Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2018, 10:22 PM

Question Kijiji Ads Looking For Land to Hunt On lol

Ok from time to time I look for "hunting land" for sale on Kijiji. Toying with buying a quarter up north where I hunt and want comparables. I see non stop ads of guys who are looking for land to hunt on. There are tons of these ads. Now I'm not going to look down my nose too hard but man, does that ever garner response? I would never take that approach personally, but I'm curious if anyone's tried it. There has to be people on this forum who've done it based on the sheer volume of ads on there.

Gaining Permission is definitely an art. But I can't see this working very well. There seems to be some misconceptions regarding "problem" wildlife. I've yet to meet a farmer who opens his doors as a result of these "problems" that most of these ads are looking to solve.... not saying it doesn't happen but it's rare a guy wil open his gates to every man and his dog looking to take an elk outta the herd.
Late night musings out of curiosity....
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 PM

Oh man! Posting on Kijiji requesting permission.. There lies the exact problem!! People just don’t get it, and I honestly believe these types never will!! Kijiji!!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:09 AM

This could be the new tool going forward.

Rent the land for access, that way the land owns see some return on their investment, and end up with a group of hunters that keep an eye on the property.

Kind of a win win for land owners and those trying to secure a recreational plot to hang out,,, folks to maintain the trials and property along with other benefits.

There are lots of properties up North that have camp plots set up on them.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

Rent the land for access, that way the land owns see some return on their investment, and end up with a group of hunters that keep an eye on the property.

Kind of a win win for land owners and those trying to secure a recreational plot to hang out,,, folks to maintain the trials and property along with other benefits.

The issue with that idea, is that it is illegal to rent property to gain access for hunting.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The issue with that idea, is that it is illegal to rent property to gain access for hunting.
if I had opportunity to rent one of 2 different quarters, equal distance away with similar acres for making hay, but one was in a much better area for wildlife and hunting, both of which would be otherwise inaccessible, which one would you think I would pick to rent?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:

It's Even worse than you're suggesting. Guys are openly asking for (free) permission....
countless ads.

I don't like the approach at all and would never try it. I'm seriously curious if it works though. Based on volume I'm guessing it does lol
Old 10-29-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
if I had opportunity to rent one of 2 different quarters, equal distance away with similar acres for making hay, but one was in a much better area for wildlife and hunting, both of which would be otherwise inaccessible, which one would you think I would pick to rent?
The key words being " for making hay".
Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM

I have never done this for big game hunting but have seeked gopher spots this way.But I also put a lot of time driving around looking and door knocking also.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I have never done this for big game hunting but have seeked gopher spots this way.But I also put a lot of time driving around looking and door knocking also.
Did it work???
Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
except fish and wild life are allowing cash payments for permissions on land. Example the CLAS thats skirting this law.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 PM

Yes I got permission on 2 different owners property
But it will be time to look for a new fields they are almost shot out
Old 10-29-2018, 11:36 PM

I actually got permission from someone looking to get rid of the pesky deer on his land. He actually posted LOOKING for hunters.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM

Purhaps I should of worded it a different way.

Rent a camping plot to a family that is out-door recreational oriented to keep an eye on the place,,, of course allow them solo access for hunting if that's thier thing.

Of course the family group of folks the land owner rents to don't need to be hunters either,,, purhaps they enjoy camping all season long doing summer and winter stuff.

Yes, not the idea of paying for hunting privileges that is.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:44 AM

I have never posted asking for access, but I have had landowners contact me on this forum, to offer me access for ground squirrels and geese, after reading my posts supporting landowners and condemning trespassing.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Purhaps I should of worded it a different way.

Rent a camping plot to a family that is out-door recreational oriented to keep an eye on the place,,, of course allow them solo access for hunting if that's thier thing.

Of course the family group of folks the land owner rents to don't need to be hunters either,,, purhaps they enjoy camping all season long doing summer and winter stuff.

Yes, not the idea of paying for hunting privileges that is.
I’ve seen this idea tried once. I don’t believe any rent changed hands but a family put up a little cabin on a neighbors piece of property promising to look after things. It did not turn out well as the family overused the site bringing in all sorts of other people ripping things up with atvs and became a big problem with adjacent land owners especially during big game season. Land owner had enough and kicked them off. Cabin was moved out.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
Why would you assume you have permission to hunt on land rented for farming purposes? Just because you (hypothetically I know you meant) rented it for hay making doesn’t mean it carries any other rights (unless written into the rental agreement).
Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

I've done it. Within a week of posting the add i had 3 landowners contact me and give access.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 PM

I too have tried posting on Kijiji, but prefer actually taking the time to meet the land owners and ask permission face to face. Social media and electronic advertising is ever where now and I don't think it's going away any time soon.
Hey if it work for the politicians,...you never know. The more you put out there in all realms the more results you should see.