Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Default 12 gauge defence recommendations

Hey gang!

I'm looking to acquire a 'coach gun' style 12gauge side-by-side for some bear-county back-up. Looking for new or used, but not interested in China-made products. Can someone recommend brands who make this style?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Stoeger makes one of the more common ones that I've seen.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Pedersoli 20” hammer double
Expensive but top shelf Quality.
I use the 28” model for some time now .
CZ also has a 20” model .
Cat
Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Prophet River has a good selection of Huglu shotguns, they make multiple coach gun models. Huglu makes the CZ O/U and SxS shotguns.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:47 PM

One thing to remember - if you have one with internal hammers there is no way to un-cock it without empty the chambers

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 PM

Any reason why you want a coach style gun and not a pump?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 PM

I fired several slugs through my stoeger coach gun last weekend.
Lots of fun and surprisingly accurate.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:17 PM

Not sure if your set on the shot gun, but I would also look at the 45-70, just as small, a little more accurate, more distance and with a cast bullet will penetrate through bones.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Fair question for sure.

Well... I guess it comes to opinion and a matter of preference, but, having owned the various styles and actions in the past, and in an event where seconds count, my preference is "the less moving parts, and the less to fiddle with, the better." Cocking a hammer is about as simple as it gets.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I ask the same question.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 AM

I kinda like the idea of a coach gun type of thing for bear or 2 legged defense. After doing some digging how about this?

https://www.stoegerindustries.com/co...utback-shotgun

Short and light enough. Instead of cocking the hammers, you'd shoulder it and move the thumb safety in one motion and ready to go. Fires bottom chamber first and the inertial trigger automatically switcher to the top chamber. So would work like a 2 shot semi auto.............. I think I talked myself into getting one!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Default Defence 12 ga

As a bear hunting guide for many years,I was called upon many times to track a wounded bear.The bear now gut shot,badly wounded,is really dangerous.The weapon of choice a short barreled pump,12ga,loaded with slugs.Iron sights,quick to point.The shock of seeing a wounded bear comeing at you,at close quarters,the first shot most likely fired wild,wont be time to reload--I remember just that-The second killed him dead,reflexive panick i hit him again.If that bear gets to you he will lock on and shake you like a rag doll---Oh yes, go with a pump.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Baikal makes a nice one, built better than the Stoegers I believe. They come in hammerless as well, though I prefer having a hammer gun, as I like having a loaded gun without having it cocked and relying on the safety. Though it has a tang safety as well, so you can cock the hammers and use the safety to get it into action a half second quicker. It's an automatic safety which I don't care for, but you can cut the little bar to fix that.

Mine's a 20" barrel model, interchangeable chokes, and extractors. Changed the front bead for a fiber optic right away. Came with sling swivels installed already, so I put a nice little 5/8" shotgun sling on it.

Look for solid slugs, for big stuff. The hollow base slugs suck for penetration, and I don't know about the diabolo style. A little testing might be in order.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:25 AM

With a pump shotgun, If it fails your left with a club. If a sxs hammer gun fails, you have a single shot left in your hands, still deadly. Tradex usually has lots of sxs hammer guns for a reasonable price which can be converted to coach guns.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Save money and buy some bear spray.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM

As a a bear and moose guide and trapper back in the 70’s my preference after using all of them for blacks was a SxS 12 with18” barrels.
Going into the river bottoms and quite often on hands and knees , the SxS worked well and twice I let both barrels go at once on a bear from a distance of literally feet !
Not for the faint of heart and you can also get off two shots with one hand using a SxS , something you cannot do with a pump .
As far as wanting a rifle fir defence work, I have no intention of showing a bear in self defence unless I have to , and then the shotgun is already in my hands .
If I am hunting I have a rifle me already , no need for a shotgun .
Cat
Old 07-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Save money and buy some bear spray.
Bear spray's a good option for a place where you can't carry, and only if the bear isn't determined.

A member on a couple of Canadian forums had to spray a black bear several times. He got him good, but only drove him off a short way, and then he would return. Happened about half a dozen times, IIRC. Eventually he had to shoot him.

Pureblood!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Default Black bear

Wow, That bear very determined.On a test I got some spray in the face---Only make that mistake once---
Old 07-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Wow, That bear very determined.On a test I got some spray in the face---Only make that mistake once---
Guys are trained to fight through it, and some people are so whacked out on heavy stuff, that they barely seem to notice it. I believe bear spray is roughly 2x as strong, but their tolerance to discomfort and pain, is just so high compared to a persons.

Watched one show where they tried to figure out what it would take to repel a bear, from a food source. They draped a van with ammonia soaked rags, or towels, and that didn't phase the bear in the slightest. There was a cooler with food in the van, and he climbed right in, after opening the door.

