Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Default guns vs rediculousness

So the other day the wife showed me a facebook post by one of her friends. I took out a few of the other useless responses but I found it comical, annoying and kind of a pizz off. Im not looking for anything but I figure some of the gun guys on here would like to see what the younger generation thinks.

Girl: so the whole handgun thing has got me confused. Why arent they banned??? some will argue they r for self defence but if no one has a gun then you don't need to defend yourself. But then ppl say "well if someone wants to kill you they'll find a way" but then wouldnt you find a way to defend yourself. Killing with a gun is too easy, it distances ppl from the action, so if someone really wants to kil...l you i would rather that they have to do it themselves at close range so i would have a way better chance of protecting myself and they would physically have to do it themselves(no hiding behind a gun, no quick and easy). If someone pulls a gun on you, you're not gunna be like "oh can you wait a minute while i grab mine so i can scare you away or we can have a stand off". How many times has a gun really helped defend a person other than those in the seedy underground scene with drugs and what not(and those ppl should definitely not have guns. and then that whole registry thing..why do gun owners fight it, i have to register my car why shouldn't you have to register your lethal weapon??? Hunting...well i just dont like hunting in general so im not going to argue this point as i would be quite biased to it, although i feel i have valid arguments for that as well. bUt seriously nobody NEEDS a handgun. thoughts???

Girl: w/ that tragedy that happened here in lethbridge, all the guns were registered with no criminal priors so normal ppl are capable of anything, and if spouses get into physical fights with each other i do think the guns should be taken away, 90% of female killings are by their angry spouse with a gun(i learned that in gender sociology last semester, look at me using my schooling lol) and physical violence between couples usually escalates to deadly ends involving guns, so i totally agree with that. as for hunting i cant comment. but car registration does the same as gun registration nothing, but it still should be done. I wanna know who the eff has a gun in my neighborhood. and how many deadly accidents occur bc of guns, like little kids accidentally shooting each other. more cons than pros in my opinion. and as for self defence i rather have a fighting chance with someone with a knife than someone with a gun.

Girl:i didnt say your points were silly i said those situations were, how helpful have guns been to those citizens that have been invaded like in the middle east vs america. Guns haven't helped them. And then it only escalates to bombs. also the war was won by bombs not by guns(first WW was won by machine guns) but you're missing my original point of HANDGUNS. you called my point moot, which is basically the same thing as silly, those who arent opened to ideas are those who cant envision a better society and instead of trying to fix the problem just increase it by saying everyone should have guns. i can think of so many people who should definitely NOT have guns. And youre ignoring what im saying the, the 1% of the time that a gun would benefit me against a bunch of guys, which i feel is does not happen all that often(but i have more faith in my society, as ive never owned a gun or needed one, and never met anyone who would have benefitted from having one/although i know a couple ppl who have been shot and killed by them) is FAR outwieghed by the negative consequences they have. thats what i am saying and the evidence is there guns are more trouble than they are worth.

So thats her thoughts, personally I think shes dumb but what do I know Im a legal gun user, wanna be handgun owner and an animal murderer to feed my family.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
But then ppl say "well if someone wants to kill you they'll find a way" but then wouldnt you find a way to defend yourself. Killing with a gun is too easy, it distances ppl from the action, .
Man, that sounds JUST like the arguments some members were making about the Onoway cops shooting the guy with the knife! LOL

poking the bear... poking the bear.... LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM

I love the line "But then ppl say "well if someone wants to kill you they'll find a way" but then wouldnt you find a way to defend yourself."

I would love it even more if that girl was forced to live her own words. I'd like to see a big 230lbs man with a knife attack her (hypothetically speaking, of course), and for her to "find a way to defend herself". She might not like the very idea that she is proposing. A handgun enables anyone to defend them self against anyone else. The person who is better equipped for hand-to-hand combat will win, if you resort to hand-to-hand combat. The odds aren't nearly as biased when you have a gun.

The gun is aptly named "The Equalizer" for a reason.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Ask any military guy. They will tell you a knife is more dangerous then a gun. Personally anything that can stab or cut is more dangerous then a gun
Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Ask any military guy. They will tell you a knife is more dangerous then a gun. Personally anything that can stab or cut is more dangerous then a gun
I would say that's distance dependant
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I would say more psycologicaly intimidating for the average person due to the close proximity involved with a knife.

I think id be more dangerous with my ruger 1022 than with a knife.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

Default winger

I would love to see someone throw a knife 1.5 miles.... Which is the sniper record current sniper record. I dont see how knives are more lethal than guns at anything more than 30 feet??? Please elaborate
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM

I'd rather have to deal with a knife pointed at me than a gun at anything more than 5 feet, personally.

