Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 03:19 PM

Those are nice guns, indeed, Cat.

I always found the finish on the gold medallion to be “sketchy” though and seems it wouldn’t be reparable if damaged.

P. S. Also, there is no way I can tie a rifle to my pack like that and be able through my kind of bush, haha. I’d get stuck somewhere
Old 12-28-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
LH CZ 557 in 308 at P&D.

That is a gorgeous gun that would be in my safe if it were right handed. There is nothing better about a BLR than any part of a beautiful rifle like this.
Jeebus Cripes fellas, its apparently not the guy's first rodeo... and he wants a friggin' BLR!! I'd bet that there are far less practical purchases in 99% of the gun safes out there, so I dont really get the direction this thread is going myself.

Now, just my humble opinion, but if I were going to get myself a BLR it would definitely be a short action. Having handled both, I far prefer the way the short action with the 20" BBL handles/feels. IMO lever guns should feel like lever guns, even when they arent really lever guns. If you were to broaden you're search to include .308 and 7-08 calibers you might find you have more options.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:35 PM

My advice would be to have the dealer of your choice contact Browning and get an ETA for one. There is no inventory at the Montreal warehouse.
The last Browning that I enquired about was going to be roughly 9 months delivery.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Now, just my humble opinion, but if I were going to get myself a BLR it would definitely be a short action. Having handled both, I far prefer the way the short action with the 20" BBL handles/feels. IMO lever guns should feel like lever guns, even when they arent really lever guns. If you were to broaden you're search to include .308 and 7-08 calibers you might find you have more options.
I surely share this sentiment as well.

I haven’t found any in short action either, aside from blued .308 at… I think it was Abbotsford’s Cabela’s. But I was obviously tired and confused yesterday, lol, as it can be seen from my first couple of posts in this thread.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
My advice would be to have the dealer of your choice contact Browning and get an ETA for one. There is no inventory at the Montreal warehouse.
The last Browning that I enquired about was going to be roughly 9 months delivery.
When I worked at a gun shoppe there was no contacting Browning and no one knew an ETA on anything. You book a rifle when the sales rep came calling, and you got pricing at that time, since the BLR’s are hit and miss, very few get put in on the booking order, and then the orders simply trickled in on a hap hazard basis. Browning was the absolute worst one to deal with on this item.

If his heart is set on a BLR and it’s the doldrums season between peak buying time and putting in a booking order by shoppe’s, I’d suggest the OP just get hold of a Browning dealer and place an order and be patient.

There’s all sorts of supply chain issues these days, and his timing is at the ultimate worst point in the cycle to begin with, so, ask, book, pay whatever for a deposit, and wait for the call.
Or.
Explore other options and models.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-28-2021, 03:59 PM

The OP posted that he couldn’t find one. Do any of you guys know when they are coming in? Remember, he wants steel, pistol grip, and in 30-06

And he said he’s a lefty, a common reason people buy levers.

So if I feel like offering himself something else to think about, as he may not be able to find what he’s looking for anyhow, I will do so. Last time I checked, I didn’t have to ask permission for that.

Furthermore, how many threads have we seen in the last number of months where guys are looking for gunsmiths to work on BLRs?

I’m not trying to be a jerk to him or derail his thread, just trying to give him something to think about.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I surely share this sentiment as well.

I haven’t found any in short action either, aside from blued .308 at… I think it was Abbotsford’s Cabela’s. But I was obviously tired and confused yesterday, lol, as it can be seen from my first couple of posts in this thread.
It might be a good idea to contact some of the less known gun shops, I know that for quite a few years the Dapp service station had a stainless BLR in .308, I think Slave Lake Honda had a blued one in 7-08 last time I was in there, the Kinuso Mercantile has them sometimes. They might not be exactly what you are looking for, and I cant guarantee those particular rifles are still there, but I think calling those types of places might be one's best bet.

Basically, just Google "Gun Stores Whitecourt" etc and start making some phone calls.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-28-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:32 PM

I'm a lefty and have hunted exclusively with BLRs for years. I've taken Pronghorn, Moose and Mule/White Tail at ranges between 400 to 15 yards. I have a stainless take down in 30-06 and white gold medallion in 270 wsm and get MOA performance from both. I absolutely love hunting with those rifles. If it's the rifle you're looking for, my bet is you'll love hunting with them too.

I bought my short action from The Gun Dealer in Macadam NB. I see they have a 30-06 and 7mm-08 in stock but neither are stainless unfortunately.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Guys. He didn't ask to get talked out of a BLR. I know most of you and you have all bought guns just beause you wanted one. I can't tell you how many hundreds of time I did it too. Guns are REALLY easy to resell if you ever want to.

If a guy has an itch, let's help him scratch it by helping him locate a stainless BLR in 30-06.
Lol, exactly!
I own and very much like my BLR 81 in 7mm-08. I grew up with a Winchester model 88 so have a fondness for lever actions, my BLR is more accurate than that old model 88. I like the short actions myself. As far as a lightening quick follow up shot that’s not a reality in my opinion unless it’s like in the westerns shooting from the hip! Certainly they are a high quality gun, and not a bad investment or poor choice. If that’s what the op wants to buy he should go ahead and buy it. I love mine don’t see ever getting rid of it.

Ken
Old 12-28-2021, 07:15 PM

I like thank everyone for their input, I gained a lot of information about the gun and how to purchase. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:22 PM

I like to update you guys on my search. I change my mind and order a left handed browning x bolt medallion in 30-06 from latulippe in Quebec. Should arrive in a few days. Excited. Thanks everyone for the advice. Now I have figure out what scope to put on it . Probably go optic’s forum and ask some questions. Thanks
Old 01-07-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike edward View Post
I like to update you guys on my search. I change my mind and order a left handed browning x bolt medallion in 30-06 from latulippe in Quebec. Should arrive in a few days. Excited. Thanks everyone for the advice. Now I have figure out what scope to put on it . Probably go optic’s forum and ask some questions. Thanks
Spikester, I think you made yourself an excellent decision that you will be happy with in the long run. Just my thoughts.

I would say if you start a thread about a scope for it, be sure to tell us your style of hunting and budget.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:29 PM

Glad u found a gun you like. Long ways from a BLR but there really is no such thing as a gun I ever regretted buying. There are quite a few I regret not buying. 😁

There are a ton of recent threads on which scope to buy. Read those and u won't need to do much other research. Pretty much boils down to Leupold or Swaro.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:49 PM

Default McCarbo trigger spring

Spike,

Now that you have your X Bolt on the way, spend another $20 plus shipping for this trigger spring. It really does make a difference. You can thank me later

https://store.theshootingcentre.com/...er-spring-kit/
Old 01-07-2022, 09:02 PM

On brownings website it says the blr is discontinued.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:50 AM

^ Maybe some models (like medallion, perhaps), but they definitely aren’t discontinued. Currently in production:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...ifles/blr.html

OP, thanks for the update. More often than not (way more often) people just disappear. I have a x-bolt in .243. A solid rifle and mine didn’t need any work on the trigger either (the blr, on the other hand, was pretty stiff).
Old 01-08-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Spike,

Now that you have your X Bolt on the way, spend another $20 plus shipping for this trigger spring. It really does make a difference. You can thank me later

That spring addresses the largest flaw with the X- Bolt.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Spike,

Couldn’t agree more
Old 01-08-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Jeebus Cripes fellas, its apparently not the guy's first rodeo... and he wants a friggin' BLR!! I'd bet that there are far less practical purchases in 99% of the gun safes out there, so I dont really get the direction this thread is going myself.
Interesting outcome. Funny how that works.