Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
According to my Nosler book it is 98% .
Physically, it is definitely not compressed. Which manual are you referencing?
The Nosler Manual, actually.

Nosler #7 doesn't list IMR4831. Nosler #6 lists 55.0gr IMR4831 as 100% case capacity. That would make 56.5gr a compressed load. I happen to load 55 grains myself and so I know for a fact that it is 100% just as the manual states. I would suggest you should review your manual again, as I have just done...
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
165 grain nosler e-tips, pushed by 46.5 grains of varget. Through my xbolt 30-06
Same load used in a 308, seems a bit light for 30-06.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
The Nosler Manual, actually.

Nosler #7 doesn't list IMR4831. Nosler #6 lists 55.0gr IMR4831 as 100% case capacity. That would make 56.5gr a compressed load. I happen to load 55 grains myself and so I know for a fact that it is 100% just as the manual states. I would suggest you should review your manual again, as I have just done...
Are you guys sure your using the same make or lot of brass?

I've seen less than compressed loads become quite compressed when the make and sometimes even the lot (usually many years difference) of brass got changed.

At the end of the day as long as the burn rate and resultant pressures are within spec there is nothing big bad or scary about a compressed load, sometimes it even helps with accuracy as the case is always filled the same way no matter what.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Started shooting a 30.06 Ruger model 70 in the mid 90's, played with different bullets, powder etc. Settled in on 51 grains of IMR 4064 pushing a 165 BTSP Hornady out the barrel.
Since then its that one bullet/powder combo for everything. I've shot from coyotes/wolf/bear/antelope/deer/moose/elk/Buffalo (Buffalo suppose to be 180 grain minimum.) Most are 1 shot kills, this combo for me is good all around, may not be optimal for everything, but is consistant and works.

1 Rifle 1 Bullet combo, over 50 kills not including coyotes.
It works!!!!!

Last edited by greywolf; 12-15-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Default Hornady Interlocks

We have no problem finding a blood trail with these Hornady Interlocks either. Not that it goes very far! I use the flat base models myself!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM

54 grains IMR 4064 in front of any 150 grain nosler bullet with a cci 200 primer..
Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 AM

I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket here, and caution anybody taking loadings off the internet to confir with at least 2 sources of bonfide data before embarking on trying any persons pet load.

Fellers, some of these loads are pretty stout, and therefore should be approached cautiously when used in another rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket here, and caution anybody taking loadings off the internet to confir with at least 2 sources of bonfide data before embarking on trying any persons pet load.

Fellers, some of these loads are pretty stout, and therefore should be approached cautiously when used in another rifle.
good point...
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM

165 gr nosler accubond with 56.5 gr of h4350, Winchester brass and fed GM large rifle primers.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM

I loaded just about everything for the 30-06 the two best loads were IMR 4831sc 55grians with a 165 SGK BTSP 2875 FPS and the other load was RL 19 56.5 grains with a Hornedy 165SST 2831 FPS. The SGK BTSP was .64 of a inch and the SST was .87 of a inch out of a Browning Abolt with a 22" barrel.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Default 30-06 loads

My fave for many years for several different '06 rifles has been 58.0 gr IMR 4350 pushing Nosler 180 gr Partitions at 2850. I use Winchester brass and CCI 200 primers. This is a load from an old Speer manual (before lawyers wrote manuals).

My Winchester 70 really likes 63.0 gr RL 22 (yeah, I know that is over max in my manual) pushing the same 180 Nosler. Haven't chrono'd that load yet but I am expecting 2900+, plus it shoots very small groups. No pressure signs at all.

