Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Default PD Enterprises.

I needed some .257 why mag ammo and they had some so I stopped in. Normally I'm not on that side of town but I was at an auction today. Normally I go to Cabelas or Cdn Tire here in town.

Now I must say, this place is an absolute gem.
Great prices, great people and I even came home with a new .410 shot gun. Wife wasn't thrilled!

I will 1000% be making the trip again even if its out of my way.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:10 PM

It’s true what you say! Local family co. that I’d gladly support vs. any type of large box retailer, especially Cabela’s, CT or any other for that matter. The large retailers couldn’t afford or even remotely come close to the experience and knowledge that PD employs.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:40 PM

They are one of my favourite vendors to see at a gun show, I always buy some ammo from them
Old 09-15-2019, 03:14 AM

While I've never set foot in their store, I've ordered 3 firearms from them on separate occasions, 100% satisfied, would definitely order from them again.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:04 AM

i have bought quite a few guns from them. Awesome service, sound advise, great people.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 AM

I definitely go there any chance I can. Even if it is out of my way do to there location. Bought a couple guns from them and most kid my reloading components too. Always great service and supporting local businesses, good prices too and a nice used section.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
They are one of my favourite vendors to see at a gun show, I always buy some ammo from them
I can’t attend a Calgary Easter show without buying some ammo from them. I try to get there on any trip I make to Edmonton, whether or not I actually buy anything. I have purchased two rifles there in the past, it’s a very nice shop and the staff are all attentive.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Default P & d

Most of the staff are very nice, and some are knowledgeable. Phil, the owner, if you can ever see him in the store is a really nice guy, though his wife can be a bit shall we say short at times. But then again, so can I. Gus in the shotgun department is super helpful and knowledgeable; he is the guy to go too if you want to know if a shotgun fits. The location is not great, but they are a business who grew and ended up buying the building. I wouldn't be surprised to see a relocation in the future because of proximity to Rogers Place. They have a great selection of gear. It's just a good place, plain and simple. I am thankful we have them.

Last edited by sns2; 09-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Love the store.
I’ve known Phil and Diane for many years.
Sure Diane can get rather short, but having worked in sporting goods at one time, I get it, with all the bombastic and borderline nut cases you have to deal with on a never ending basis, I’d be more than a tad short and un humorous, too. I’ll add that Diane always takes a moment to be appreciative and kind when I see her, even when it’s obvious she’s just had to deal with a wonder child in the not so distant past.
Great shop, the staff are above average, and very friendly, selection is always better than the big box stores.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2019, 10:27 AM

They have way better ammo selections than any big box store , that can't be argued
Old 09-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Banned

Great store
Great people
I think they would get more biz if they were closer to the henday
I live in the city and avoid going downtown like the plague
Old 09-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Great store
Great people
I think they would get more biz if they were closer to the henday
I live in the city and avoid going downtown like the plague
x 2 ..... I would love to see a good business like Prophet River or P & D in Calgary......or even closer.

Sadly, there is no competition here....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
x 2 ..... I would love to see a good business like Prophet River or P & D in Calgary......or even closer.

Sadly, there is no competition here....
Pro Line Shooters is here, but of course it’s 1/12th the size of P&D.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM

I try and make a point of stopping in every time I am in the city and saying "Howdy!" to Phil and Dianne, even if I have no intention of buying anything.
Same as when they are in town at our gun shows. They have treated me very well over the years and have given many discounts to me when it comes to buying things from them for raffles, etc.
Tremendous customer service and a great store as well.
Cat
Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 AM

I buy 99 % of my gun and ammo there . Great place , great service and very knowledgeable.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:27 AM

I've had the same experience. Fantastic customer experience every time I'm there. I try to purchase whatever I can from them wherever possible and check there first.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM

P&D has long been the best shop in Edmonton, and now it's the only one. I do stop at Cabela's since I'm by there a lot and P&D's location is poor.

Of course, I buy most of my ammo online in bulk (pistol anyways) as P&D can't compete on price with the folks who sell online since I'm sure the volume moved isn't close.

There's real value in having a shop where there's some relative expertise on the floor, and who will bring in items and has an eclectic selection of wares.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Banned

I too hate P&D's location...but for a different reason.
It's literally four minutes from where I work. Too often on my lunch break I'll wander over just to have a look...always costs me money
Old 09-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I too hate P&D's location...but for a different reason.
It's literally four minutes from where I work. Too often on my lunch break I'll wander over just to have a look...always costs me money
I used to teach one block away in an office building on 114st and 107 ave. One of my former students is responsible for used guns being locked up. He took it upon himself to bolt out of the store with a rifle and run back to his apartment with it. SWAT team came and went in with dogs, machine guns, and a battering ram to knock down the door. I watched it all out my window. Kid shoulda came to school that day. His brain was a sponge from crystal meth. Last I heard he ended up robbing a Staples and taking a few staff hostage while he drank a case of beer waiting for the cops to show up. Not the sharpest student I have ever taught. Came from a good home with hard working parents. He put those people through hell.

