Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Search and Rescie

Folks,

Here is a CBC documentary about local Search and Rescue group based out of Rocky Mountain House.
This volunteer group drags the dead, lost, injured and dying outta the Bush.

Some scary incidents showcased.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/media/absol...5a-011502f626a

Regards,

Don
Old 07-14-2019, 08:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up So that others may live

Special group who put themselfs in harms way to aid a total stranger....after the rescue there is a forever bond!

Unfortunately not all calls are for a rescue as it turns into a recovery......either way....Thx.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Another group in Sundre, they deserve a shout out too, and there are more, all wanting volunteers. You never know when one of us might benefit from their efforts.

Grizz
Old 07-14-2019, 05:51 PM

Thumbs up Search & Rescue

Watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it.

My good friend Richard Smith, now a retired RCMP officer, was a key contributor to the formation of this SAR team. Richard has been involved in SAR for many years, and has taught numerous SAR courses throughout Canada and the U.S.

The opening interview with Monica Ahlstrom, President of SAR Alberta, touched a nerve when she referenced the search for the little boy who had wandered away from camp, and was located in the river the next morning. It touched a nerve because I was involved in that search. I still vividly remember the events and the helpless feeling we all had when the boy was found.

Thanks to all who volunteer for search and rescue - you selfless dedication definitely makes a difference and saves lives. I know you do it "so others may live".

I wish I had the time to volunteer with SAR again - I really loved the time I spent involved with SAR.

Mr Conservation
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

An excellent video regardless of its' CBC origin! One of the SAR volunteers appears to be Chuck Norris...
Old 07-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Monica Ahlstrom, Ahlstrom Helicopters, very helpful combination no doubt.

Grizz
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 AM

For those that might have missed the show on CBC, Shaw & Bell, here is a link to CBC GEM where the show resides.
It is too bad that the show didn’t really mention the volunteer aspect and it is locally funded.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/media/absol...5a-011502f626a

Regards,

Don
Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 PM

I’ll have to give this a look. I spent around 5 years with Cape Breton SAR when I was younger. I’ve experienced both sides of a search which gave me a unique perspective I thought.
Even a recovery was a success as it gave the families closure. Which it did when they recovered my Uncle, and the reason I joined up. My father wrote a letter about his involvement and my uncles search and ended it with saying “today my son asked to join”. They published it in the First Responder magazine that was around at the time. I still have a copy and read it once in a while. I’ve said for 15+ years if I had the time I’d like to volunteer again, I just never had. Perhaps when my kids are older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk