Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Default General power of attorney

Not a right forum, I know, but I am getting confused with the internet.
Do I need an attorney to give a general power of attorney to my son, or is it enough to just have it signed with a witness notarized in Alberta?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Not a right forum, I know, but I am getting confused with the internet.
Do I need an attorney to give a general power of attorney to my son, or is it enough to just have it signed with a witness notarized in Alberta?
May have changed...this was 10 years ago, but when my mother signed over power of attorney to me, it required a lawyer.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Depends

Notarization of anything, witness signature or other, has nothing to do with validity of a power of attorney in Alberta. You should download and read the Powers of Attorney Act (go to Alberta Queen's Printer). Then you have to realize there are several different kinds and a multitude of application options. A POA can be "enduring" or not, contingent on circumstances or not, limited or not, etc. In order to permit dealings with land interests, the POA must contain certain provisions acceptable to the land titles authorities. The attorney who is appointed and acts has to accept and understand their strict legal obligations. Do not pick something off the internet and assume it is at all valid or useful. Instituting a POA without at least minimal competent lawyer assistance is VERY unwise.