Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Its funny one night I was walking home early in the morning. I heard some noise in the bushes then heard stop or the dog will attack, I stumbled I then heard stop or I will shoot put your hands up. I complied with sorry I am slowly moving my hands up.
The Officer identified himself, told me to lift my shirt and turn around slowly. I complied. He had his gun pointed at me and his dog leash in the other one. Once he realized I was not armed he asked the usual where was I going, where did I come from, what was my name and do I have ID. I complied politely with his orders. Turns out there was a sexual assault a few blocks over and I fit the height description of the suspect.

Next Driving down the highway, Police Officer pulls me over. Come over the loud speaker to open my door from the outside, get out slowly with my hands in the air, lift my shirt, slowly turn around. Guess what I complied, no complaining or swearing at the Officer. Turns out he pulled over the wrong truck, he apologized. Oh ya he had his gun pointed at me during this time. When asked why he said his closet back up was 45mins away and traffic stops were getting dangerous an he was to close to retirement to get injured on the job. I shook his hand and went on my way.

Pulled over one night in my car, yup Police had guns out. car fit a description (dark Honda Accord) of a group of people committing B&Es. (mine was Brown). After they approached my car and seeing me alone and in Uniform they apologized. Said have a good night and explained why they pulled me over the way they did.

Driving on the highway, pulled over for speeding 115 in a 110 zone. Officer asks for Reg and Insurance. I reached into the glove box, had the documents in a zip lock bag. She pulls her gun and starts freaking out at me. Saying get out of the truck. I politely said I would but she was blocking my door. She backed away still telling me to get out. I reach for the door handle and she says stop. walks up and asks what in the baggy. I said reg and insurance. She then calms down and eludes to me being a drug dealer. She needs to search my truck. I said sure but I ant no drug dealer. I didnt freak out I complied with her instructions. She realize she messed up a bit. Only searched my glove box looking for joints. I was laughing at this point.

My point in all of these is that If I had of responded similar to what this guy in the original post did I more then likely would of been shot, biting or both. all over misunderstandings. I did not sue, I did not complain. I told them all I hope they have a better day.
I wonder if you’d have the same attitude if they arrested your wife, arrested your brother, tore off your car door, let your kids run around naked outside while you’re cuffed face down in the dirt, hauled you to the station for a few hours with no shirt then said “oops, wrong guy” then said “good luck on finding your way home”???

I highly doubt it.

Remember, this guy did nothing illegal, he was in his house tending to his children when all this went down. The cops could have done the exact same thing they did to you, question him on the scene before turning it into a scene. It’s one thing to secure the area, they went beyond that. They were probably psssst at his attitude so they did the old “Oh ya? Well I’ll show you what I can do! Kicking his fence down is clearly abuse, and an example of the attitude the cops had that night.

It’s acceptable for a civilian to lose hose cool, but it’s not acceptable for a cop to lose there cool. They are put in a protected position of power, they have rights the average citizens don’t have, they have training to handle volition situations. When they show that they can’t handle themselves in a professional manner then it’s time to answer phone calls at the police station instead of losing your cool on the public.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I wonder if you’d have the same attitude if they arrested your wife, arrested your brother, tore off your car door, let your kids run around naked outside while you’re cuffed face down in the dirt, hauled you to the station for a few hours with no shirt then said “oops, wrong guy” then said “good luck on finding your way home”???

I highly doubt it.

Remember, this guy did nothing illegal, he was in his house tending to his children when all this went down. The cops could have done the exact same thing they did to you, question him on the scene before turning it into a scene. It’s one thing to secure the area, they went beyond that. They were probably psssst at his attitude so they did the old “Oh ya? Well I’ll show you what I can do! Kicking his fence down is clearly abuse, and an example of the attitude the cops had that night.

It’s acceptable for a civilian to lose hose cool, but it’s not acceptable for a cop to lose there cool. They are put in a protected position of power, they have rights the average citizens don’t have, they have training to handle volition situations. When they show that they can’t handle themselves in a professional manner then it’s time to answer phone calls at the police station instead of losing your cool on the public.
It's all about their failing recruiting standards, the element of physical intimidation is long gone and they make it up by pointing their gun. Still shaking my head about the Mountie with a neck tatoo.

