Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Default seadoo morons rant

So me and a buddy are fishing Calling Lake lastnight. Not as many boats as usual. 4 boats anchored out in front of the launch jigging and us trolling just down from them. two guys come roaring across the lake at 50mph right through the group of 4 boats. They stop just past the fisherman and i can here them talking that it's time to go back. Also hear one of them complain that one of the fisherman gestured at them (rightly so). Then they fire up and do doughnuts right in the middle of those 4 boats again! Unbelievable! Then they roar past us. One guy for sure over our lines. Front guy waves at us.!!?? My buddy quickly grabbed a rod with a heavy jig on it and cast it in their direction as they go by (maybe not the best plan). I think they got the hint. These idiots only had the whole lake to enjoy!!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Those suits they wear must cut off the blood supply to their 'nads cause it's seems like it's a common complaint!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM

This might qualify. Tragic outcome, and I'm thinking buddy might lose his taste for ever riding one again.

http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/local/a..._girl/765c6b8d
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Isn't just limited to the Seadoos...

On the August long, there was someone who thought it would be a good idea to take people tubing on Upper Kananaskis. He obviously had no concern about the wake he was creating, especially when he made his passes past the boat launch over and over and over again...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 AM

I thought that everyone knew fishing boats have a special magnetic property that attracts the fibre glass of seadoos and jet skis. Either that or something changes in the brain of a seadoo operator as soon as they touch the throttle that makes the urge to harass and annoy fishermen irresistible.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
I thought that everyone knew fishing boats have a special magnetic property that attracts the fibre glass of seadoos and jet skis. Either that or something changes in the brain of a seadoo operator as soon as they touch the throttle that makes the urge to harass and annoy fishermen irresistible.
...and apparently the rubber in float tubes attract both the fiberglass and aluminum in boats...

I think the real attraction is...if you think you are cool and doing something really interesting and fun...then you want to go where you will be seen by your adoring public.

I bet you the demographic on the seadoos is 16-24 year old males.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
...and apparently the rubber in float tubes attract both the fiberglass and aluminum in boats...

I think the real attraction is...if you think you are cool and doing something really interesting and fun...then you want to go where you will be seen by your adoring public.

I bet you the demographic on the seadoos is 16-24 year old males.
thats the absolute truth. it isnt cool unless someone is watching.

the rest of the story is that they are a pretty boring ride on calm flat water. about the only real fun thing to do on them is to jump the wakes of other boats. they constantly buzz around the ski boats in particular which is annoying as hell as most skiers want calm water. as usual, it only takes a couple of peanut brain fools to have all of those guys labelled as troublemakers.....both the jets buzzing boats, and the skiers burning the coves where the fisherman are.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM

People who tube and seadoo around fisherman and docks do it for the same reason people have loud mufflers on their bikes...the "look at how cool I am factor" ....they are obviously compensating for something...
Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
People who tube and seadoo around fisherman and docks do it for the same reason people have loud mufflers on their bikes...the "look at how cool I am factor" ....they are obviously compensating for something...
wee willie?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
wee willie?
Just sayn....maybe Mum and Pa didnt show em enough love as a child.....I woulda bounced a big ol 5 of diamonds of their head...
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 PM

I thought the Boaters licence was supposed solve these problems

Turns out it is very similar to a auto drivers licence, you only need to know the rules on test day.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I see what you mean but I think you are wrong about the bikes.
Most bikers will tell you that "loud pipes save lives".

I don't ride but I do appreciate the advantage of hearing a bike before he pops into view. As long as they don't crack the throttle on residential streets...I have no issue with them.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Default Skiers

You do know that on windy days there are only so many calm spots. If you water ski you have money invested in your equipment and your are going to use it. Especially in Canada where there is such a short water ski season.

I do agree that some of these guys are pure idiots though.

Very few ski, tube or seadoo in the early AM or late PM. So you can avoid them if you wish.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Are you serious? so many calm spots? on a huge lake? when the idea of skiers and tubers is to run across the wake a little bit of choppy water would be too much trouble...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you serious? so many calm spots? on a huge lake? when the idea of skiers and tubers is to run across the wake a little bit of choppy water would be too much trouble...
x2

I guess they are blasting at mach-chicken to get to the calm spots?

It's just a matter of courtesy.

You don't pass by canoes and leave them a huge wake to deal with... you don't cross a guys trolling rig and you don't own the whole lake or get priority because you spent more money than the guy in the 12 foot car topper out drowning worms.