Pureblood!
Old 07-26-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Prophet River has a good selection of Huglu shotguns, they make multiple coach gun models. Huglu makes the CZ O/U and SxS shotguns.
Here:
https://store.prophetriver.com/sxs-hammer/

I saw one on the rack there a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:37 PM

My "Holy Crap" cannon is a 45-70 double gun. The Pro Hunters in Africa have it figured 2 quick shots are better than 5 in the mag. Stay away from "cool" hammer guns. To many things to put it in motion when fraction of seconds count. Load with GOOD quality slugs only. Shot is for birds. Breneke or similar 3" wil do the damage needed to sop a charge. Aim for the nose it gives the best chance to stop a charge by breaking the spine at the base of the skull. I would agree with a Stoeger but no hammer guns, just way to complicated for the bush. You may be better off finding a SXS bird gun and have a smith cut it to 20" and install rifle sights, sight in and reregulate to 25 yds.. What ever you decide good luck

Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 07-26-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Bear spray's a good option for a place where you can't carry, and only if the bear isn't determined.

A member on a couple of Canadian forums had to spray a black bear several times. He got him good, but only drove him off a short way, and then he would return. Happened about half a dozen times, IIRC. Eventually he had to shoot him.
Ive had the same thing happen. Used a full can of spray, 6 bear bangers, 5 bean bag rounds with chalk to leave marks and 5 rubber bullets all on the same bear in a 72 hour period. Some bears are willing to put up with the pain once they learn its only temporary.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 PM

Get one of these. Brand name is Ricol, I got mine from Corwin on sale. Come in 12 or 14" barrel, 12 or 20 gauge, light and easy to sling. Pretty accurate with slugs to 50 yards. I got one about 5 years ago for a grouse gun in 20 gauge. Thumps grouse great, 20 gauge ammo is cheaper than 410, $7 a box versus $18, works great. Tested lots of slugs in it, shot them all well. My brother liked it so much he eventually talked me out of it.

Reliable Gun In Vancouver has a used 12 gauge in good shape. About $250.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-26-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:41 PM

I like my stoeger coach gun for potentially dangerous situations.
But to each their own.
Whatever you carry, make sure you are confident and comfortable with it.

There's a reason I hunt geese and upland birds with my stoeger. And it's not because it's the best option I have.

I have found it to be really handy in the bush for grouse though.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the input folks! ... awesome posts!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 AM

Default Black bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Ive had the same thing happen. Used a full can of spray, 6 bear bangers, 5 bean bag rounds with chalk to leave marks and 5 rubber bullets all on the same bear in a 72 hour period. Some bears are willing to put up with the pain once they learn its only temporary.
Holy smoly,Dont want to meet that one on a dark night with only awalking stick---get the feel of whats its like to be dinner---nothing personal I am sure----
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Get one of these. Brand name is Ricol, I got mine from Corwin on sale. Come in 12 or 14" barrel, 12 or 20 gauge, light and easy to sling. Pretty accurate with slugs to 50 yards. I got one about 5 years ago for a grouse gun in 20 gauge. Thumps grouse great, 20 gauge ammo is cheaper than 410, $7 a box versus $18, works great. Tested lots of slugs in it, shot them all well. My brother liked it so much he eventually talked me out of it.

Reliable Gun In Vancouver has a used 12 gauge in good shape. About $250.

That thing is sweet!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 AM

This would have been a good option. Looks like it is no longer in production. Maybe find one still in stock at a local store?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/47109...-under-shotgun
Old 07-31-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As a a bear and moose guide and trapper back in the 70’s my preference after using all of them for blacks was a SxS 12 with18” barrels.
Going into the river bottoms and quite often on hands and knees , the SxS worked well and twice I let both barrels go at once on a bear from a distance of literally feet !
Not for the faint of heart and you can also get off two shots with one hand using a SxS , something you cannot do with a pump .
As far as wanting a rifle fir defence work, I have no intention of showing a bear in self defence unless I have to , and then the shotgun is already in my hands .
If I am hunting I have a rifle me already , no need for a shotgun .
Cat
Think Bear spray would have worked in that scenario ?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
This would have been a good option. Looks like it is no longer in production. Maybe find one still in stock at a local store?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/47109...-under-shotgun
Who made the Maverick? Is that a Turkish made gun? I was tempted by the Ricol o/u, but didn't like having to have a cocked gun when I'm out woods rambling. And not of much use if I need it, and it's unloaded. I like my hammer guns, and if I'm expecting action, I can cock the hammers and use the safety also.

Quite a few good older sxs out there and a few o/u on the used market that would be good candidates for getting painted black, and chopped at just over 18", if that's what you are into. Chop, solder, deburr, chamfer, cold blue touch up, and a nice ebony, or gray charcoal wood stain would be pretty sharp. Then I'd take it to a guy with a little more skill than myself to install front and rear sights.

Pureblood!