Grizz
Old 07-12-2019, 09:00 AM

Perhaps the RCMP should put more effort into finding out where the 813 firearms that disappeared from the care of the police went? How do the police lose a machine gun, and 13 submachine guns? These firearms are far more of a threat to the public, than two people shooting ground squirrels with 22s.

https://dennisryoung.ca/wp-content/u...uly-3-2019.pdf
Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I highly doubt it.

after 4 years they get paid at least 96 grand

yes 96 grand plus benefits. That was on a cop board at the sask police station 2 years ago at 10pm at night when I reported a hit and run at the hotel in waterous

Hotel employee found at midnight, never charged. 10 witnesses. what a joke

so 96 grand and they don’t know how to think
Old 07-12-2019, 10:19 AM

I understand the RCMPs need to respond appropriately to calls, but this was entirely inappropriate. The first question should be "is it legal to discharge firearms at that location?". The response to gunshots on a rural property needs to be 100% different than reported gunshots behind the hotel in town.

Once again proof we are guilty until proven innocent in this country...... Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 AM

I think you guys are missing the two MAIN POINTS in why they responded the way they did.
1 CALLER SAYS HEY I AM BEING SHOT AT FROM MY NEIGHBOURS.
2 RCMP OFFICER CALLS HIM TO GIVE INSTRUCTIONS AND ASK WHATS HAPPENNING. MAN HANGS UP THE PHONE.

Simple.

In any of my situations had I of not followed direction I could have been shot or attacked by the dog. GUESS WHAT I FOLLOWED ALL THEIR DIRECTIONS TO THE TEEEEEE. I did not argue, close my window, refuse to get out of my car, or start walking away. If I had done any of that things in my situation would have been much different.
But since their are so many Police haters on this site who cannot see past the simple fact that their was a shots fired call and a phone hang up from the suspect. I guess there is no moving forward. Dam the Police for taking a shots fired call like and acutal threat. Dam the Police for talking a call hang up as a threat.
Dam the Police for responding to a call that had potential to escalate. Simply by the suspects actions.

Next time hopefully they show up to the next shots fired call with balloons cake and timmies coffee for all to share and talk about the events that transpired. Oh and the spit along with the wood so any and all can roast the pig ...... for next time it might not be the ****ty neighbour making a frivolous call.

The focus should be on why the neighbour made the call and what is going to happen to them.
I think they should be charged and forced to move from their location.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Here’s my .02 on the situation, nobody is really talking about the two guys shooting gophers and how they dealt with the cops when they first showed up on the scene maybe the situation was escalated because of them and therefore it doesn’t help matters when the HO comes out of the house when he is instructed to and is yelling and screaming like in his video. Maybe the HO escalated the situation more than was necessary and maybe it was already escalated due to the way the guys hunting gophers handled it when the cops first showed up. There’s always more than one side of the story and it’s hard to really figure what actually made the situation what it was. Maybe the two guys hunting weren’t as responsible of hunters as the HO said they were in his video.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Here’s my .02 on the situation, nobody is really talking about the two guys shooting gophers and how they dealt with the cops when they first showed up on the scene maybe the situation was escalated because of them and therefore it doesn’t help matters when the HO comes out of the house when he is instructed to and is yelling and screaming like in his video. Maybe the HO escalated the situation more than was necessary and maybe it was already escalated due to the way the guys hunting gophers handled it when the cops first showed up. There’s always more than one side of the story and it’s hard to really figure what actually made the situation what it was. Maybe the two guys hunting weren’t as responsible of hunters as the HO said they were in his video.
That's a lot of maybe's in order to justify the actions of the Police. Even though they knew full well that the homeowner did not match the description, they chose to drag him to jail anyways. Do you think there's any chance that they might have done that just to show him who's boss? No, the Police would never do that..... Maybe some people refuse to accept that Police Officers are just people wearing a uniform and are not some sort of special people with superpowers just because they took a bit of training at Depot. Maybe they abuse their power sometimes. Maybe some people seek out that position just so they can intimidate people because they were bullied as kids. See, lots of maybes can be used on both sides; but without any proof, they are just speculation.