Last edited by sns2; 09-24-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:05 PM

Top notch place for sure ..
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 PM

x2
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Most of the staff are very nice, and some are knowledgeable. Phil, the owner, if you can ever see him in the store is a really nice guy, though his wife can be a bit shall we say short at times. But then again, so can I. Gus in the shotgun department is super helpful and knowledgeable; he is the guy to go too if you want to know if a shotgun fits. The location is not great, but they are a business who grew and ended up buying the building. I wouldn't be surprised to see a relocation in the future because of proximity to Rogers Place. They have a great selection of gear. It's just a good place, plain and simple. I am thankful we have them.
x2
Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Love the store.
I’ve known Phil and Diane for many years.
Sure Diane can get rather short, but having worked in sporting goods at one time, I get it, with all the bombastic and borderline nut cases you have to deal with on a never ending basis, I’d be more than a tad short and un humorous, too. I’ll add that Diane always takes a moment to be appreciative and kind when I see her, even when it’s obvious she’s just had to deal with a wonder child in the not so distant past.
Great shop, the staff are above average, and very friendly, selection is always better than the big box stores.
x3
Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I used to teach one block away in an office building on 114st and 107 ave. One of my former students is responsible for used guns being locked up. He took it upon himself to bolt out of the store and run back to his apartment. SWAT team came and went in with dogs, machine guns, and a battering ram to knock down the door. I watched it all out my window. Kid shoulda came to school that day. His brain was a sponge from crystal meth. Last I heard he ended up robbing a Staples and taking a few staff hostage while he drank a case of beer waiting for the cops to show up. Not the sharpest student I have ever taught. Came from a good home with hard working parents. He put those people through hell.
That went sideways in a hurry ..... yikes.

My wife (in education too) can relate to crazy things like that caused by drugs. Unimaginable.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
I used to teach one block away in an office building on 114st and 107 ave. One of my former students is responsible for used guns being locked up. He took it upon himself to bolt out of the store and run back to his apartment. SWAT team came and went in with dogs, machine guns, and a battering ram to knock down the door. I watched it all out my window. Kid shoulda came to school that day. His brain was a sponge from crystal meth. Last I heard he ended up robbing a Staples and taking a few staff hostage while he drank a case of beer waiting for the cops to show up. Not the sharpest student I have ever taught. Came from a good home with hard working parents. He put those people through hell.
I've worked in this area for 25 years now...seen it go from primarily a Vietnamese community to Somali. But it's always been bad. During daylight it is fine, but come dark you just don't want to be here...why many of the store don't ever stay open past 6pm.
I can't count the number of times I've come to work in the morning and some area of 107ave has yellow police tape from an overnight crime.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I needed some .257 why mag ammo and they had some so I stopped in. Normally I'm not on that side of town but I was at an auction today. Normally I go to Cabelas or Cdn Tire here in town.

Now I must say, this place is an absolute gem.
Great prices, great people and I even came home with a new .410 shot gun. Wife wasn't thrilled!

I will 1000% be making the trip again even if its out of my way.
I've bought two handguns from them and a bunch of ammo. I haven't been there for a while but they've always have the best service, and some of the best prices in Edmonton as far as I'm concerned.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-25-2019, 09:21 AM

I have shopped at P&D since they opened many years ago. I have not seen Phil in the store for a very long time. The current co-owner, Chris, who is the SIL of Dianne and Phil is a great fellow to deal with. One of the big advantages of dealing with P&D is they will order almost anything for you as long as they can get it from one of their distributors. Their pricing is quite competitive.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:38 AM

one day I stood at the gun counter at wholesale with credit card and FAC in hand for over a half hour one day. No one else around I couldn't even get them to look my way finally ****ed off I walked away. I headed down to P&D after looking at a few rifles and telling them the events leading me there I purchased two rifles and scopes. I've since bought 6 from them and all of my reloading supplies.
great store and people!
Old 09-27-2019, 08:02 PM

The first time I went in there, I was pleasantly surprised by how much stuff they had in stock. I have only bought one hand gun from them, but they are super competitively priced and I like supporting local, family run businesses. I buy all my reloading expendables, factory loaded ammo and other odds and ends from them and would absolutely buy more firearms from them in the future. Thanks P&D!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:40 AM

also always buy ammo at the big gunshow here from P&D. Will visit for sure when I go to Edmonton next .