Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Default 300win mag vs. 7mm

friens is lookin at buying and wants to kno whats better. he hunts farm land and bush. i told him the 300 will give you the range of bullet weights for both field and bush, but hes heard about th 7mm and the speed it gets and the hard hitting bullets but is worried about the weight of the bullets for the trees. what do you fellow hunters recomend for him.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyescout View Post
friens is lookin at buying and wants to kno whats better. he hunts farm land and bush. i told him the 300 will give you the range of bullet weights for both field and bush, but hes heard about th 7mm and the speed it gets and the hard hitting bullets but is worried about the weight of the bullets for the trees. what do you fellow hunters recomend for him.
I'm pretty sure this will get me into trouble with someone but, just for fun, here goes anyway:

The 300 win mag will do everything the 7mm rem mag will do--- only better.

There. I said it. I bet the fur's going to fly now.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
sheephunter

Heavy bullets and less deflection in the trees is a myth at best. I'm sure either would work fine for him.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Yup, he probably won't notice a bit of difference between the two. The 7Mag does some things better, and the .300WM does other things better. But unless your use and application of the cartridges is fairly specialized, you're not going to notice much, if any difference. Except that the 7RM will recoil noticeably less, and is more likely to enable him to shoot without fear
Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM

300 win all the way
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM

The 300win mag offers a bit more energy, at the cost of more recoil. The "brush busting" cartridge notion is nothing more than a myth.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM

I have owned and reloaded and shot both. For most of what we will be hunting in Alberta I chose the 7mm and sold the .300. The 7mag has way less recoil and kills things just as dead.
Ballistically for what you gain with the 300 you pay a high price in recoil,for most shooters the 7 mag will ecoil less and shoot flat enough for most hunting situations
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Heavy bullets and less deflection in the trees is a myth at best. I'm sure either would work fine for him.
I remember reading an article one time where the author shot through bush at a target with different bullets. Whatever he used it didn't matter. They all deflected by a wide margin.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I remember reading an article one time where the author shot through bush at a target with different bullets. Whatever he used it didn't matter. They all deflected by a wide margin.
Yup, there no predicting nor preventing it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 PM

300 win mag all the way... nothing to say against the 7mm rem mag but the bullet selection get my vote...

300 win is the champ.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyescout View Post
but is worried about the weight of the bullets for the trees.
I like even more gun than 300 mag for trees. I think a Husky gun with those big 9.3 Beaver bullets is the way to go... unless the whole stand charges then all bets are off.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM

If your friend is looking at the best projectile for trees I'd suggest an axe thrown reeeaaaalllly hard. Other than that either caliber will kill an animal just fine, and if you're shooting something through a tree you should seriously reconsider your decision to hunt at all.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Location: depends on what day you ask and how the weather is... ;)

I shoot both a 7 Rem mag and a 300 win mag, same sako's with the same scopes and the same after market stocks. I will say the only thing i use the 300 for is elk hunting and that only due to the bullet wieght / selection. the recoil of the 300 is noticable to say the least. if i was told i could only have one... 7mm all the way!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM

I've owned, shot and hunted both and will never own shoot or hunt with a 300 magnum of any sort again.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
I'm pretty sure this will get me into trouble with someone but, just for fun, here goes anyway:

The 300 win mag will do everything the 7mm rem mag will do--- only better.

There. I said it. I bet the fur's going to fly now.
x2
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM

300 win mag all the way. I like the kick better out of the 300 then that of the 7 mm.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 PM

In my opinion, Magnums start at the 300 Win Mag, 180 gr bullet at 3100 fps, but that's just my opinion.

