Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Ozcut hurricane review

I made the decision to try out some new broadheads this year and wanted to share my experiences with you all. I picked up some of the new ozcut hurricane heads in 100gr. Initially I was quite happy with them. They shot very well right out to 95 yards. However this all changed once I put them to use in the field. First use was on a bull elk, quartering to shot at ~10 yards that went through the shoulder and stopped on the offside ribs. In this case the broadhead lost a blade and had some chipping on the foreword edge. I could understand this given the tough shot angle but my second experience was just as bad. A few days after the elk I was fortunate enough to take a whitetail as well. The entry on the deer was forward of the shoulder (face on, slightly turned) at 18 yards. The arrow went along the inside of the shoulder bone and into the lung cavity, stopping short of the offside ribs. This head lost two of its blades, one of which was immediately under the hide ant the entry point. In both cases the animals were recovered quickly enough but blood trails were poor at best. I will try to attach pictures of the heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Ok so pictures worked, heads on the plywood, and the blade are from the deer. The ones with the grass are from the elk.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 PM

yikes those are destroyed.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 PM

Thanks for sharing!

I switched to fixed heads, I’m using Tooth of the Arrow. 1”x1” cut, tune to 100 yards, and they penetrate well. Have yet to break a blade and on my spring bear I went through the bear and into a steel drum, head barely even needed a touch up.

LC
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM

I’m looking at other options now as well, been debating between the tooth of the arrow and the VPA three blade.