Also, not many military guys breaking into homes and raping/murdering people. I'm more concerned about the average desperate burgler's abilities with a knife/gun, as well as the abilities of the average person trying to defend themselves, than I am about what most military guys can do with either weapon...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertanoutdoorsman View Post
I would love to see someone throw a knife 1.5 miles.... Which is the sniper record current sniper record. I dont see how knives are more lethal than guns at anything more than 30 feet??? Please elaborate
I would much rather have someone throw a gun at me then a knife.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ask any military guy. They will tell you a knife is more dangerous then a gun.

Really? That's great. Gonna save the Department of Defence a TON of money!

Mind you, the way defence procurement works, we are going to be paying $2,000 for each Leatherman.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM

How would you like to be a teacher that gets to mark essays? No thanks!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Really? That's great. Gonna save the Department of Defence a TON of money!

Mind you, the way defence procurement works, we are going to be paying $2,000 for each Leatherman.
Classic !
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

That girl would lose the argument with my 12 year old daughter who loves to shoot pistols. And she is a crack shot too.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
if no one has a gun then you don't need to defend yourself
this level of detachment from reality astounds me to no end.

this "girl" actually thinks that a law banning all guns will render the world completely gun-free.

the fact i may cross paths with this "girl" at a ballot box is equally as unsettling
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Well no wonder the kids don't know shat from shinola; their teachers are indoctrinating them with made up "statistics" such as that 90% of female killings are committed by their angry spouse with a gun". I can't imagine that a gender sociology instructor could possibly have an existing bias
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870wing View Post
I suppose that might be a valid comparison if the perp forgot his ammo...
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870wing View Post
oh yeah? Well I'd much rather have someone shoot me with a knife than a gun.

I'd also much rather someone hit me with a radish than an anvil.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Never bring a knife to a knife fight.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM

90% of female killings are by their angry spouse with a gun(i learned that in gender sociology last semester,

I just did a little research on this my self. I would suggest she find a better school to go to as the information and teachings she is receiving is totally miss leading....... But hey my info comes from a report from the RCMP that I found on the internet.

Why is it these teachers think its okay to push and teach there views persuading our youth to think like that. What ever happened to teaching the youth the tools to use to make their OWN decisions? Back in high school I was suspended for arguing a teachers opinion? that was 15 years ago. WTF has our education come down to now?

My next question would be how did this girl grow up? Taking on people with knifes? Trying to kill someone up close to the action? Seriously get your head checked.

Fact: My mother HATES guns and I mean HATES them. My father served with the British military elite forces. My dad only owns a 22 for pest control around his place.My father loves guns. So here you have to people complete opposite on the subject. They gave me the tools to make my own decisions and both mom and dad support me even though one does not like guns.And for the record my mom thinks the registry is a JOKE also.

What ever happened to TEACHING OUR KIDS TO MAKE THERE OWN DECISIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RANT OVER!

P.S winger this is great post goes to show the mentality out there.

Last edited by The cooter; 01-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
My next question would be how did this girl grow up?
You're assuming that she has grown up. I'm guessing she's still in her teens...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
You're assuming that she has grown up. I'm guessing she's still in her teens...
LOL I would assume she's in university of some kind? I would hope that she would have some kind of adult decision making process instilled in her By this time. Then again I HAD friends that were Prof regurgitater's. AKA they only know what they here and don't look in to subjects on there own.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM

My daughter tuned a few people in at the U of A.

She told me that there were tons of kids that had firearms experience there. It's not a topic she is well versed in, she just used her examples and some common sense.

She also stated at a meeting "ALL students are NDP or Liberal, until they get a job. Then they become Conservatives. "
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
She also stated at a meeting "ALL students are NDP or Liberal, until they get a job. Then they become Conservatives. "
That girl has been reading some Churchill
Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My daughter tuned a few people in at the U of A.

She told me that there were tons of kids that had firearms experience there. It's not a topic she is well versed in, she just used her examples and some common sense.

Hmm Thats interesting...... Good to hear your Daughter isn't a lemming like alot of them. You sir have given your daughter the right tools to make her own decisions and should be applauded for that. And I see we have hit the nail on the head here with the COMMON SENSE comment.

I can agree to disagree with people as long as they come to the table with valid points. I despise the people who just base opinion on what some else said.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
So the other day the wife showed me a facebook post by one of her friends. I took out a few of the other useless responses but I found it comical, annoying and kind of a pizz off. Im not looking for anything but I figure some of the gun guys on here would like to see what the younger generation thinks.

