Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 02:03 PM

Default thoughts on Tikka T3x LITE Stainless

I presently own a Browning A-Bolt I Medallion in 338 win mag that was meant to take on our moose hunts... For the life of me, short of seeing a gunsmith, I can not get this rifle to shoot... There's something that keeps it from shooting less than 4"-5" groups... I've tried several powders, bullets, differing bullet weights and many different factory ammo... I've changed scopes, rings, bases, rail... I'm going to park this rifle and come back to it in a couple years.. I'm sick of it...

I'm wanting another 338 win... Would the composite stock on the factory Tikka T3x LITE Stainless be suitable (without having to go aftermarket)? I just want a stock rifle to hunt with, but not a wet noodle... Would this Tikka in 338 win mag suit my needs and would the factory stock survive a 338 win? Any help is appreciated... I know nothing of Tikkas... Thanks

Last edited by eschafer; 10-19-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:55 PM

I'm going into my second season with a T3X lite, although mines in .300Winmag.
I really like it. Very smooth action. I found it pretty easy to find an accurate load for. I had no trouble getting down to the 5/8" range for 5 shot groups, using TTSX bullets.

It's maybe a bit punchy (recoil), but that only ever is an issue during a long day of load development. And you kindof expect that with a lighter rifle. I've never noticed the recoil while shooting from field positions.

The only things I've changed on mine are I replaced the bottom metal and magazine with Mountain Tactical Bottom metal and magazine. The factory bottom metal is just thermoplastic. The factory magazines are fine, i only replaced it because I impulse bought the Mountain Tactical one while ordering the bottom metal.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 PM

This one’s a 3006.
With the factory brake and a limbsaver it’s like shooting a 22.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E262F6FA-F6A3-4EB7-8263-EFF8E9E46980.jpg (39.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 03:41 PM

The T-3 has an excellent trigger and the ones that I have owned and loaded for were all sub moa rifles. However, a light rifle in 338win, is going to be a little harsh recoil wise.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:56 PM

I have two, 223 and 270 wsm. Both are great, accurate and reliable. I've had browning and sako, and those 2 brands are off the list forever. I changed the stoke on my 270, replaced it with a bell and carlson, it wasn't needed, I just wanted a different style.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:00 PM

My thoughts, and my only concern is as mentioned ..... for some reason these Tikkas kick with an abrupt viciousness like no other factory rifle out there. A 338 would be punishing.

Having said that, they are absolutely excellent rifles and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up in any small or moderate kicking cartridge.

You could consider a Weatherby Vanguard - they are much easier on the shoulder, albeit, quite a bit heavier. Also very solid rifles.

These two are the best bang for your buck in my opinion at that price point.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:41 PM

I picked up a t3x lite in .300 win mag last season and absolutely love it. It’s a shooter. I got KS Arms to install a break and filled the stock with spray home and it’s very comfortable to shoot, as others said stock i shot a couple boxes of ammo out of it and it was a bit much recoil wise. With the break installed it’s great.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:57 PM

I had 9 Tikkas, down to 7 now. They all shoot great. The biggest is a 300wm in a laminate stock. I think the synthetic stock in a 338 wm with heavy bullets might be a little punishing on the shoulder.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschafer View Post
I presently own a Browning A-Bolt I Medallion in 338 win mag that was meant to take on our moose hunts... For the life of me, short of seeing a gunsmith, I can not get this rifle to shoot... There's something that keeps it from shooting less than 4"-5" groups... I've tried several powders, bullets, differing bullet weights and many different factory ammo... I've changed scopes, rings, bases, rail... I'm going to park this rifle and come back to it in a couple years.. I'm sick of it...

I'm wanting another 338 win... Would the composite stock on the factory Tikka T3x LITE Stainless be suitable (without having to go aftermarket)? I just want a stock rifle to hunt with, but not a wet noodle... Would this Tikka in 338 win mag suit my needs and would the factory stock survive a 338 win? Any help is appreciated... I know nothing of Tikkas... Thanks
Have you given it a good cleaning? A friend bought a 300rum from a guy who had the same issue with grouping. Turns out the rifle had a LOT of copper fouling. Buddy used a good copper cleaner and after it turned out to be a sub moa rifle. Got it for a bargain as the owner couldn’t get it to group.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Have you given it a good cleaning? A friend bought a 300rum from a guy who had the same issue with grouping. Turns out the rifle had a LOT of copper fouling. Buddy used a good copper cleaner and after it turned out to be a sub moa rifle. Got it for a bargain as the owner couldn’t get it to group.
I've cleaned it with Bore Tech Cu+2 as thoroughly as I felt was necessary... Perhaps it needs more scrubbing?.... Just ordered a Teslong bore scope... Going to see if a carbon ring is causing problems too...

Can a dirty copper fouled barrel cause 4.5" groups? Thanks...
Old 10-20-2021, 08:04 AM

smooth actions. inherently accurate. Wouldn't want to shoot a lite version in a 338 win mag.

I know B&C stocks aren't regarded as "high end" aftermarket stocks but I have one on my model 70 extreme weather and I am very impressed with it. It would add some weight and a cheek piece over the factory stock...which would be a good thing on a 338.

what would i do - Dump the Browning and move on to something else.

Last edited by jayquiver; 10-20-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My thoughts, and my only concern is as mentioned ..... for some reason these Tikkas kick with an abrupt viciousness like no other factory rifle out there. A 338 would be punishing.

Having said that, they are absolutely excellent rifles and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up in any small or moderate kicking cartridge.