Maybe, just maybe the guy is telling the truth.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
That's a lot of maybe's in order to justify the actions of the Police. Even though they knew full well that the homeowner did not match the description, they chose to drag him to jail anyways. Do you think there's any chance that they might have done that just to show him who's boss? No, the Police would never do that..... Maybe some people refuse to accept that Police Officers are just people wearing a uniform and are not some sort of special people with superpowers just because they took a bit of training at Depot. Maybe they abuse their power sometimes. Maybe some people seek out that position just so they can intimidate people because they were bullied as kids. See, lots of maybes can be used on both sides; but without any proof, they are just speculation.

Maybe, just maybe the guy is telling the truth.
That is a lot of maybe’s and maybe just maybe he is telling the truth but nobody has gotten any story from the hunters and the brother which were the only ones charged with something in the end of this all. I agree the cops were a little aggressive but like I say we have no idea what the situation was before HO went outside and started videoing and there is a lot of gaps in his story.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think you guys are missing the two MAIN POINTS in why they responded the way they did.
2 RCMP OFFICER CALLS HIM TO GIVE INSTRUCTIONS AND ASK WHATS HAPPENNING. MAN HANGS UP THE PHONE.

Simple.

In any of my situations had I of not followed direction I could have been shot or attacked by the dog. GUESS WHAT I FOLLOWED ALL THEIR DIRECTIONS TO THE TEEEEEE. I did not argue, close my window, refuse to get out of my car, or start walking away. If I had done any of that things in my situation would have been much different.
But since their are so many Police haters on this site who cannot see past the simple fact that their was a shots fired call and a phone hang up from the suspect. I guess there is no moving forward. Dam the Police for taking a shots fired call like and acutal threat. Dam the Police for talking a call hang up as a threat.
Dam the Police for responding to a call that had potential to escalate. Simply by the suspects actions.

Next time hopefully they show up to the next shots fired call with balloons cake and timmies coffee for all to share and talk about the events that transpired. Oh and the spit along with the wood so any and all can roast the pig ...... for next time it might not be the ****ty neighbour making a frivolous call.

The focus should be on why the neighbour made the call and what is going to happen to them.
First off, the guy DID NOT RESIST ARREST, ya he was upset that his house was surrounded by swat while he was bathing his children. He had no clue what was going on when he got the first call from police, looked outside and saw all the weapons pointed at his house and most likely had a “wholly f...” moment, most likely was terrified and thought I had better let my buddies with guns know sht is serious and to put their guns down. That might explain the hang up, and it’s should have been taken into consideration after they had him cuffed and heard his side of the story.

I’m not buying the “oh poor cops dam them for doing their job”, because they didn’t conduct themselves in a professional manner period. Kicking down his fence, destroying property because they can, and do, do it “in the name of the law”. I can say with 100% certainty that if the cop is kicking in gates on his farm after being instructed on how to use it properly, that he’s destroyed other people’s property “in the name of the law” and gotten away with it. That shows abuse of power.

I agree 100% about the neighbor
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM

Where are you guys getting the info that they knew the homeowner didn’t match the description? I must be missing something.

According to the globe and mail article I posted on the previous page, it appears they were coming for whoever was in the house. One of the shooters said that the cops did not know they were there. Sounds to me like there was no description of the “suspect” or “suspects”.

The cops did not know there was someone shooting gophers. For all I know, they received a call saying that “there are people on my neighbour’s property who are shooting at me”. And maybe it even happened that way; maybe they did shoot in her/his direction, not necessarily knowing that a person was even there. Who knows. Also, why does it matter that they had “only” .22? Bet you .22 is the most desirable caliber among criminals because you can’t beat 5-10 cents a shot deal and they are plentiful. What I am saying is, it does not matter what caliber they were shooting.

Two sides to every story (at least two). Seems that many here refuse to give a benefit of the doubt to one of the sides: some to police, others to the cops. Don’t think either is fair.

Many are giving the same 3-4 examples of cops gone bad (and it is fair), but no one had mentioned how many crimes have been committed yesterday and how many of them were violent, maybe how many involved firearms and how many shots were fired. I am not justifying the actions of the police being violent and inappropriate. It just seems to me that circumstances may have been such that their actions were appropriate and the more is revealed, the more it seems so to me.

