product on the shelves.

The employees are not to blame. Theyd love to sell stuff, but the actual company executive do not have the right people, making the right contacts, and spending the right amount of money to make WSS successful

I am a shareholder in UFA and I find the senior management is not doing the job it needs to do.

You have to spend money to make money. Lots of it. They are operating WSS like its in liquidation.
Agreed. There is a difference between lean management and not having stock. Cut your losses on stock that doesn't move, but for the rest of it you need to re-order at some point. Trying to buy some spoons in the fishing sections...impossible...all out...trying to get some fly tying material...none of what I want and nothing new ordered since last time I visited in December. Generally I prefer WSS to other competitors because of the staff at WSS south Ed and the prices are generally better and the stock is more of what I want...but no stock = no sale; sorry!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
They are operating WSS like its in liquidation.
I honestly thought that this was the case when I went in to the store.

I asked a fellow if they were closing up (didn't seem like an impossibility considering Cabelas is opening a store here in a few months).

He told me that sadly, they were just waiting on product to fill the shelves.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Is there a shortage of powder? It wouldn't be the first time it happened.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

You have stated exactly what is going on at WSS, and basically has been ever since UFA bought them.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 PM

I just thought that's what sporting goods stores in Canada were supposed to be like.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky51 View Post
Off to WSS south Edmonton for Retumbo or H4895 powders, 7mm bullets and fillable rear leather bag rest. Guess what, NON of the above. Again. How do they stay in business?? Actually they have NO POWDER at all. OK, I'll try Cabelas. No powder either or rear bag rest, they did have the bullets. Wow.

I guess I'll just continue to buy supplies from Warburg and Thorsby gunshops.

WSS doesn't need my business.
I find WSS terribly frustrating as well! More often than not I am shopping at the Calgary or Lethbridge stores, and I usually leave without purchasing any of the items on my list.

For most part the front line employees are trying their best to help, but they simply cannot sell what they do not have in stock. It blows my mind how WSS can stay in business, yet be perpetually out of stock on Powder, Bullets, Primers, Reloading dies, Plastic MTM boxes,Brass.

Whoever does the purchasing for WSS needs to shape up!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM

It's is a nice supprise when you can go to wholesale and find the brass and powder you need.......wait......should that really be a supprise? Why can't we expect that?

I have no clue how powders, bullets and brass are ordered but why is it always out of stock? Can't they buy bulk and have a surplus?

I bet one reason they have a hard time stocking the shelves consistantly is probably cause guys are like me and when they actually do have stock on something I buy a ton of it just so I dont need more in another 6 months when they wont have stock.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM

WSS has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. What would be helpful is if we have a contact at UFA or in higher level management at WSS. THAT is who we need to be directing the criticism to.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Default powder price

How much is a pound of propellant at Cabelas? FS
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:

True. Having worked at WSS part time I can attest to the fact that staff hate it when there is a lack of stock for long periods. When they get, they get large quantites but the orders are few a far between.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
I find WSS terribly frustrating as well! More often than not I am shopping at the Calgary or Lethbridge stores, and I usually leave without purchasing any of the items on my list.

For most part the front line employees are trying their best to help, but they simply cannot sell what they do not have in stock. It blows my mind how WSS can stay in business, yet be perpetually out of stock on Powder, Bullets, Primers, Reloading dies, Plastic MTM boxes,Brass.

Whoever does the purchasing for WSS needs to shape up!!
x2 ive been at the lethbridge outlet 2 times looking for br-2 primers and never have any so went and saw teddy at marksman he had them . ive seen guys trying to buy a rifle for their son stand there for 20 mintues waiting to get help and then go buy one at marksman because of the service he gives
Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

WSS is getting short on low inventory excuses. Remember that crock about the computerized inventory taking over half a year to be changed.

Too much inventory hurts the business, not enough is harmful as well.

Losing money does not appear to be important at WSS.

It should be.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM

didn't the laws just change on black powder etc just recently?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM

006::fightin g0021::126fs2277341 ::
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Hey Kamran,
I need a couple bottles of 4350 and 4895 please.

TBark
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

I agree. Since they were bought out, I have noticed that the customer service has improved, but if there is no stock it doesn't matter how friendly the staff is. I would find it very frustrating to work there.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Thumbs down cleaning supplies stock level

WSS here in Lethbridge has been picked clean of cleaning supplies for a long time, probably pushing a year. And there's no sign of a order anytime soon. The few things that are there are Outers brand...where's the Hoppes, Gunslick, and Dewey products?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM

I stopped in WSS North today to get a LEE trimmer guage. They had a display of them - quite large on pegs. Nearly empty. No 270....

Then I looked at Scopes. Jesus Christ. Half the damn scope holders are empty. The cabinets themselves are half empty of scopes too.

What a joke.

Is WSS actually going out of business? I'm starting to wonder...