Its just a matter of giving people some space or taking your circus elsewhere if there are too many fishing etc already.

To be honest I'd like to see seadoos especially banned on sport fishing lakes altogether or restricted to designated areas where possible.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
x2
To be honest I'd like to see seadoos especially banned on sport fishing lakes altogether or restricted to designated areas where possible.
that's what seadoo and jetski owners say about fishermen.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean but I think you are wrong about the bikes.
Most bikers will tell you that "loud pipes save lives".

I don't ride but I do appreciate the advantage of hearing a bike before he pops into view. As long as they don't crack the throttle on residential streets...I have no issue with them.
Then you'll have no problem with me duct taping my horn down full time "for safety"!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM

tubers hate skiers
skiers hate wakeboarders
wakeboarders hate jetskiers
everyone hates jetskiers
fishermen hate everyone...

The unfortunate thing about living in alberta is there's only so many lakes And there's more and more users every year. I have been using the lakes for 25 years, and quite frankly in alberta, it isn't enjoyable anymore.

Your best bet is hitting the lake early. When we go, we are on the lake by 8am and off by 10am, then we might try again after supper. The only thing we do during the day is tube or swim off the boats.

Jetskiers typically wait until the lake get rougher and busier so they can jump the wakes.

An interesting concept would be having one sheriff per lake on the weekends. I bet they would pay for themselves very quickly.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 PM
grind stone

Quote:
Front guy waves at us.!!?? My buddy quickly grabbed a rod with a heavy jig on it and cast it in their direction as they go by (maybe not the best plan). I think they got the hint. These idiots only had the whole lake to enjoy!!
if they are morons for what they have done what dose that make your buddy for doing what he did !!!two wrong will never make a right .

Last edited by grind stone; 08-28-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
that's what seadoo and jetski owners say about fishermen.
Jesus was a fisherman.
Guess who gonna get banned 1st.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Then you'll have no problem with me duct taping my horn down full time "for safety"!

Bikes are just not as easy to see as cars and they do sometimes catch drivers un-aware.
Anyway...I don't mind loud exhausts if the guys drive like normal people and don't rev the snot out of their engines....2 wheels or 4.

You can do whatever you like with your horn and duct tape but I think you will get tired of the sound faster than anyone else.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grind stone View Post
if they are morons for what they have done what dose that make your buddy for doing what he did !!!two wrong will never make a right .
So what kind of jet ski do you own....hey if I hooked one id set the hook and hope it doesnt shake the hook loose.....
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM

One day I was enjoying a nice quiet day of still hunting along a seldom used trail. Wouldn't you know, a bunch of people on quads came screaming down the trail....just because they could!

I hate personal water crafts as much as anyone but they are to waterways, what quads are to the landscape!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Jesus was a fisherman.
Guess who gonna get banned 1st.
Jesus? Jesus Gonzales? I met him on the Oregon coast, nice little messican

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

as long as they stick to the rules theres not alot can be done. We fish mayatan a lot because it WAS a nice quiet lake not big but quiet. But now we have a fool who lives on the lake and starts ripping around pulling a tube around or just ripping around in his boat even though the whole lake is a 12k speed limit
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
This might qualify. Tragic outcome, and I'm thinking buddy might lose his taste for ever riding one again.

http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/local/a..._girl/765c6b8d
That story really doesn't elaborate on what happened! Just says they crashed, doesn't say who is at fault! And I would imagine that either way the blame goes, that poor guy will have to live with that on his shoulders for the rest of his life! Heavy burden to carry I'm sure! I would be devastated if it happened to me, whether it was my fault or not!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
That story really doesn't elaborate on what happened! Just says they crashed, doesn't say who is at fault! And I would imagine that either way the blame goes, that poor guy will have to live with that on his shoulders for the rest of his life! Heavy burden to carry I'm sure! I would be devastated if it happened to me, whether it was my fault or not!
Just said on the news the brother driving the waverunner looked away at another Personal watercraft and ran into the boat. tragic accident. No matter what the story the results are devastating
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Guess you never salomned before. The wake is a pain, the idea is to cut as low to the water as possible, no waves is best.
Cannot blame the skiers for not being educated unless you take the time to educate yourself.
No Winners.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 PM

These people in sea doos and wake boats have every right to be out there... Just as the fishermen do.. Enjoying the outdoors isn't limited to catching fish out on the lakes.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 AM
grind stone

Quote:
So what kind of jet ski do you own....hey if I hooked one id set the hook and hope it doesnt shake the hook loose.....
Well ok Good luck.