Girl: so the whole handgun thing has got me confused. Why arent they banned??? some will argue they r for self defence but if no one has a gun then you don't need to defend yourself. But then ppl say "well if someone wants to kill you they'll find a way" but then wouldnt you find a way to defend yourself. Killing with a gun is too easy, it distances ppl from the action, so if someone really wants to kil...l you i would rather that they have to do it themselves at close range so i would have a way better chance of protecting myself and they would physically have to do it themselves(no hiding behind a gun, no quick and easy). If someone pulls a gun on you, you're not gunna be like "oh can you wait a minute while i grab mine so i can scare you away or we can have a stand off". How many times has a gun really helped defend a person other than those in the seedy underground scene with drugs and what not(and those ppl should definitely not have guns. and then that whole registry thing..why do gun owners fight it, i have to register my car why shouldn't you have to register your lethal weapon??? Hunting...well i just dont like hunting in general so im not going to argue this point as i would be quite biased to it, although i feel i have valid arguments for that as well. bUt seriously nobody NEEDS a handgun. thoughts???

Girl: w/ that tragedy that happened here in lethbridge, all the guns were registered with no criminal priors so normal ppl are capable of anything, and if spouses get into physical fights with each other i do think the guns should be taken away, 90% of female killings are by their angry spouse with a gun(i learned that in gender sociology last semester, look at me using my schooling lol) and physical violence between couples usually escalates to deadly ends involving guns, so i totally agree with that. as for hunting i cant comment. but car registration does the same as gun registration nothing, but it still should be done. I wanna know who the eff has a gun in my neighborhood. and how many deadly accidents occur bc of guns, like little kids accidentally shooting each other. more cons than pros in my opinion. and as for self defence i rather have a fighting chance with someone with a knife than someone with a gun.

Girl:i didnt say your points were silly i said those situations were, how helpful have guns been to those citizens that have been invaded like in the middle east vs america. Guns haven't helped them. And then it only escalates to bombs. also the war was won by bombs not by guns(first WW was won by machine guns) but you're missing my original point of HANDGUNS. you called my point moot, which is basically the same thing as silly, those who arent opened to ideas are those who cant envision a better society and instead of trying to fix the problem just increase it by saying everyone should have guns. i can think of so many people who should definitely NOT have guns. And youre ignoring what im saying the, the 1% of the time that a gun would benefit me against a bunch of guys, which i feel is does not happen all that often(but i have more faith in my society, as ive never owned a gun or needed one, and never met anyone who would have benefitted from having one/although i know a couple ppl who have been shot and killed by them) is FAR outwieghed by the negative consequences they have. thats what i am saying and the evidence is there guns are more trouble than they are worth.

So thats her thoughts, personally I think shes dumb but what do I know Im a legal gun user, wanna be handgun owner and an animal murderer to feed my family.
Sorry, I got about 3 sentences in and my eyes glazed over. What are they trying to say? Oh never mind, their opinion doesn't mean crap to me... =]
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM

This is why our Universities are getting more and more useless as the years go by.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckon308 View Post
This is why our Universities are getting more and more useless as the years go by.
Getting useless yes. But I believe the problem starts sooner that that. I think it starts with parenting. If a person sends there kids to school with no skills or tools to make decisions all one will get is whats given to them by the university.

Why can't we give the kids tools to challenge and debate with these so call profs? It seems to me that they are more like brain washers. I think kids need to learn to think out of the box an educate them selfs to a degree before they sit down in these universities.

I have a buddy who went to law school and debated and argued with his profs. Some arguments got pretty heated. When he graduated some of his profs shook his hand and said that he was a breath of fresh air for the way he handled him self in the classes. They respected the fact that he had an opinion and wasn't going to let someone try to brain wash them.

I'm getting off topic here. So back to the thread.

My question is when did society turn on guns? This country was founded on firearms to feed and protect. And still is used for that purpose today.

Don't get me wrong there are still people out there that should never own or handle a firearm. Put a firearm in the right hands is as safe as someone with a pencil. IMO
Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 PM

I am sure there will be a lot more FB pages and posts with similar views in the next few months. The murder of those three people in Claresholm will be used by those with an agenda, and by those who cannot accept that some people will do things like that.

I think it is best to approach people like this (at times like this) with simple questions that make them think outside their comfort zone. Ask her if she really believes the statistics she is stating. Ask her if she really believes that there would be no violent crimes if there were no firearms.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertanoutdoorsman View Post
Well that Is a quote from my cusin who has been in the army training for the last few years. He told me straight up he would rather be shot then stabbed after learning what he learned. So I guess maybe ask ANY military guy may be a strech lol. But from what I understand knifes can cause more damage then bullets. archery hunters help me I know that 1 1/2" broad tip can cause just as uch damage as a 300 win mag. But any ways, this is beside the point lol
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
LOL I would assume she's in university of some kind? I would hope that she would have some kind of adult decision making process instilled in her By this time. Then again I HAD friends that were Prof regurgitater's. AKA they only know what they here and don't look in to subjects on there own.
Yea she is in university, But like some one said kids now-a-days cant think for them selves. lol I wanted to get the wife to ask her about the hunting thing just so I can put some good ol fashion BS on here LMAO