You could consider a Weatherby Vanguard - they are much easier on the shoulder, albeit, quite a bit heavier. Also very solid rifles.

I agree the T3 lite rifles are not great with recoil. Accurate nice rifles but I would probably consider something else if you want a caliber with heavy recoil
Old 10-20-2021, 09:56 AM

Don’t buy a lite in a magnum. Rips your shoulders off. Buy wood.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I agree with this 100%. I also ran both Tikka T3, Tikka T3X Super Light (in .308) and Weatherby Vanguard II in .300WM. I swear the .300WM Vanguard soaked up recoil better than the .308 Tikka. Tikka's are smooth and have great triggers but I actually like the 2-stage trigger on the vanguard better and the whole rifle felt more solid. Yes it was heavier and with softer butt pad, mitigating the recoil more but just felt much more solid and more comfy to shoot overall. The Weatherby stock always seemed weird to me but I did find it very comfortable. If you want Tikka regardless, put a decelerator pad on it.

I think Tikka, Sako and Ruger stock just don't fit me. They all kick more than the caliber, whatever it is, should.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:23 PM

I have owned and shot a lot of Tikkas over the years. For the money they are fantastic rifles, and are as accurate as any hunting grade factory rifle out of the box. For me, any caliber heavier than a 270 automatically gets dropped into a Bell & Carlson aftermarket stock. As many others have stated, the recoil from a 338 in a Tikka factory synthetic stock will be nothing short of rude.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:12 PM

Own several tikka t3s and all very accurate great guns. Recoil wise I have a 300wsm in a super light with a fluted bolt to boot. I traded a 338-378 weatherby on it because I hated carrying the weight. First time I shot the tikka it rattled my brain and i thought good God what have I done. I put a limbsaver pad on it and it's better but far from my favorite rifle to shoot recoil wise. Such a sharp nasty kick.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:30 PM

I would NOT want to shoot a 338 WM in a T3X without a brake and also a wooden stock. I'd look elsewhere, make some modifications, or step down in caliber size.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:

This ^^^^
Old 10-20-2021, 07:47 PM

I would never ever consider a T3X in 338 win mag. Not interested in getting scoped, bruised, or a flinch. Never.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies... seems I'll take your good advice and caliber down or find a 338 win in a heavier, wooden stock...
Old 10-20-2021, 11:12 PM

338 is a lot of gun, imo. I would caliber down (quite a bit) even I was putting a better stock on a tikka.

Edit: just to note, not saying it is wrong or right, just personal preference, as we all have ours and some prefer 338.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
338 is a lot of gun, imo. I would caliber down (quite a bit) even I was putting a better stock on a tikka.

Edit: just to note, not saying it is wrong or right, just personal preference, as we all have ours and some prefer 338.
Understood... Thanks for your thoughts.....
Old 10-21-2021, 01:35 AM

I had a T3 Hunter 30-06 with a factory wooden stock. It had minimum recoil. Could have shot it all day long. With a 4x12 Bushnell it was still a fairly light gun. Excellent shooter new right out of the box. If you aren't partial to a .338 a 30.06 is adequate for pretty much anything that needs shooting.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:36 AM

I've had one for several years now.
I put a lifesaver pad on it and using adjectives to describe the recoil such as brutal, punishing, painful, flinching inducing etc is an extremely exaggeration.
If you own a 338 you already know that cartridge will produce a larger slow push and higher muzzle climb.
It's a little bit more of that in a T3 Lite but very manageable if a quick follow up shot is required.
As others have said, smooth action, great trigger adjustable down to 2 lbs and sub MOA accuracy.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 AM

I'm wanting another 338 win... Would the composite stock on the factory Tikka T3x LITE Stainless be suitable (without having to go aftermarket)? I just want a stock rifle to hunt with, but not a wet noodle... Would this Tikka in 338 win mag suit my needs and would the factory stock survive a 338 win? Any help is appreciated... I know nothing of Tikkas... Thanks[/QUOTE]

You will be happy with the quality of the Tikka. The stock will hold up fine. If you find the recoil is a bit stout it's really easy to add some weight to the stock and still maintain balance- glue in lead shot in the forearm cavity and butt. If you still don't like it you could try a Boyd's or B&C stock to add weight. Or just buy the Hunter model.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:49 AM

Had one in 270wsm, what a nice gun, sadly sold it to fund a custom. Put a B&C stock on it at a minimum and enjoy.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:57 AM

I have a Tika in a 300 wm with a Boyd’s thumbhole stock with bottom metal and a limbsaver, removable brake I could part with that’s a step down from a 338
Old 10-23-2021, 12:19 PM

My only beef with the Tikka T3X lite is the detachable mags, never have liked a detachable mag in any gun though. And as they go, they are an OK mag. I'd much prefer e hinged floorplate or a blind mag. I may yet yank the stock on this one and change it out to a McMillan or something to turf the detachable mag system. Like I said though, that's just me. There are other models in the T3X you can check out other than the Lite as well, which may suit you better. And a LImbsaver or a Decelerator may well be all you really need to do to a Lite in the magnum cartridges as well, just one of those things you have to find out for yourself, other people's recoil sensirivities and reactions are definitely not something to be relied upon.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Spot on!. I like Tikka, have had a few. T3 in 338 mag is a BAD idea. I like boomers and I like really light guns, but the two together is no bueno. Weatherby V or Vanguard, Ruger 77 or a Winchester model 70, CZ 550, or even a Zastava would all be far better options for a 338.