I agree with New Hunter that the cop who pulled the gun and justified it by close retirement should retire early and he is a liability to the force and society.

Ctd, sounds like you live in Red Deer or Edmonton, lol. That’s a lot of stuff to happen to one person.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
the guy DID NOT RESIST ARREST
He did. He hung up the phone.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Then he came out with his hands up, no physical resistance. He made them angry when he hung up on them, then they took it out on him once they had him cuffed.

If he did then he would have been charged with resisting arrest. He wasn’t.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Then he came out with his hands up, no physical resistance. He made them angry when he hung up on them, then they took it out on him once they had him cuffed.

If he did then he would have been charged with resisting arrest. He wasn’t.
Are you saying they beat him up? "They took it out on him"
Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you saying they beat him up? "They took it out on him"
I’m pretty sure in NONE of my posts did I mention or elude to him being beaten. Putting him through the ringer, destroying his property, taking him for a ride downtown, locking him up for a few hours is what they did when it could have been settled right there on the spot. They could have gotten the neighbor there the very second they had him cuffed for a positive ID.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:

OMFG.....

Just when you think things can't get dumber.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
First off, the guy DID NOT RESIST ARREST, ya he was upset that his house was surrounded by swat while he was bathing his children. He had no clue what was going on when he got the first call from police, looked outside and saw all the weapons pointed at his house and most likely had a “wholly f...” moment, most likely was terrified and thought I had better let my buddies with guns know sht is serious and to put their guns down. That might explain the hang up, and it’s should have been taken into consideration after they had him cuffed and heard his side of the story.

I’m not buying the “oh poor cops dam them for doing their job”, because they didn’t conduct themselves in a professional manner period. Kicking down his fence, destroying property because they can, and do, do it “in the name of the law”. I can say with 100% certainty that if the cop is kicking in gates on his farm after being instructed on how to use it properly, that he’s destroyed other people’s property “in the name of the law” and gotten away with it. That shows abuse of power.

I agree 100% about the neighbor

I am going to say you are 100%wrong in saying he had no clue what was going on.

The man said when he seen the multiple.Police cars at his neighbours house he told his friends it was time to stop shooting. If everything was legal why would he tell them that. (Hebhad to suspect something).
Then why hang up on the Police when they called?

One of the missing keys in the puzzle is what was said to him by the Police Officer in the initial call? What caused him to hang up the phone.

It will be interesting to see what happens when this all comes out. I hope all the audio video etc are released on this one.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am going to say you are 100%wrong in saying he had no clue what was going on.

The man said when he seen the multiple.Police cars at his neighbours house he told his friends it was time to stop shooting. If everything was legal why would he tell them that. (Hebhad to suspect something).
Then why hang up on the Police when they called?

One of the missing keys in the puzzle is what was said to him by the Police Officer in the initial call? What caused him to hang up the phone.

It will be interesting to see what happens when this all comes out. I hope all the audio video etc are released on this one.

If my buddies are in the back 40 shooting gophers legally and I see the swat team show up, I don’t care how legal it is, I’m going to tell them to put the guns down. What do you think the swat would do if they heard shooting next to where they were set up??? Imagine that???? Look what they did to the guy bathing his kids! I can only imagine what would have happened if they shot a gopher while the cops were there......

Seeing how they were only charged with Hunting in an unsafe manner leads me to beleive that it was legal to hunt there.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
OMFG.....

Just when you think things can't get dumber.
Lol.

Usually, I appreciate your comments.

Active shooter situation is what was (edit: not exactly, but you probably see my point). Not really sure how hard it is to see that. The fact that there were no guns in the house does not change that.

What couldn’t have been dumber is hanging up the phone seeing the seriousness of the situation, refusing to come out because the kids are in the bath for half an hour, yelling and swearing, thinking that you will go and explain to the cops (maybe even with a gun in your hands) what is going on, etc. All of that was pretty dumb.

The neighbour appears to be the problem and what she told the cops.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-12-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Seeing how they were only charged with Hunting in an unsafe manner leads me to beleive that it was legal to hunt there.
Question is were they hunting in an unsafe manner and enough so to make the neighbour paranoid or did she make the **** up to get even with the guy.

