Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I believe we are making reference to building you own. A couple machines, some assorted steel and a little time, it shouldn't be too difficult to manufacture a firearm. Check out the history of the sten gun. Here is a primer on it:

The Sten used simple stamped metal components and minor welding, which required a minimum of machining and manufacturing. Much of the production could be performed by small workshops, with the firearms assembled at the Enfield site. Over the period of manufacture the Sten design was further simplified: the most basic model, the Mark III, could be produced from five man-hours work. Some of the cheapest versions were made from only 47 different parts. It was distinctive for its bare appearance (just a pipe with a metal loop for a stock), and its horizontal magazine. The Mark I was a more finely finished weapon with a wooden foregrip and handle; later versions were generally more spartan, although the final version, the Mark V, which was produced after the threat of invasion had died down, was produced to a higher standard.
Building your own different gun has nothing to do with this gun supposably being a threat to us because it could be modified into the real thing. The sten gun is a very simple weapon from what l hear. The AK is also a simple weapon system, but would be more difficult to build from scratch then the sten gun l would think, l could be wrong.

But to make this BB gun into a real AK you would probably need a receiver jig, find a correct block, a big press to fit the barrell, find an AK gas piston and bolt and spring and a full trigger mechanism and god knows what else, and there would be plenty of problems coming to light during this kind of build. These parts wouldn't be easy to find either. The police make it sound like a dumb ass can make this conversion in his garage when in reality you would need a machine shop and some very knowledgeable people, then I'm sure it could be done (maybe), how well though who knows.

If a group of people were to want to do this illegal activity it would be simpler to just find an illegal AK instead of going through all this trouble.

So what I'm saying is this wouldn't be easy or could it be done in a weekend, and only a very small % of people could possibly pull this off. Nothing to the extent that police would have to say "this weapon is a threat and we are taking them". Cops mised well take all the semi auto rifle mags away from us that are pinned at 5 because they can also be changed into full mag capacity, just drill out the pin and your done (for the most part), but that could actually be done by almost anyone. I still say the real fuss over this whole thing is just because the gun is an AK47 variant.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear 666 View Post
Building your own different gun has nothing to do with this gun supposably being a threat to us because it could be modified into the real thing. The sten gun is a very simple weapon from what l hear. The AK is also a simple weapon system, but would be more difficult to build from scratch then the sten gun l would think, l could be wrong.

But to make this BB gun into a real AK you would probably need a receiver jig, find a correct block, a big press to fit the barrell, find an AK gas piston and bolt and spring and a full trigger mechanism and god knows what else, and there would be plenty of problems coming to light during this kind of build. These parts wouldn't be easy to find either. The police make it sound like a dumb ass can make this conversion in his garage when in reality you would need a machine shop and some very knowledgeable people, then I'm sure it could be done (maybe), how well though who knows.

If a group of people were to want to do this illegal activity it would be simpler to just find an illegal AK instead of going through all this trouble.

So what I'm saying is this wouldn't be easy or could it be done in a weekend, and only a very small % of people could possibly pull this off. Nothing to the extent that police would have to say "this weapon is a threat and we are taking them". Cops mised well take all the semi auto rifle mags away from us that are pinned at 5 because they can also be changed into full mag capacity, just drill out the pin and your done (for the most part), but that could actually be done by almost anyone. I still say the real fuss over this whole thing is just because the gun is an AK47 variant.
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to ship all these modifications in from wherever it is manufactured? I am sure most border agents would notice a gun but I am sure you could get the parts past them.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Like others have said it would probably be faster and safer to machine your own automatic weapon out of scrap metal than to convert one of these toys...

It's like everything else in this country as it relates to firearms, bows, crossbows, etc. The RCMP will ban them as they become aware of them in the hopes that they don't **** off someone with enough money to win a court challenge against them.

Bannings like these are completely arbitrary and are really only done because they can get away with it. Remember, even though we have a new government the RCMP and their bureaucrats are still largely Liberal hires/appointees. And we all know that common sense had NOTHING to do with that group...
Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
That made me laugh thanks for that, more would need to be done, I love when people make tasks sound so simple. Where exactly would your average joe even get these parts to begin with?
I should have thought that was obvious...some can be purchased...others can be made or re-activated.

While in production the stirling cost something like 1.75 to produce.
It was simple and anyone with an understanding of metalurgy and machining could have made one in a well equipped high school metals shop.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 PM

Default rant

1, if you think the RCMP should be shot down, and thrown out.. how does 5% more tax to pay for the extra costs of having, training, uniforming, equipping, vehicles etc. for a NEW provincial force sound? And where is the government going to get this money from to begin with? Food for thought...

2, why are people letting their kids **** around with replica airsoft/bb/pellet guns anyways? When I grew up, it was the good old daisy (do they even still make them??? with all these ak47 pellet guns?) shooting gophers and the pigeons who'd leave the droppings in the barn!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Thankyou for the instructions. I shall start on my fully automatic weapon this evening
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Thankyou for the instructions. I shall start on my fully automatic weapon this evening
make sure to try and register it too
Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
2, why are people letting their kids **** around with replica airsoft/bb/pellet guns anyways? When I grew up, it was the good old daisy (do they even still make them??? with all these ak47 pellet guns?) shooting gophers and the pigeons who'd leave the droppings in the barn!
Why not? It shouldn't matter whether it looks like an old lever (which I believe is what the "Daisy" is), or something else (a big, bad, evil black gun). The premise is the same either way: use CO2 (or green gas) to send a little round ball flying through the air.

In addition to that: I think the "Daisy" is pretty lame, and the gas blowback SCAR I purchased my boy is pretty darn cool.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM

I learned with a daisy. I was sniping birds by the age of 3. Can you even aim the SCAR?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I learned with a daisy. I was sniping birds by the age of 3. Can you even aim the SCAR?
Not a problem:

The stock sights are good, but #1 son has a red dot that he uses on it, too. The SCAR is his least used, as it is the fastest and least safe of his practice guns when running on CO2. He typically only uses it when he is acting as a "designated marksman" in air soft games (where he is far enough away that whoever is hit won't be injured), or if it is warm enough out for green gas.

That was his 17th birthday gift from me.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Not a problem:

The stock sights are good, but #1 son has a red dot that he uses on it, too. The SCAR is his least used, as it is the fastest and least safe of his practice guns when running on CO2. He typically only uses it when he is acting as a "designated marksman" in air soft games (where he is far enough away that whoever is hit won't be injured), or if it is warm enough out for green gas.

Cool thanks for the info.
They are shooting each other with BB guns?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Cool thanks for the info.
They are shooting each other with BB guns?
yup.

They use plastic BBs, and there are a lot of rules. Guns are chronoed, too, as the FPS allowed varies according to the venue (inside or outside), and proximity to the other players. #1 son has a variety of springs to swap out: to ensure that his guns comply with the rules of the game. The big organized games are heavily regulated, and a lot of safety equipment is required.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Not a problem:

What? He hasn't converted this to full auto 223 yet. Must be still getting parts across the border.

Seriously cool though.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-29-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Not a problem:

Ahhhh crap, now I want one of those too.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Isn't there scar 22 cal. I think l saw one on a canadian site somewhere.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Isn't there scar 22 cal. I think l saw one on a canadian site somewhere.
Fairly certain P&D had one as their 'feature of the week' awhile back.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM

I can't believe this thread is 45 posts long and it is all about a BB gun. Geez!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I can't believe this thread is 45 posts long and it is all about a BB gun. Geez!
The issue is not about a BB gun.