Note factory 300 Win mag ammo is listed at 2950 FPS and usually is short of that.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 AM

Hey all.... Mind a newbie asking a few questions ?.... Made my first kill this year on a lil whitetail buck and I'm very new to guns and shooting... My focus was to fill a moose draw.... I have a Stevens (savage) 06 and I was shooting 180 grain... So it seems a lot of you prefer 165 in your guns.. So is anyone else shooting the same as me?... I know 180 is overkill for deer but being as my target was a moose it's what I went with .....I plan on doing LOTS of shooting this year to really learn my gun at all different loads including some hand loads ( from the help of my mentor)... So I guess what I'm asking is what would be a good start for me right from a smaller grain load for coyotes right up to the bigger ones ?..& like I said I have a stack of boxes of 180 grain that did the job ....( sorry forgot the brand name but it's in an orange box... I'll update after I check)

I'm kinda intreaged to pump a few 220's through it

Thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
This is a load from an old Speer manual (before lawyers wrote manuals).
First, Speer data is not relevant to Partitions. They do not have a solid lead core like Speer bullets. The partition is less compressible than lead. It's like having a band from an e-tip in the middle of the bullet driving up pressures.

Second, modern loading data isn't lawyered up. We simply have better pressure testing equipment these days.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
My Winchester 70 really likes 63.0 gr RL 22 (yeah, I know that is over max in my manual) pushing the same 180 Nosler. Haven't chrono'd that load yet but I am expecting 2900+, plus it shoots very small groups. No pressure signs at all.
If you're truly shooting at that speed or above, me thinks you're way above safe pressures. The rifle may digest it ok for awhile, but I'm guessing you will have very short brass life, and will develop headspace issues over time.

I'm all for loading on the higher end, as long as accuracy is acceptable, and repeatable, but how many times have you heard of 180g bullets going that fast out of an 06? I'm guessing your rifle has a 24" barrel as well.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, I'd back that load off at least a 100fps.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
If you're truly shooting at that speed or above, me thinks you're way above safe pressures. The rifle may digest it ok for awhile, but I'm guessing you will have very short brass life, and will develop headspace issues over time.

I'm all for loading on the higher end, as long as accuracy is acceptable, and repeatable, but how many times have you heard of 180g bullets going that fast out of an 06? I'm guessing your rifle has a 24" barrel as well.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, I'd back that load off at least a 100fps.
Thats assuming the chronograph is accurate,
and yes, Homesteader makes a good point here.

One thing I have found with the Win model 70 (atleast in the 308 and 30-06) they have plenty of freebore and chambers fitted on the loose side. Neck sizing only, a proper fitting handload from a model 70 will not chamber in most other brand guns. With the excessive freebore I found I could load 1 to 2 grains above (book) max before pressures became an issue. At that point my choronograph indicated avg velocities.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post

Note factory 300 Win mag ammo is listed at 2950 FPS and usually is short of that.
That is impressive. I may try and work some of those loads with my ruger!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Yes be careful boysngirls, take my method...fill a big bowl with IMR4831 dip your primed cases, yes fill em to the top and jam a 180 Sierra boatail on it all til it stops crunching. OF COURSE I'M KIDDING!!!!

It's been said so many times by so many wise people, start with a recent book, reduce max by at least 10% and work up slowly, every rifle is different!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=Fishnafterwork;1754827]Hey all.... Mind a newbie asking a few questions ?.... Made my first kill this year on a lil whitetail buck and I'm very new to guns and shooting... My focus was to fill a moose draw.... I have a Stevens (savage) 06 and I was shooting 180 grain... So it seems a lot of you prefer 165 in your guns.. So is anyone else shooting the same as me?... I know 180 is overkill for deer but being as my target was a moose it's what I went with .....I plan on doing LOTS of shooting this year to really learn my gun at all different loads including some hand loads ( from the help of my mentor)... So I guess what I'm asking is what would be a good start for me right from a smaller grain load for coyotes right up to the bigger ones ?..& like I said I have a stack of boxes of 180 grain that did the job ....( sorry forgot the brand name but it's in an orange box... I'll update after I check)

I'm kinda intreaged to pump a few 220's through it

My Husky wont shoot anything really well other than 180's and 200's at least not after trying many many loads...oh well, the 180's it shoots shoot really well, very fast, very reliable and what exactly is overkill? Not having to track an animal? You want it to stop soon!