I just don’t understand why question only one side’s actions and not the others. Lots of information, and probably the main pieces of what really transpired are missing.

Also, he said that he was bathing his kids in one video. In the other he said that he was unloading groceries with his wife and the plan was to bathe the kids next.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:57 PM

That famous quote from High River keeps coming to
mind, when the one cop told the lady “There’s nothing quite as much fun as kicking down a door!”
I that event the second best fun was going through peoples bedrooms and dresser drawers ‘looking for firearms’ with their muddy boots on.

Last edited by Oldan Grumpi; 07-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 PM

How many were there to know exactly what happened? All I’m saying is there’s a large amount of discepencies in the HO story and there’s only the HO making a large uproar about his unfortunate events that day. When there were others affected by events that day.

Makes one think it’s a fishing expedition for a gofund me page!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Lol.

Usually, I appreciate your comments.

Active shooter situation is what was (edit: not exactly, but you probably see my point). Not really sure how hard it is to see that. The fact that there were no guns in the house does not change that.

What couldn’t have been dumber is hanging up the phone seeing the seriousness of the situation, refusing to come out because the kids are in the bath for half an hour, yelling and swearing, thinking that you will go and explain to the cops (maybe even with a gun in your hands) what is going on, etc. All of that was pretty dumb.

The neighbour appears to be the problem and what she told the cops.

You stated that when called by the police, it is illegal to hang up the phone first.

Everything else stated is gymnastics, reminding me of the poor girl that broke both her knees.

Take another shot....
Do you think that it is illegal to hang up the phone on the police?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM

Gymnastics is what everyone in this thread is doing

I did not state it was illegal.

No, i do not think it is illegal to hang up the phone on the police. In fact, I closed the door on them once myself when I thought they were being unreasonable and I felt like I was being harassed and my buttons were being pushed for no particular reason. Both parties in that instance, however, knew what the situation was and what could follow. I was ok with potential consequences.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
How many were there to know exactly what happened? All I’m saying is there’s a large amount of discepencies in the HO story and there’s only the HO making a large uproar about his unfortunate events that day. When there were others affected by events that day.

Makes one think it’s a fishing expedition for a gofund me page!
What are the discrepancies?

The only discrepancies I’ve seen so far is guys on here miss quoting him. Or getting the timelines mixed up.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
... I complied...I complied politely...Guess what I complied...I didnt freak out I complied...

...point in all of these is that If I had of responded similar to what this guy...did I more then likely would of been shot..
Agreed. You should always comply with law enforcement. It's really stupid not to.

But there has to be some concern with the increased militarization of our police. The supposed intent is to increase the safety for the police. But really this is an imported fallacy from the US. We used to have better policing in this country because the focus was on de-escalation. It's a shame.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:11 PM

I know all the focus is on how this was handled and it's crazy for sure, but if the call was bogus and meant to get even with the guy from a previous event. I would hope the caller it's self is getting some heat or if anyone is pizzed at someone just call something in. Much been reported on that part of the story? Whole thing is crazy.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

No, i do not think it is illegal to hang up the phone on the police. In fact, I closed the door on them once myself when I thought they were being unreasonable and I felt like I was being harassed and my buttons were being pushed for no particular reason. Both parties in that instance, however, knew what the situation was and what could follow. I was ok with potential consequences.
You did the same thing yourself and yet you condem his actions? Maybe he didn’t realize the severity of the situation on the first phone call?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Simple.

Thank you for bringing some common sense to a good thread that has seemingly turned into a LEO bashing parade. Sure there are members on the force that should not be there, but really how many people work anywhere that doesn't have people that shouldn't be there or know how to do their job properly. And for those who believe the police approached the scene too aggressively, just how do you think someone is going to react to a call of shots being fired at someone. It is a lot easier being an armchair quarterback and say how it should of happened and who done what wrong after hearing only one side of a multiple sided story. For all of those who think that LEO's make too much, feel free to join any law enforcement agency or the military and rake in some of that easy cash for sitting on your a@# and eating doughnuts.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
What are the discrepancies?

The only discrepancies I’ve seen so far is guys on here miss quoting him. Or getting the timelines mixed up.
So what your saying is you were there to know exactly what happened and his story and the police story and the hunters story all match up to what took place that day.