I've hunted with both, found the 7mm hard to get good velocity results from my rifles, never had that problem with the 300's I've owned and loaded for.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Why even post this? 300 all the way!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've owned, shot and hunted both and will never own shoot or hunt with a 300 magnum of any sort again.
how come??
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 PM

The only thing magnum about the 7mm is the name. It's my wife's magnum of choice
But seriously both are fine imho I have 2 300 win mags and I like them just fine but I wouldn't be afraid to do anything I would do with the 300 with a 7mm. Magnum doesn't make up for poor shot placement
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 AM

Well its a .30cal compared to IIRC .287??? or somewhere close to that. If hes hunting in alberta the 7mmrmag will do great on everything shooting 160gr, or you can shoot 175's or even 120's. Its up to you. The 7mag is a great flat shooting rifle. I have several different rifles, but the only ones to kill anything other then the 7mag I have is my 22-250 and my .22lr The 7mag is my go to gun, and I LOVE IT. Your very question of 300 vs 7mm. May as well ask chevy vs ford to each there own. If you can get your friend down to the range to shoot both calibers.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
how come??
The only difference I could ever see was in the recoil.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM

the difference is very small
actualy if you realy want to see significantly more power out of the 300 at long range, you need to hanload with 200gr boat tail bullets witch have a higher B.C.

personnaly, I prefer the 300 but only because of the better bullet choice for handloading
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
now dont go bringing facts and common sense into this. a thread like this is supposed to be based on nothing but emotion and turn into telling each other how dumb they are for their choices....duh....
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM

I have both. Of the two, the .300 recoils much worse if that is an issue. For myself, when I go hunting, I usually prefer neither, and take my 7mm08 with me. Dead is dead, and nothing I have hit with a 140 gr TTSX - Accubond -Partition - Ballistic Tip from my 7mm08 got up and requested a follow up shot with an Uber Magnum of any caliber, or complained of any ballistic deficiency. We seem to live in an era of 'my truck is bigger than yours, my rifle is bigger than yours, my house, my quad, my sled, my dick.....'. If your friend is really set on one of the two......pick either, and he should learn to tell everyone who shoots something else that they are an idjit. My advice, shoot what you like and don't ask too many people's opinions. I have a friend who shoots everything with a .257 Weatherby, loves it and never has any 'not quite dead' issues. He also hits what he is aiming at, so that helps more than slamming some 180 grainer into your meat at 3100 fps. Much less gets blown apart that way too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
now dont go bringing facts and common sense into this. a thread like this is supposed to be based on nothing but emotion and turn into telling each other how dumb they are for their choices....duh....
Sorry ISB. I guess I better smarten up and get with the spirit of these threads. 7mms are junk, can't hardly kill anything bigger than a coyote unless the ranges is less than 50 yards. 300's are way better and plow through bush like nobodys business. I once shot a bull moose through so much bush I could just make out his outline. My 300 barely deflected a millimeter, severing the aorta of the top of the heart, exactly where I was aiming. The recoil was severe mind you but since I am quite manly it wasn't to bad. So all you 7mm owners out there listen up. Chuck your 7s and get with the 300 crowd OK.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 PM

I like both/have both....you notice the 7mm stw's recoil,but the 300 Roy is a skull cracker.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 PM

according to the internets, the 7mm moves a 150 grain projectile at about the same velocity the 300 WM moves a 180 grain projectile.

In terms of comparing diameters as to wether the 7mm is a less capable bullet, well compare the numbers 284 to 308, there is about 8% difference in diameter. Thats not alot.

Whats left over, are you hunting elk or bear alot? The 300WM will fire a 220 grain nosler accubond or similar and at a pretty good range and lends to perhaps a bit more confidence to prevent a wounded animal running far.

The 7mm will realistically get that done about just as well with a good projectile and shot placement though.

So, then the biggest comparing factor left for the average hunter would be recoil. Whats your comfort level for the 7 vs. the 300?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM

I have a .300 but it has taken me 80 rounds over 4 visits to the range to start enjoying to shoot it but now I love it, the sense of power you feel is such a great feeling. my shoulder might get a little sore the next day but its worth it.

Jason
Old 06-28-2012, 07:12 AM

No matter what I'm hunting I always have a 300 win with me. I may not be using it, but it's there. I have several different 7's but never found the itch for a 7 Rem.

280 will do everthing a 7 Rem will with a pointblank difference of only about 15 yards on a 10 inch target. If you want faster go 7 stw.

Nothing wrong with the 7 Rem Mag, in fact it's a great cartridge but a 300 with 180's is tough to beat.